“Very good hotel in great location”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #58 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel in great location”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

As soon as we arrived the reception staff upgraded us to a suite, with double balconies overlooking the sea and The Palm, so it would be difficult to be critical! The suite was fabulous, the staff always very friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself spotlessly clean and modern. There were a choice of breakfasts (all good), and several bars to choose from, and in all the staff couldn't do enough for us. There is building work going on in the front of the hotel, which they can do nothing about, but any inconvenience/noise is absolutely minimised, and to be truthful we didn't really notice it was going on. The restaurants in the hotel are good, as are the ones close by on JBR walk, which will be an even bigger plus when the whole thing is finished. One blemish is the Scottish sports bar, Girders, attached to the hotel, which was like entering Brits on a drinking weekend in Benidorm - to be missed! Apart from that, lovely hotel, in a great location, with first class staff and facilities

Room Tip: Go for club rooms which are higher up, provide better views, and are further away from the street no...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Mitch101,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at JA Ocean View Hotel.

It was great to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us! I would like to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to the hotel’s accessible location, the accommodation as well as the breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was good.

I did had a wee smile on your comments of Brits drinking in Benidorm, if this is a city in the UK, I will certainly visit when coming to Europe the next time. Your many Dubai based countryman and woman do frequent the Girders and Girders Garden on floor 1 + behind the hotel greatly, but we do have a classy Resident Bar “The Whistler” on the 25th floor, serving wine and tapas with an excellent and tranquil view over sea, palm and coastline. Please do let me know when in Dubai again, I will be delighted to take you there personally.

I do also appreciate your positive comments about my team who looked after you during your stay with us, whom you felt were very helpful and friendly. I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

we have just returned from 6 day break to Dubai and stayed at JA ocean view, from being greeted at 3am when we arrived we had exceptional service. The lovely Club room was ready and had all the facilities you would expect from such a hotel, on 25th floor with views of the Palm and ocean, elemis toiletries, mini bar, 50 inch TV. We had the luxury of using executive lounge for breakfast, high tea and complimentary drinks between 6-8pm every day plus we had clothes pressed free every day. The pool was dis-appointing as not in the sun however we used free shuttle bus to sister hotel Jebel Ali golf resort and spa and the private beach there was fantastic. What made the difference was the friendly staff, I can only say from working in customer service industry myself I was really impressed especially by Merry on concierge, her knowledge, friendliness and personal service was second to none, i can only say to general manager, otto, that you give this lady an award for outstanding customer service.
All in all we had great time and will be booking for next winter, hopefully the building works will be finished by then however they didnt spoil our unforgettable time in Dubai.

Room Tip: Choose a club room as great value
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alison K,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the JA Ocean View Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities available in the hotel, the spaciousness of your accommodation, the views, the bathroom amenities available in your room, the accessibility of the hotel’s location, as well as my team whom you felt were knowledgeable and friendly.

I have noted your comments about the sunshine at the pool and I would like to inform you that we do have our new Sundeck on the Promenade level, with a direct access to the pool deck on the other side of the building. This will give you sun in the early hours of the day, we do hope this major improvement did not go unnoticed.

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding my team, some of whom you have personally acknowledged by name as Merry, one of our many shining stars. I will ensure that your compliments are shared with her and the rest of the team. Recognition for a job well done is important for us, as it ensures the constant motivation of all team members.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in February and had a very enjoyable stay. We requested interconnecting rooms on a higher floor and were given a room on the 19th floor. Rooms were very spacious and clean and we had a great view overlooking the sea and palm island (although this was partially ruined by all the construction work, but nice nonetheless). Concierge/Experience staff were very friendly helpful, but check-in staff and room service could have been a bit better. The hotel has a lovely pool area on the third floor but didn't use this so cannot comment on whether it was in the shade most of the day. The hotel is situated right on the end of JBR where there are numerous restaurants, and it's nice to have a stroll every evening when it gets quite busy. The hotel is a 5min walk to the public beach. Hotel offers complimentary shuttles to malls and their sister hotel Jebel Ali Beach Hotel which has a lovely beach and is a must see. Taxis are very cheap so we didn't use the metro, which was 10 mins away from the hotel. We could hear construction work going on at times even when the balcony door was closed. This didn't affect us but may do if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to get a better view and escape the construction noise (request well in advanc...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear sdxx_9,

It is indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I was delighted to read your positive comments about the hotel’s accessible location, the rooms which you found to be spacious, and the complimentary shuttle bus service as well as for the great view that you had from your accommodation.

I do appreciate you for your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay. You have kindly mentioned that they were always friendly and helpful. I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

I would like to personally apologise for any inconvenience you may have had experienced due to the nearby construction noise, which was unfortunately beyond our control, but should be completed within the coming weeks. No new buildings are being built, I can only see the streets between the pedestrian shopping / dining / entertainment low rise complex being finalized.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

When my wife and I were planning our short break to Dubai we quickly realised the vast majority of Hotels there are all super amazing 5 star properties and therefore have 5 star price tags. Yikes! Luckily we then found this hotel. I believe it's the only 4 star on the beach front in the whole of the Marina, if not the whole of Dubai. Don't get me wrong, it was still very expensive to stay here for just 4 nights, but it was well worth it and considerably cheaper than most of the others on the beach front. I've only ever stayed in one five star hotel before and The Jebel Ali Ocean View beats it hands down.

If you don't have time for the long version of my review, then here's my short version. Stay here. It's great.

Long version...

Before I go on to tell you how amazing the place is, I should mention the building work that keeps cropping up in some of the other reviews. I almost put us of booking here ourselves. In reality it really didn't bother us at all, but if you think it could be a problem here's what's happening. They're building low rise shops between the hotel and the beach as part of the Marina development programme and a tram line between the back of the hotel and the road. This means that between 8am and 5pm there is construction noise. Good luck avoiding that anywhere else in Dubai, they're building something on every street corner. We were on the 9th floor of 25 and heard very little. If you think it will bother you, just stay higher up the building.

Now for the good stuff...

The Staff are the best I have ever experienced at a hotel. So friendly and helpful. The room was only a standard room but was massive by European standards. I was a bit concerned when we checked in to be told every room is a smoking room (Dubai seems very relaxed about smoking?), but we realised that every room has a balcony and you can not smoke in the rooms which is good news for two non smokers.
The décor was fresh and bright and the bathroom (which I'm usually fussy about) was spotless. Like most buildings in the Dubai marina the hotel is brand new, according to our Taxi driver, less than 18 months old. You can tell by how fresh and clean everything is! There was even a guy outside the front door dusting down a perfectly clean lamp post!? These guys don't cut corners!

If you usually eat breakfast I would highly recommend including this with your stay. I couldn't fault it. It was the usual buffet style but far from the usual 'full English or continental' selection. The choice was vast and good quality. The honey for the cereal was dripping from an actual honeycomb for goodness sake! Yes ok I admit I get excited about stupid stuff. The staff are quick to top up items running low too. Good news when the guy in front takes all five remaining chocolate muffins, eats the corner of one then walks out.

As for the location, it's perfect for the beach and they're working hard to develop the marina, however most of the big attractions such as the Burj Khalifa in Down town, or the Gold Souks in Old Town, are a Taxi or Metro ride away. Don't let this put you off. I took more taxis in the 4 days I was there than I did in the whole of last year! But they're much cheaper than in the UK and You can get one in seconds from almost anywhere. They're all on a meter and start at AED 3. We took one from the Hard Rock café in Festival City (which is the far side of old town) back to our Hotel which was a 30 minute 35km trip, and It cost AED 80 (£13). Burj Khalifa I think cost AED 60. More expensive than the metro but the quickest way to get around.

The Gym is well equipped and the Spa looked good although we didn't have time to use it. It's true the infinity pool is in shadow until late morning but there is 100,000 square miles of Persian gulf to paddle in 60 seconds walk from the hotel if you can't wait. Plus we took advantage of the free transfer to use the complimentary resort at their sister hotel, half an hour down the road at the base of the Palm Jebel Ali. We could have stayed a full day it was so nice. Perfect for anyone wanting a bit of R+R adding to their city break.

We didn't use any of the 3 different restaurants in the hotel, but they all looked good. It's true anyone can eat there, not just guests, but people commenting on this forget to mention the other 50+ restaurants on the walk. Finding somewhere local for a quality meal is never going to be an issue.

Overall, We had a fantastic stay. I just wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Stay as high up as possible (25 floors in total) to reduce mild construction noise.
1 Thank Martin H
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Martin H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the JA Ocean View Hotel.

I was extremely pleased to know that you have highly rated the hotel and that we managed to meet your expectations during your stay with us. Your positive comments with regards to the hotels location, the accommodation, the gym and the spa, the overall products and services as well as the food and beverages that are served at our restaurants which you have kindly mentioned were of good quality.

Your kind compliments with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay with us are highly appreciated and it was good to hear that they were very friendly and helpful.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to JA Ocean View Hotel in the future.

London, UK
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at The Ocean View to scout hotels for a large group and you won't get a better location in Dubai for the price. This hotel is incredible value for money. Located on JBR Walk, this property will benefit massively from the opening of The Beach mall complex across the street which is brilliant for direct beach access, dining, and entertainment. Especially if you have young children. The property is one of the newer hotels on JBR Walk and each room is actually sea view. Upgrading to a superior or club room is recommended as the standard rooms will need updating soon. I suspect there is such a high turnover at this hotel due to its value that the rooms are constantly being cleaned, thus wearing them down.
Pros:
Modern, clean, all rooms with a sea view.
Lovely furnishings,
Elemis products,
Staff is delightful.
Girders is a really fun pub/bar for the area and is frequented by locals. Gets very smoky inside.
Amazing value for money. Best on JBR Walk

Cons:
Construction is still happening. Woken up by saws at 7am. Will hopefully be complete in a few months time.

Horrendous musty smell on Floor 9. Unbearable actually. I was told the carpets were just shampooed. Was too much of a chemical smell.
Food is marginal. Room service breakfast was not good. But with so many options on JBR Walk to eat, this isn't an issue.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Ravegirl9,

It is indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I was delighted to read your very positive comments about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was excellent and a good value for money, I was also very pleased to read your positive comments about the cleanliness, the furnishings, the products and services that you have enjoyed whilst staying with us.

I have noted your comments about the musty smell on the 9th floor corridor, and I would like to sincerely apologies any inconvenience or discomfort caused. I would also like to inform you that I have shared your valuable feedback with our Executive Housekeeper and we will ensure that we will revise our chemical dilution and stronger use of mechanical air changers when doing carpet shampooing in order to avoid similar recurrences in the future.

Your comments in relation to updating the standard rooms are highly appreciated and rest assured your comments are been discussed with the management team for further review.
I would like to personally apologise for any inconvenience you may have had experienced due to the nearby construction noise, which was unfortunately beyond our control, but looking at progress I would rather say weeks than months for completion are needed.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Everything was great, clean and the service top class. When balcony door was closed the construction did not bother and soon it will be ready anyhow. Amazing breakfast! We took an upgrade offer received at check in, that made our stay a little pricey but worth it.

Stayed March 2014
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Fam Tig,

Please allow me to personally thank you for your positive comments about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned were great. It was also nice to read your feedback about the hotel’s cleanliness, the service as well as the breakfast which was amazing.

Crowthorne, UK
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in February 2014. It's an excellent 4 star hotel in a great location, it will be even better when JBR Walk is finished. The rooms are spacious, bed was very comfortable and they serve an excellent buffet breakfast. The thing that really makes the difference is the attitude of the staff, they are incredibly friendly, efficient and always smiling. Here's an example, we had a small electrical issue in our room. I mentioned this to the front desk at 10:30pm, by the time we had walked from their to our room the electrician was waiting for us. He resolved the issue within minutes, explained what he'd done and told us to call again if the issue returned. The only small negative is that the pool is in shade for the majority of the day. that's probably a blessing in the summer though.

Dear Hemmo9,

I was extremely pleased to read your review and I would like to thank you for your kind words in relation to the hotel, its facilities, the buffet breakfast as well as to the exceptional service that you received from my team whom you felt were incredibly friendly, efficient and always smiling. I will definitely ensure that your compliments are shared with my team.

I have noted your comments with regards to the shade on the pool area, and I would like to inform you that we have our new Sundeck on the Promenade level, with a direct access to the pool deck on the other side of the building? Now we do have sun in the early hours of the day and we do hope this major improvement did not go unnoticed.