“great hotel”
Review of Grand Hyatt Dubai

Grand Hyatt Dubai
Ranked #46 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Just got back today from Grand Hyatt, rooms were really huge, very clean and very elegand always spotless.
Pool and gardens lovely, food good too
Great hotel, location not so good as you need to get taxis everywhere.

For all those people who said it is not 5 star, are you sure you got the right hote.
One negative that did spoil it though on friday morning the start of the weekend the whole pool was taken over with local children and familes, we had to move as we could not get into the pool for swimming lessons etc. A day to go shopping!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vampira22
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Dubai

Reviewed 14 May 2010

This was our 4th trip to Dubai for a leisure trip. Here's why Dubai is great: guaranteed weather, exceptional service (unrivaled in the world!), fantastic beaches and malls; buildings from the future.

We've previously stayed at spa & resort hotels on Jumeirah beach but these were out of our price range this year. We looked at many hotels and were really impressed by the Grand Hyatt from the reviews and photographs.

It's a city hotel, close to the aiport but with no noise. The grounds are pretty big as is the hotel. The lobby has a real 'wow' factor. The hotel is huge and VERY clean.

When we arrived, our room wasn't ready but we were offered use of the spa (very nice!) and complimentary coffees. We booked a non-smoking room but I asked to be moved as I could still smell remnants of a previous smoker. Our new room was much better and had great view over the city to the Burj Dubai/Khalifa.

Room: (Grand room) fairly large with flatscreen Samsung TV, complimentary fruit and water, robes, slippers, etc. Bathroom was pretty impressive - walk in shower, dual sinks, nice products.

Breakfast: make sure you go B&B! Breakfast is very expensive otherwise. It was wasted on me as I'm a simple breakfast eater but there literally was not a thing you could not want for. Seriously. This was very well organised. Situated next to the mini rainforest was nice and open until 11:30am for a long lie in!

Food/restaurants: unless you're a millionaire, the hotel was very expensive for drinks and food. It may have been the exchange rate but it was much more expensive than previous years. During the day, we went to the small shop in the hotel and bought cans of juice and then asked for a glass of ice at the pool (much cheaper).

Within the hotel, there was a very nice Italian deli that sold cakes and ice-cream at semi-reasonable prices. Dubai has come on leaps and bounds though in the past two years with the Dubai Mall offering many good restaurants, as does the Jumeriah Beach Residences (The Walk) area. That's where we ate most nights.

Staff: very friendly and helpful.

Overall: it's a huge hotel. In many ways, it's actually better than Le Royal Meridien and the Jebel Ali Beach Resort & Spa (although the later has just had a makeover). Price reflects location (no beach) but everywhere is a taxi ride away. It is predominately a business hotel but it's the best one in the city and offers very good recreational facilities (gym, spa, indoor and outdoor pools, squash, outdoor tennis).

Do go to the Dubai Mall (next to world's tallest building and a very impressive water display - best at night). Do visit The Walk at Jumeriah residences.

I'd go back without a moment's thought.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MyTripAdviceUk
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Having been delayed due to the ash crisis, we were placed in this hotel by Virgin. Although it is quite near the airport, you would never know. The pool area is lovely, large, warm water and great sunbeds. The staff are not on the same level as hotels along Jumeirah Beach, possibly a language barrier problem. Being near the Wafi mall is good, restaurants within hotel ok. Average rooms were comfortable but turn down hit and miss. Would not choose to go back here as prefer beach side but not a bad place for a stop over or short trip.

1  Thank MickeyBEssex_England
Management response:Responded 12 May 2010

Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, It is real encouraging to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Hyatt Dubai. I assure you that more emphasis is given on language issues of our staff especially at pool side and other leisure facilities .

Thanking you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back to stay with us on your next visit to Dubai.

Regards
Jan Peter van der Ree

Reviewed 8 May 2010

We were a group of 3 couples with 3 small children on a leisure trip... Our stay at the hotel was all we could ask for... We were all upgraded to the Creek View Rooms, which were visibly quite larger than the Grand rooms we had booked... These rooms had an extended free area by the bedside which was great for our kids to play around !

The rooms had a very beautiful creek view, all the amenities, incl a 32" LCD, DVD player ( which we had requested separately ), coffee maker etc... The bathrooms were huge & one of the best i've ever seen in a hotel..

Breakfast at the Market Cafe was very elaborate ( even though their menu remains exactly the same e'day )... The sound of the water flowing was very soothing...

The hotel is located quite in the center of Dubai & all major attractions & malls are within 15-20 mins radius... Local taxis are readily available right at the hotel entrance door at all times...

One more thing for people traveling wid small childrens... the hotel has the best child pool which, just abt 1.5 ft deep.... & had a beautiful slide & rain shower installed right in the middle of it... our kids just luved it !

