“A Beach hotel with average facilities”

Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel
Ranked #95 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I would agree with other reviewers here that the reception staff upon check in and out are not very friendly and seem only to want to get you to upgrade your room. It is also confusing that they insist upon charging your credit card upon arrival for an estimated amount for food and drinks for your stay then adjusting the balance when checking out. I have not encountered this before usually getting charged for a tab upon departure I can only guess that the hotel has been subject to people running up big bills and then leaving the country without paying. The hotels restaurants are on the expensive side especially for drinks even for a Dubai hotel .On our first night we discovered the delights of the horizon pool bar on the 3rd floor. The hotel has 2 towers each with a side facing the bar. On regular occasions this bar is hired out for private functions and turned into a full blown outside nightclub going on until 2-30 AM which is fine if you are part of Dubai’s large 20 something banker set but not for the vast majority of the hotels paying guests. I complained early and we were able to be moved others were not so lucky, in fairness the hotel apologised and gave us a free meal in their restaurant during our stay. I would strongly advise anyone upon check in to insist that they have a room facing away from the horizon pool bar unless that is what they want from their stay. The hotel also has a pub with football and draught larger also best avoided unless this is what you go to Dubai for, I would have thought these guests would prefer the Costas. There are a few other gripes , the shades on the beach sun beds are either torn or missing there are not enough sun beds around the pool area for the number of guests so they get reserved with towels before breakfast – annoying ,it gets very busy at breakfast and the restaurant struggles to cope. The hotel is not all bad the tower rooms are a good size with a great bathroom it’s spotlessly clean and has a nice reception area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel

Reviewed 29 December 2009

Stayed with my 2 small children over xmas and was worried after i read reviews on here. i think you get what you pay for here.

Mangement- I emailed twice before getting there to say i had two small kids and would like a quiet room away from the bar- so was surprised when we arrived to be looking over it!! on the 10th floor- we couldn't here anything until they had 2 massive partys. we complained to the manager who offered us dinner in the hotel- but said they were booked and couldn't move us. we complanied the follwoinf night and was moved to a tower suite room, which was lovely.

-location- is great. close to everything. you can walk to jumeriah walk for restaurants and coffee etc. the marina is 10 dhr in a cab. they will get you local cabs if you ask them. do not take the hotel cabs.

- kids- there is a good kids menu. the kids pool is small but fine. however is not heated in the winter so was cold for us. my son was quite happy in the big pool with the spa bubbles. They also wouldn't warm up my kids milk in the morning and bring it too me. So i put boiling water in the ice bucket and that worked just fine.

beach- this hotel is big, so it takes a couple of mins to get to the beach and the beach itself is big. so its not a beach/pool hotel, you need to pick one to sit on adn then make an effort to got the other one. you can hear the construction on the beach, but it didn't really bother anyone. you can't hear it at all on the pool.

-Overall it was a nice hotel in a good location. it was clean and the pool and beach were nice. Its def not that all out luxury that you can get in dubai- but that comes at a price.

would i stay here again- not unless it was considerable cheaper than other hotels.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Hotel was very nice and clean, good staff ,we had a tower sea room which was very nice. Good views, A very friendly hotel.

vince

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I'm not going to add more than what other guest have said about how poor it was. The front desk staff was not helpful and professional as I expected. Throughout my staying in this hotel, I had to change my room four times where every time I found a problem such as AC was not OK or the main entrance has a gap were any one can see me inside the room. In addition, parties on the pool were too loud what made me couldn't sleep before 2 AM every night. I strongly don't recommend this hotel for the rate they are charging. I strongly suggest for the management to conceder better maintenance in the future. I am totally dissatisfied.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Travelled with my wife to Dubai on a business trip and stayed in Habtoor Grand for a period of two full weeks. The hotel is located in a new constructed area where lots of new skyscrapers being constructed generating dust all over the place. The resort consists of two towers linked by the entrance and lobby on the ground floor and a swimming pool/bar on a higher floor. To summarize my review I will pinpoint the positives and the negatives of this hotel:

Positives:
-Location is not very bad but far away from the entertainment areas (malls, downtown…etc). However, the walk in the marina is very beautiful where you will find many different shops, restaurants, pharmacies, and a supermarket. Don’t forget your camera with you especially for if you’re interested in cars! ;)
-Free buss shuttle everyday from the hotel to the malls and backwards. The hotel will provide a schedule for the timings. The buss goes to almost every known mall in Dubai and for free!
-Breakfast at the hotel is not really bad, plenty of selections and not very crowded as compared to other hotels. Service at the breakfast area is superior.

