“mainly wonderful hotel but just slightly lacking occasionally from what you expect at this level.”

The Palace at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai
Ranked #7 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We spent 11 days in November here as a couple with a 6 month old baby. Overall it was a wonderful experience and well suited to our needs with a young baby.
Most of the service and facilities are excellent but it just seemed to be slightly lacking that extra level of polish I would expect from a one and only.
I previously stayed at the O & O in Mexico and it definitely had an edge. There's nothing wrong with the Royal Mirage but it did feel a little generic.
Overall the building is beautiful and more tastefully done being low rise than most in Dubai. Personally I slightly preferred the decor in the Arabian Court but The Palace seemed to have more going on.
Our room was very nice, comfortable bed, good shower, spotlessly clean but still quite generic and not really anything special. However I would highly recommend our rooms location on the ground floor by the pool if you have a baby. We were in 226 and could walk out to the pool from our terrace. Our baby monitor even worked from the sun lounger to our room for her sleeps.
The pool is beautiful, big and well shaded with palms. There is reasonable pool service. The people are lovely but just not enough of them so it's not always as easy as you'd like to get a drink.
In the end they were very helpful with the baby sending someone to our room to collect our bottles for washing each morning and returning them within half an hour. They also provided a steriliser and made puréed vegetables and fruit three times a day through room service free of charge for her meals as she had just started weaning.
This was all fantastic however it did take a while to get organised at the start and there were several instances of them forgetting requests or not knowing what they could and couldn't do. For example we were told in advance of our stay that they would be able to provide a baby car seat for our use however when we arrived they could not find one which meant we could not leave the hotel for a couple of days.
The babysitting service is very good in that its remarkably reasonable for this level of hotel. 6 pounds an hour before 11pm, double after. We used this every night while we had dinner and it largely went well. However do bear in mind they are mainly young girls and obviously not that experienced. On our second night we came home at 11 to find the babysitter playing with our baby in the room with the lights on. Apparently she had kept turning the light on to check on her every hour (not at our request!) and not surprisingly had woken her and she then thought she should get her up and had been playing with her for an hour! All well intentioned but really not ideal! Make sure you give very specific instructions!
The restaurants were all very good generally except we weren't too enthralled by the olives buffet. Breakfast was fine but not really exciting and we only ate here once for dinner. Great choice but not a great setting.
The half board special offer was well worth having. You got 360 dhm each towards dining in any other restaurant and we used this mainly. Celebrities was excellent as was the beach bar and grill. We liked the setting of eauzone in the Arabian court but the food wasn't quite as good as we'd hoped.
The Indian nina was very good also although quit quiet and lacking in atmosphere when we went. We also took the free boat to the 101 loung at the O & O the palm. You get 25% off here with half board which was a nice change.
One of the best things at the palace is the jetty lounge bar which is a really nice beach bar with a bit of an Ibiza vibe. A great place to watch sunset!
Drinks overall were pricey but not actually as bad as I'd feared. Cocktails were around 8 or 9 pounds which was very reasonable but beer is 7 pounds plus and wine was the biggest challenge with nothing really under 40 pounds a bottle.
Overll we had a wonderful holiday. It suited the baby, most of the staff were very helpful and we loved the relaxing feel and the excellent food. However it seemed maybe a lack of staff might have been the issue for service dropping from time to time. I'm not a very fussy traveller but I do think with this brand and the price you are paying you expect the best and it just wasn't quite there consistently.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Gooldie
OORoyalMirage, Manager at The Palace at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing the experience related to your recent stay with us at One&Only Royal Mirage.

We sincerely appreciate your time to comment in detail.

We sincerely apologize if we have come short of meeting some of your expectations and rest assured that each comment is reviewed with members of the concerned teams and adjusted where ever possible.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you back to demonstrate our ability to deliver service and facilities to your expectations and to amend your latest views.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Got off to a luke-warm start given we were waiting at reception to be checked in at for about 20 mins. However my mood lightened considerably once I learnt we'd been upgraded (for free) to a beautiful suite. So spacious and very luxurious with plenty of toiletries & morning paper. Complimentary fruit juice and basket - replenished during our 1 week stay. Yum.

We went half-board which in hindsight was a good option. Breakfast at Olives was very tasty but beware of the crazy birds on the terrace who are constantly on the look out for stray morsels of food. TIP: if you're a couple, ensure 1 person stays at the table while the other is choosing breakfast inside - this way you ensure the birds won't swoop down and land on your table...

RESTAURANTS:
Nina's was my favourite restaurant - Indian Fusion, amazing experience/decor .It's located in the sister hotel 'Arabian' next door. The HB menu was excellent. 'Celebrities' was also very good and 'Eau Zone' was extremely romantic & flashy. TIP: Book all restaurants in advance.

POOL / BEACH
Outdoor pool was a perfect temperature and it's pretty long (30m+) so great to get those laps in before an indulgent breakfast at Olives. Beach is also spotless & water was topped up regularly.

We walked through the Arabian hotel (next door) and it did seem more luxurious but the Palace strikes me as more 'old world'. Really loved the experience.

WIFI
Wifi is disappointingly expensive however - we paid around 50GBP for 1 week and ironically the signal was strongest at the beach & patchy elsewhere in hotel. Aware that some 5 stars include wifi in their rates but when paying extra I would expect the signal to be more reliable.

Overall though fantastic hotel, excellent staff, top notch food and good facilities.

2  Thank Bead007

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Wow, what an experience !!! Stayed for 8 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. Staff are fabulous and very attentive. Ate in Nina's, Beach Bar and Olives, all nice but Nina's outstanding. We were lucky enough to be there with a famous football team, who made my hubby's holiday. Yes, expensive but real luxury, would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Berkley2013

Dear Berkley

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience, and indeed delighted to read that you enjoyed our facilities and services provided by our team of dedicated members.