1  Thank VivekGadia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Unfortunately I encountered bed mites for the first time in my life. It took me 2 days to realize this and when I asked for the manager and explained the situation, he actually suggested I brought them in from my flight from Germany. He swiftly had a new room on hand - huge compared with our other room but also far away from the elevators making our trek to the pool a long one. I was travelling with a young child and my mum who is in her 70's. The new room did not offer a creek view - an upgrade that I was paying for. Additionally, the manager assured that all our luggage and clothes would be moved for us so I naturally assumed that my dresses that were hung up on clothes hangers would be moved to the new room in the same state. When we arrived in our new room we were horrified to find that all our clothes had been thrown into hotel laundry bags and other items simply thrown onto the floor! Absoutely not acceptable in my view. I had the feeling that we were being moved furthest away from other guests at the end of the hotel with "our" problem. I later went down to the lobby and requested to speak to the same manager only to be told to wait 10 minutes - which I did. After 20 minutes I went back to the front desk to ask when the manager would be available, only to be told he was still out, maam. I then did loose my temper a little and asked to see another manager. The new manager was immediately helpful after I explained to him what happened and had a new room ready in a few minutes. He made a list of all items that should be ironed and also offered us access to the executive lounge for the rest of our stay. When we got to our new room our clothes had all been put away and our luggage stowed properly. This is the kind of service I would have expected in the first instance at a hotel of this apparent standard. Also, at this hotel it is really apparent that tourists are not really warmly welcomed. When I checked out my bill showed that they had still charged my for the upgrade of a creek view (we had booked a grand room with twin beds but this could not accomodate a rollaway bed for my 5 year old daughter) room at which I was surprised after all the hassle my family had to go through. I did not complain, I was just happy to be heading home.
On a positive note, the pool area is stunning, fun and clean. The lifeguards are really friendly and always had an eye on my daughter, even though I was always in the pool with her. Sunbeds were always available and the towel butler always had towels ready for us. A really nice place to relax in the afternoons.

1  Thank MiaElza
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Me and my husband stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 4 nights on our honeymoon and couldnt fault a thing very clean good staff and it was our honeymoon so they upgraded us and gave us the most amazing choc cake the pool is good too. Although the pool is great would say the hotel is more for adults the breakfast is fantasic everything you could want. The location is not great though but only about £10 in taxi to main Jumaihra Beach all in all would def recommend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BognorGirl
Reviewed 11 April 2010

The Grand Hyatt Dubai is located quite centrally, a 10-minute drive from the airport. On the east-side, it is overlooking the pool-area, the Dubai Creek and the Dubai Golf&Country Club. On the west-side, it is overlooking the business district (including a view of the Burj Khalifa) and the desert.

I visited the Grand Hyatt Dubai with 6 family-members (incl. myself). We stayed for a week in three separate Grand Club rooms on the 14th floor. The Grand Club Lounge, also located on the 14th floor, is quite intimate. Although being the largest Grand Club Lounge I've seen so far (I can compare with Bangkok, Singapore and Bali), it has a very private and cosy feel to it since it is split up in three different rooms. Service and food is up to par with what could be expected from the Grand Club Lounge. No complaints whatsoever. Great plus: Grand Club guests get complementary airport limousine service, using extended BMW 7-series.

The Grand Club rooms are serviced twice a day. I don't know if this goes for the normal rooms as well. Rooms were always very clean, although on multiple occasions not everything in the bathroom was refilled or replaced.
The rooms looked good. Kingsize bed was of good quality. TV has about 70 channels. Free internet. Bathroom was perfect. Huge shower, unfortunately no rainshower-style showerhead. Toilet is separated by a glass door.

The hotel has multiple restaurants, all superb quality when it comes to food and service. Some have an outside terrace as well, including garden-view. Restaurants are not exactly cheap, prices compare to high-end restaurants in Europe.

The pool-area is not as big as one would expect from a 650+ room hotel, but is was not crowded al all. The main pool and the kids pool are apart from eachother. Service at the main pool was good, service at the kids pool seemed to be non existent. The spa and the gym are located next to a smaller indoor pool. The gym has great equipment, but is quite small. Too bad the gym does not have a small bar which serves punches and protein-shakes. Only non-cooled water is available.

Location of the hotel could be better for leisure-purposes. Main attractions are not exactly nearby, at least a 15 min. taxi-drive. Of all high-end Dubai hotels, the Grand Hyatt is situated furthest from the beach. Location is ideal for business though.

Some other positives and negatives:

+ Lots of congierge at the main entrance, providing great and adequate service;
+ Huge lobby, including a small indoor rainforest and lots of small creeks;
+ Great beds at the pool;

- Although explicitly asked for, no wheelchair was available upon check-in. For my physically challenged grandma, waiting 25 mins. provided a problem (hopefully an incident, it was made up for by a bottle of wine on our room)
- Probably another incident: one night we were woken up at about 0:45AM by a congierge delivering a bunch of suitcases to our room. They weren't ours.

3  Thank rpd051