Negatives:
-Hotel price compared with the quality of Rooms is not matching. The room is small, and not stylish at all. The bathroom is much nicer but watch out when taking a rain-shower; you have to open the water and run out quickly before cold water drops on your head).
-Room walls are somehow thin as we were able to hear the TV of our next door! Also we were able to hear anything happens in the corridor.
-Prices!! Do not even think of drinking a Pepsi can unless you are willing to pay 25 AED (equivalent to 6.8 USD). Food is also overpriced and the room-service menu has limited food selections. Once, I ordered to the room, the food came COLD! And had to return it back to them! Don’t use the mini-bar too! It is as expensive…
-Hotel staff does not smile, greet or help as opposed to other international hotels. The attitude is not very ‘smart’ and they all require more attention and training! Basically “we did not feel that we were welcomed”.
-Room is not clean! Dust is seen above many surfaces and nothing was cleaned even after complaining! This is not acceptable!
-If you like to sleep early (before 3 AM) do not even think of sleeping in this hotel…the swimming pool bar/club music is so loud that you will start singing music while you’re in bed! You will even start dancing because of the bass!!! That is frustrating given the fact that the bar/club is located between the two towers!!
-Internet is like crazy expensive! 45 AED per hour (equivalent to 12.2 USD) and 100 AED for 24 hours (27.22 USD). No free Internet in the lobby! What a rip-off!!!
-Laundry… Although I never tried it but I heard from my colleague that it’s expensive, they charged 45 AED (12.2 USD) for pressing a two piece suit. Again… What a rip-off!!!
-I noticed that water sports are very expensive so watch out (not sure if it’s the same across all Dubai resorts).
-Overall, the look and feel of this hotel is unsatisfactory given the above reason. These reasons will make me never come back again to the Habtoor hotel.

Imagine, just because I complained about the above negatives they offered me a late checkout until 3 PM (although I had it before through a contract- funny huh??) and a free airport drop-off. It would have been much smarter if they gave a free night or a dinner at one of the hotel restaurants at least. Hey! I stayed two weeks (14 nights) in that hotel!! Not only one or two or three days! Sorry, what a poor management!

Trust what I’m saying, I tried many different 5 star hotels around the world and this hotel is a rip-off when comparing it with the quality of service and overall satisfaction! Dubai has plenty of other international REAL 5 star hotels with the same price, better quality, and staff will be eager to have you in and pamper you and let you be satisfied!!

Wish you a safe trip to Dubai and a better stay at a better resort/hotel…

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Sbadr
Reviewed 20 December 2009

My wife and i stayed here for two nights on the way back from Australia at the end of November. We arrived early in the morning and our room was made available quickly. The room was excellent and the breakfast was also very good. The staff were helpful and the gym is brilliant.

BUT.... This hotel has two towers. Between the two towers is a pool and bar on the roof of the foyer. This pool and bar is three floors up. On our last nght the bar opened its doors to the Dubai public and proceeded to bang out dance music that was that loud you could feel the bass in bed. This stopped us sleeping and it was not until 1am after we had complained were we moved rooms. We had to be up early the next day so we only got five hoours of rubbish sleep.

WORSE... We tried to complain the next morning to the duty manager who refunded $70 worth of our bill. But this was only after he supressed a smile and made us feel completely unvalued and unwanted.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlDantravels
Reviewed 18 December 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights after spending 10 nights in the maldives for our honeymoon.

Cant fault the hotel other than the obvious building work going on around Dubai. The service and friendlyness by the hotel staff was lovely. Our room was upgraded to a sea view tower room and was very spacious. Nice little touches which I feel make it 5 star.

Horizon pool bar is lovely. Breakfast offers an excellent choice and in particular loved the omelette station. Room service efficient and the cheese cake was delicious.

Would definately recommend this hotel to others and I would say to anyone reading the more negative reviews to not listen to these too much as from my experience this really was a lovely stay in Dubai.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
HGRS, Hotel Manager at Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2009

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve.

It is good to read that you received an upgrade so that you were able to enjoy our more exclusive room category for your honeymoon and we are delighted to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a very good impression of the hotel.
We look very much forward to welcoming you again in the very near future.

With finest regards,