We value such feedback which is shared with all and look forward to your return in not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed here from the 3rd Feb for a week for our honeymoon. With it being our honeymoon we wanted to push the boat out and go for something a bit special. The Palace met almost every expectation.
Now, before I start, you should be aware that we are not,
1. Wealthy.
2. A famous sportsperson
3. In our golden (handshake) years.

As far as money is concerned we are very much Jonny average and this review is aimed at others in our bracket.

The hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are large and very clean, the staff are fantastic and very tentative and the food is very very good, with one exception that i will come on to.

Our arrival at the hotel was greeted with a bong similar to the start of a 60's Hollywood film and we were quickly ushered to a seat before a staff member arrived and explained what was what. This also included explaining that we had two free passes to the atlantis water park with a free shuttle to the park……..nice touch!

Everything is top drawer at this hotel. The pool is heated and very clean, the private beach is great (watch out for jellyfish) and the gardens are immaculate.

Now for the negatives.

We knew what we were getting into so it wasn't too much of a surprise to us, but if you are like us, beware, it is Dubai and as a result of culture/religion, alcohol is very expensive. £10 for bottle of beer at the pool bar and restaurants.
Half board means that you get 165 AED allowance for your meal, around £27. This might cover a main course but certainly not any drinks, any starter or pudding. Beware the water, you will be asked if you want a bottle of water with your meal, it was only on night two that I realised I was being charged almost £15 for the water. Whatever is over your allowance you have to make up at the end the of your stay.
Its around £50 for a bottle of wine……again, not great for us.

Despite this, the food is very good and the real value is at Olives where the buffet style food is of a very high standard. I would steer clear of Tangines though, I found it overpriced (even for Dubai) and didn't really rate the food.

Overall, this is a great hotel, great location, great everything and I would love to go back, but only as a wealthier person who didn't have to worry about how much over the 165 AED i was going every evening. Thats just my personal opinion, if you are lucky enough to have the money, then go for it, you won't be disappointed, and, you might even bump into a sporting hero like i did, a certain world champion boxer who was very nice but asked to remain anonymous. I'm not going to betray his trust, but if by any chance he reads this, thanks champ, you made my week!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GD1001

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in January. From the time we arrived until we left all the staff we met were extremely friendly and courteous. The room was spacious and the bed was one of most comfortable that we have slept in. We ate breakfast in the Celebrities restaurant which had a good selection of both hot and cold items. As we were on half board we had dinner in the Olive restaurant which had an excellent buffet selection. My only criticism would be that the food was sometimes only warm rather than hot.
The grounds around this hotel are huge and well maintained, excellent for a walk after dinner. The hotel is directly on Jumeirah beach, which was kept immaculately clean although it was too cold to use when we were there. The hotel pool area was more sheltered and was again well maintained.
All in all a great hotel in a wonderful location, would not hesitate in recommending it.

Dear Colin.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in January. Initial experience was as you would expect from a hotel of this type, but some things let it down badly. I'll start with the good bits;
The room was large & the bed was comfortable. The views from the balcony were good, and quality of sleep was great. The pool and the beach were immaculately maintained. Of the restaurants, we tried 3, Nina, Olives and the one on the water front (Sorry, can't remember the name). The food quality at all 3 was exceptional, but the buffet style in Olives and the wide selection made putting together a coherent meal difficult (I ended up with a plate of nice food, all of which I liked but none of which went together). Breakfast was good, as you would expect.

Now for the negatives;
The room had dust on many of the surfaces. We had to place the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door to stop continual over attentive interruptions. On the first evening, my wife left underwear on the bathroom floor, not realising male staff would enter while we we at dinner for 'night service'. When we returned this had been picked up, folded and placed on the bed - one freaked out wife!
Although it appeared to be clean, the carpet was marked from spills and needed some attention.
Prices generally are very high, with bar drinks at 6 to 8 GBP typically.
When we returned home, I received an email telling me I'd been charged for 4 items from the mini bar, which I hadn't taken. I disputed this charge, and three days later I'm still being ignored.

4  Thank lee05
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Other than Alvaro, Angel, and Aidonis, the staff here is 3rd tier. I cannot understand why anyone would stay at this hotel - for the life of me. This is an older property that seems to have all the attributes of a top notch resort. Yet, it has nothing. There is nothing distinguishable. The food is subpar; so is the service, and the weird spa that seems to cater to both sexes in a coed environment. Go figure in a Muslim country. The prices are a bit less than Al Qasr, but the product is radically different. As an experienced traveler, I can only assume that the guests are loyal to the brand and don't know any better. There is no possible way that anyone could find this property appealing when there is so much competing product that is tangibly better when it comes to service and hardware.
The highlight of my stay, other than being double billed for an extra night, was when "max" the night front desk manager told me that there were no rooms left, and would need to bugger off at noon. It never crossed his mind to gratuitously offer to help me find another hotel or to try to up-sell me on a large suite at the sister property. Who knows, I could have been the person that would have scaled up, and turned from being offended to being offended to being thankful.

Alvarado did help, and told me that somehow the hotel found a room, and is letting me stay in the same room. He also offered to persuade the hotel I had booked not to charge me. I appreciate his efforts, but my stay was ruined because oc the horrible attitude of the night manager. Of course, no one informed me that I would be allowed to stay. I am curious why. Needless to say, I will never stay at One and Only, and will share my experience with every person I meet for as long as I live. This could have easily been avoided with basic training and common sense.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends