“Great Hotel/Service, dont worry about construction”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #62 of 565 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 19 November 2013

So there are alot of complaints about the ongoing construction around the hotel area.
Yes, the construction is there but it doesnt really make it a reason not to chose this hotel.
It does cause a bit of traffic (3 way traffic light) directly outside the hotel and as for the noise - this is minimal, ask for a room as high up as possible if you are very sensitive. We were on the 16th floor (out of 24) and didnt really hear anything. I mean if you left your balcony door open then you might hear a bit so guess what? - close it!
There is music coming from the pool side shisha bar on some nights so do be aware of this but again, closing the balcony door does solve it..

The hotel itself is brilliant as are the staff - each and everyone of them were very helpful and friendly. We stayed here for 4 nights in Nov13.
Had breakfast buffet at the hotel on one morning, 95 AED per person, its not bad, worth a try once.
There is a 24hr cafe in the lobby, food is average. I wouldnt go there unless you were desperate. Girders bar is ok - majority of guests seem to be british expats. Didnt try any of the other restaurants. Plenty of inexpensive restaurant options on The Walk which is just mins from the hotel so no need to eat in hotel really.
Gym is very big and well equiped. Used their salon which was only ok, nice enough staff and it was cheap. (30% off for hotel guests).but nothing special otherwise.
Pool/deck side is in the shade for most of the day so if thats a problem for you then take note.

Overall very enjoyable stay, would go back in future, esp once everything has been built.
Good value for money. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for room as high up as possible - they all have sea views so dont worry about having to compromi...
4  Thank thedane88
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear thedane88,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the JA Ocean View Hotel.

Please allow me to thank you for your positive comment about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was brilliant and in a good value for money, the service that you received, the food served during breakfast the you enjoyed, the Calm Spa and Salon, as well as the Gym which you found to be well-equipped. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit our very own Caffé Via and Girders bar.

I have noted your feedback about the nearby construction work being carried out, as well as the sunlight at the swimming pool which was beyond our control. I am pleased to inform you that we are listing to our customer feedback, have reacted already and are currently finalizing a 2nd sun deck area on the other side of the hotel` tower, hence by Christmas we should have sun coverage on the pool side of the hotel for 6 hours, while the promenade side has the other 6 hours.

Your comments and kind words with regards to my team whom you felt were very helpful and friendly is highly appreciated. I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on to them.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Write a ReviewReviews (5,372)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here en-route to Australia and on our return leg. On both occasions we were quickly checked-in to our room although we were arriving early in the morning. The friendly efficient staff were a feature of this hotel. It also included a top-notch breakfast buffet with something for every palate. We dined twice and the themed buffets were also excellent. As for anywhere in Dubai, wine is expensive. However we did enjoy a couple of glasses in their top floor wine and tapas bar, which we had to ourselves! the poolside bar can also be recommended. The location is good, and although ongoing buioding works can cause a few holdups in getting about, this was a minor inconvenience. Overall, we had two very enjoyable short stays here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tramoia

Dear tramoia,

It is indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I was delighted to read your positive comments about the service that you received upon your arrival, the hotel’s accessible location, the breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was top-notch, as well as the restaurant buffet theme nights that you enjoyed. Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay. You have kindly mentioned that they were friendly and efficient! I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Please accept my sincere apologies to you if you experienced noise disturbance due to nearby construction work being carried out, which was unfortunately beyond our control; and based on the latest information that we received, it will be completed in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just stayed there last night and was so disappointed. There is a new mall apparently beginning to go up out front, and the construction noise was constant and the traffic was jammed. They are widening the street along the beach so that is a mess. Construction started at 7:30 am, and continued all day. Access to the beach was blocked by construction so either plan to take a shuttle or walk to the beach beyond the Hilton which was not at all close by. One good thing is the view...we were on the 20th floor..and the room itself was well appointed..but for what you pay you should be able to enjoy the beach and the R and R. Others have mentioned the construction in the area, and I wish I had taken their advice more seriously. In addition, there are a number of other tall hotels adjacent to this one, and the pool seemed to consistently be in their shadow. Oh well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank suzlam

Dear suzlam,

Please allow me to thank you for your positive comment about the room which you have kindly mentioned was well-appointed, as well as the view from your accommodation that you enjoyed.

I was however extremely disappointed to read that some areas of your stay in Dubai and outside of the hotel were not to your satisfaction. While I fully understand your frustration about street traffic, construction of a new promenade called “The Beach” near to the hotel and not having a private beach in front of the hotel, I do have to state that is unfortunately beyond our control. I would like to update you that the area where the hotel is located at has been developed significantly based on recent meeting with the development company and through my own observations. I do hope that the completion of the construction will be announced before the upcoming festive season. This development would be for more than 70 new brand shops, an underground cinema, 40 new restaurants and a widely extended PUBLIC beach right within close walking distance of the hotel.

I would also like to inform you that most of our guests utilizes and enjoys the public beach which is located opposite of the hotel and within a healthy 200 meters walk of our own pool, together with the complimentary beach bag, the towels, mats that we provided. As you rightly noticed the close accessibility road is currently closed. We do hold a written communication from the local authorities that the access path will be re-opening after some “greenification” on Sunday 1st December.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ocean View from the 4th to 11th November, we upgraded our room which also gave us access to the Coral lounge on the 24th floor, particular thanks to the girls here ( sorry I don't know all their names only Merry ) nothing was too much trouble even though they were stretched ( they could do with another person) the food was great the service exceptional again special thanks to the chefs who personally prepared our Omelettes every morning, delicious , the room was new , well appointed and spotless, every single member of staff we came into contact with were a delight, friendly , smiling and helpful.
Go to this Hotel , it is superb, we will be back.
Thank You.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul W
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Paul W,

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the services offered by the hotel, the rooms which you felt was well appointed and spotless, the food served during breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was delicious and great, as well as the opportunity to access our Coral Lounge. It was also nice to know that you were satisfied with the service that you received from my team who looked after you during your stay, some of whom you have acknowledged by name. You have kindly mentioned that they were delightful, friendly, helpful and smiling! I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed at the Ocean View from 30th October - 4th November 2013 - and a wonderful time we had! We upgraded to the 23rd floor, which enabled us to have a spectacular view of the sea and the Palm in the background.

We arrived around 8.00am after spending all night travelling and due to us upgrading, we were able to get into our room straight away. Room was modern, bright just as it is in the pictures! Turn down service at night was a nice touch, as was bottled water each day, the elemis toiletries, robe and slippers and the duck in the bath!

Our upgrade included happy hour 6-8pm with a light snack (cheese, bread etc) which we used every evening we were there. We also took advantage of the afternoon tea one day. All were very welcome!

We only ate breakfast in the hotel during our stay as we wanted to explore a little, but the choice was vast. All beautifully presented.

Hotel seemed to be busy, especially in the evenings with both residents and non- residents.

Service was second to none - from the guys getting you taxis outside the reception, the staff on the desk, waiters, pool attendants and cleaners all went out of their way to say hello.

We stayed there for my 40th and some staff were aware of this and wished me a happy birthday, during our stay. On the second day I went back to the room to find a birthday cake, complete with a candle and matches - nice touch, thank you!

Outside - YES there is construction going on, but it didn't spoil our stay one bit. We were aware of this before we went, people have mentioned it on trip advisor, but it is Dubai! There is construction everywhere. There is a 2 minute walk to the beach past the site but again, this didnt bother us, it was all boarded up. We were told that it should be completed in a year or so. There are building low level shopping / restaurant plaza buildings so will only enhance the hotel even more once its completed.

The hotel provided us with beach towels, a mat and an umbrella for the beach which was great! Public beach was clean and sea was perfect! There is also construction going on heading out into the sea - they are building some sort of stone jetty. We spent the say at the sister hotel, got a taxi there as we wanted to get there earlier than the first shuttle bus left - cost around £12. worth it! Beautiful place - although drinks were expensive - well they were everywhere in Dubai!

The deck, where the pool Is located only gets the sun for a short while, this may well be longer in the summer months - this was a shame, but we were happy to go down to the beach and come back for a dip later in the day.

Great location - at the end of the Walk. We ate out 3 nights along the Walk. Lots of choice an variety and cheaper than eating in the hotels. You can sit outside in most of the eateries and watch the world (and expensive) cars go by.

We pre-booked trips to the Waterpark at the Atlantis (became big kids for the day) and for the Burje - strongly advisable especially if you want to go up during sunset hours.

Taxis very cheap - although go for coloured roofs rather than more executive looking cars.

My only gripe was that the shower on most days was only luke warm......

All in all a fabulous 40th birthday break and would definitely return - hoping to next year!!!

Thank you!

1  Thank sarah m

Dear sarah m,

First of all, I would like to wish you a belated “Happy Birthday!” I was delighted to know that you had celebrated this special occasion with us, and overall had a wonderful and enjoyable stay.

I was happy to read your positive comments about the hotel and its facilities, the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were modern and bright, the amenities available in the room with a nice touch of bottle of water and the Elemis products which you enjoyed, the hotel’s accessible location which you found to be great, the views of the Palm from your accommodation which you felt was spectacular, the service that you received, the breakfast which you have kindly mentioned has a lot of variety and well-presented, as well as the beach amenities that you enjoyed. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit our sister property and some of the tourist attractions in Dubai that you enjoyed.

I was disappointed to know that the hot water in your accommodation was unfortunately not to your satisfaction. As it is our aim to always provide the highest level of service to all our guests, your feedback has been passed on to our Chief Engineer, and I can assure you that we are investigating this matter to prevent this from reoccurring in the future.

It was also nice to know that you were satisfied with the service that you received from my team whom you felt were the best and welcoming. I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 5 am after an 11 hr flight from Tokyo, expecting to have to leave our cases & amuse ourselves until the 2pm check in time, so were really pleased when they offered us the use of a courtesy room, to shower & get some rest, and by 9.30 am we had a call to say our room on the 18th floor was ready . The sea view rooms are huge with a massive, comfy bed, sofa , good size balcony with chairs & table, and a well equipped bathroom.We stayed 4 nights half board and all the staff at the hotel are really friendly & helpful, whilst we were there, my wife who had a cough in Japan, developed a chest infection which was serious enough for us to call a doctor in to see her, as she sometimes didn't feel well enough to eat in the restaurant, they offered to bring up some food to the room for her which I selected from the buffet. The Le Rivage buffet restaurant was fantastic with a huge selection of everything at breakfast, and a different theme for dinner each night, again with a huge selection of delicious dishes available. The service was superb from all the restaurant staff, and they made a special effort to welcome Lesley& ask how she was feeling when she was able to come down for meals.
We took the complimentary shuttle to the Jebel Ali hotel which has beautiful landscaped gardens leading to the beach with super comfy sunbeds, several pools, and bars , so a great day out there. I also took the shuttle bus to the Dubai mall & got the excellent metro service back to the jumeirah lake towers station, from which it's approx 10 mins walk back to the hotel.
There is a huge amount of construction work in progress, with a new mall being built directly in front of the hotel, roadworks behind the hotel, and even a new island being created just offshore! This goes on 24 hrs & is noisy, the balcony doors are excellent & keep most of the bangs & crashes out, but if your planning on using the pool or beach, you will have to put up with this, however I feel it's a small price to pay for staying at this lovely hotel.So well done to all the staff at ocean view, keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a higher floor room, better views & possibly less construction noise.

Dear Blostin,

It is indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I was delighted to read your positive comments about the service that you received upon your arrival and in our restaurants, the rooms which found to be huge with a massive comfortable bed, the sofa, the balcony, the sea views from you accommodation that you enjoyed, the bathroom which you have kindly mentioned was well-equipped, the complimentary shuttle bus service, the food and selection during breakfast which you felt was delicious and fantastic, as well as the restaurant buffet theme nights that you enjoyed. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit our very own Le Rivage and our sister property which you enjoyed the beach, the green landscapes around the resort, the bars, the swimming pools, as well as the sunbeds.

I was also happy to know that my team managed to provide you with a room upon your arrival. I do appreciate you for your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay. You have kindly mentioned that they were superb in providing customer service, friendly, helpful and welcoming! I will ensure that your compliments are passed on to them.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel opened December 2012, so it's modern, sparkling clean, and the lobby and reception area is very impressive. When checking in, we were offered a gorgeous, refreshing fruit drink, with local dates. This was kindly extended to my relatives who were waiting with us in the lobby. The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble. I can honestly say that the staff were the best I have come across in any hotel. All services came with a smile.
We did not eat in the hotel at all, so I cannot comment on the restaurants etc.
The downside? Well, construction work is everywhere, so a top floor room is essential. We had a superior room on the 17 th floor, so well above the height of the cranes. However, be warned, construction work is ongoing, 24 hours a day. The noise did not bother us though. There is a dedicated walkway to the beach. There are no services available on the beach, no bathrooms, or bars / restaurants. The hotel provided a beach bag, with a beach mat and towels. For a 4 / 5* hotel, I would have expected sunloungers on the beach. However, the hotel provides a shuttle bus service out to the sister hotel, the Jebel Ali, where there is a much nicer beach, with few large swimming pools. However, the shuttle bus left the Oceanview at 11 am, I thought an earlier departure would have been preferable. The huge downside for us though, was the Oceanview swimming pool, it was in shade all day, every day! This might not be important to some people, but it was to my daughter and myself, which is why we went to Jebel Ali for 2 days of relaxing by the pool.
On my return, I contacted the hotel regarding this problem and the manager advised me that they are currently constructing a sun deck, to overcome this problem. However, the sundeck is not beside the pool, I believe. The manager emailed a very detailed response and was happy to address my concerns.
Would I return? Hmmm, maybe, if I could see photos of the sun-deck, if the beach was up- graded with sunloungers and a few basic facilities. The traffic in this area is very busy, and on 2 occasions taxi drivers refused to take us to the hotel.

Room Tip: Superior room on the 17th floor was good, a large room, sofa, huge tv ( never had it on!). High eno...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alisrico1
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Alisrico1,

I do appreciate your kind words about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned were modern and sparkling clean, the reception area that you consider to be very impressive, the room and sofa which you found to be large, the huge television, as well as the service that was provided by my team whom you felt were amazing, smiling and the best! I will definitely ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

I would also like to inform you that most of our guests utilizes and enjoys the public beach which is located opposite of the hotel and within a healthy 200 meters walk of our own pool, together with the complimentary beach bag, the towels, mats that we provided. Our guests are also encouraged to visit our sister property if they wish to be in a private beach facility, wherein they can reach by the complimentary shuttle service that we provide several times every day. This exclusive and private beach facility is not accessible to any other hotel or their guests located on the Dubai JBR Walk.

We are currently also finalizing an 2nd sun area on the other side of the hotel tower, hence by Christmas we should have sun coverage on one side of the hotel for 6 hours, while the other side has the other 6 hours.