“Beautiful property; but beware the hidden charges”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #16 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 15 August 2013

OK, this is by far one of the most stunning Marriotts I have ever seen; and yes I have stayed in other Marquis properties. That said, this Marriott does not honor any reward status. Internet is charged by the hour and you must prepay. Breakfast averages $50USD each day. I opened the mini bar refrigerator of my room to place a bottle of water in it to chill, and within minutes the staff was knocking on my door to check my usage - turns out there is a silent on the frig and if touched immediately dispatches staff to your room to charge you! The food is good but way too expensive and all very over-the top. If you are just looking for a standard meal you will not find it in any of the hotels restaurants. Go to the nearby mall where a decent meal will cost 8-10USD rather than $40. One final caution: The hotel is approx. 70 stories, use caution when requesting a room on a high floor.

Room Tip: Personally, stay somewhere else. The rooms are nice, but I did not enjoy my stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grammy L
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Thank you for your objective review. We apologize for not introducing you properly to your room features and giving you a familiarization with our dining options. The hotel has a wide collection of outlets that cater to a variety of budgets and tastes. We thank you for your loyalty to the brand and invite you to continue to stay with Marriott so that on a future visit you as a Gold or a Platinum member will be able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade to an executive room. Alternatively, we suggest you to book an executive room on your next visit, where WiFi and breakfast in the executive lounge are complimentary amongst many other attractive benefits such as happy hour and tea time. We thank you once again for your candid feedback and we look forward to welcome you again soon.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai

Reviewed 14 August 2013

With Ramadan time and kids at home, we thought of taking a weekend break at Marriott Marquis. I booked online a few days in advance with some special requests. I called a day in before our arrival to check on my requests. And below is the answer I got from reservations -
1. Early check in - Our check in time is 3 pm, but if you come at 12 we cannot assure you right now of the availability. You would have to check that time only. This was really surprising considering that summer and Ramadan is a low season for hotels in Dubai and I was calling only a day in advance to confirm.
2. A room on higher floor - We are really sorry we cannot confirm this at the moment.
3. Booking for Iftar - We are really sorry mam, we are completely booked for Iftar.

And then the lady asked me politely if she could help me with anything else. I was like... "You have already helped me so much."

Anyways, the time came and we checked in, Check in was smooth.

Hotel has many restaurants, but very few options for vegetarians and teetotalers like us. We chose 2 options, only to be told that both are completely booked. I mean, isn't that strange?

Then we chose Rang Mahal. While we booked, we were told that kids are not allowed, but they would manage something for us. When we reached the restaurant, we were again told that kids were not allowed. I was like... We know, but were were told that something can be done. The person who booked us did not bother to mention anything in the booking. And then we finally realised that they really did not have to do anything. There were family rooms and we comfortably took one such room. I failed to understand the need for that snooty behavior.

I called "At your service" to check the breakfast time and the lady had to put me on hold to check with someone. Who on earth would not know breakfast time in their hotel?

And then anything took multiple reminders to come.

Bed - There was something seriously funny about the bed. I am a person who sleeps without pillows. The bed sloped backwards... and I felt my head kept falling back. I could hardly get sleep at night.

Overall it looks like being run by untrained employees.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ArtiGupta
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We regret to hear that our associates were not able to assist you and provide you with the desired information. During Ramadan our hotel was still quite busy and our Iftar options were fully booked on most days and a reservation in advance was really required. The situations you have described certainly do not reflect the level of services our associates are trained to provide and we apologize that your weekend getaway was not as seamless as you anticipated. To further discuss the details of your experience, we invite you to contact us on mhrs.dxbjw.grm2@marriott.com.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel is just amazing, its brand new. The staff are wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and go above and beyond what is expected of them. The room are of very decent size, there about 5 restaurants and 2 clubs in the hotel. A small french bistro is also located in the lobby and open 24 hrs. It's located on sheik zayed rd so it's just a quick 5 min drive to the dubai mall. Excellent Excellent property.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor facing sheik zayed road. The view is astonishing
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your great review. We are glad that you enjoyed our culinary and you were able to adventure through some of our signature restaurants during your stay. La Farine our French bistro is certainly one of the favorites amongst our guests and very popular with the local community as it is open 24 hours a day. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Dubai.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel was not up to the expected standards of a JW Marriott. I found the hotel to be beautiful but the location was terrible and the service was lacking. The location was terrible. It is in the middle of a construction zone and there is literally nothing around the hotel, If you never plan on leaving the hotel this might be OK, but if you want to get out and about in Dubai, expect to drive everywhere. It is also difficult to find somehting to eat. Eating within the Hotel is almost mandatory as there is nothing within walking distance. So expect to cab for every meal.

The staff was also very unknowledgeable. I asked for resturant recommendations, to be sent to one of the hotel resturants by the consierge. I arrived at the resturant recommend only to find that it was closed. I was suprised to find out the Consierge was not aware of the dinner times of its resturants. The resturant sent me to another, only to find that resutrant closed as well. I ended up eating in the 24 hr cafe close to the lobby.

The staff sent me on excersions around Dubai to closed exibits and the wrong bazaar. I asked to be takein to the spice bazaar only to be dropped in the wrong part of the city by the cab driver provided by the hotel. The next day, I was taken back to the correct bazaar only to discover that it was closed for the holiday. The experience cost 2 round trip cab fares and several hours of my short stay in Dubai. The staff should have known better.

The disaster of the trip was the wakeup call that never came causing me to miss my flight. Again 2 cab fares to the airport and back after I missed my flight. The only flight that day to my destination. The only compensation was the manager did agree to allow me to stay the night until I could leave Dubai the next day.

More negatives. The Internet is expensive. had to hunt for towels, the power went out to half of the room and maintenence had to come to fix it. Staff was really unknowledgeable. Sending me to closed venues and closed resturants regularly. I was torn between a 1 or 2 rating and only gave the two because of the actions of the manager after I missed my flight.

Positives: Shuttle to malls are regular and useful. The food at the resturants I found open was really fantasticly prepared, and I enjoyed every meal I had.

Bottom line: it was very luxury... but there are other hotels that are almost as nice, surrounded by restuturants and very nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank dbecker1786
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. We regret to hear that your experience in our hotel was below your expectations. We are concerned to read your comments regarding the poor service you have experienced with our concierge department and the inconsistent product knowledge of our team. This is certainly not the level of service we strive to provide to our guests. We have taken corrective actions with the concerned departments involved to avoid a repetition. I would really like to speak to you personally once again about your feedback and invite you to contact me on mhrs.dxbjw.grm2@marriott.com

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Dear JW Marriott Marquis Management and Readers, I just completed a 5 night stay at this new hotel in Dubai. I will discuss the pros and cons. I am a frequent business traveler to Dubai and had gotten bored with the other hotels I have stayed in recently, mostly because some of them are getting tired in terms of the interiors, and because some of them are stingy with upgrades even though I am an extremely frequent guest. So even though this hotel was not in a convenient location I decided to give it a shot, taxis being reasonably priced in Dubai. I was not disappointed.

Dubai has a lot of stong competition in the hotel market, so it depends what you want but here's what I thought. The good: The rooms are outstanding in this hotel, modern, with an extremely comfortable bed and pillows and a spacious bathroom with an outstanding shower and amenities (aromatherapy products). I did not have a special room -- just a standard one I think, and I have nothing bad to say about it. I recommend it without hesitation. It included some complimentary water and welcome chocolates/dates. Room gadgets worked well.

The food quality in the hotel is very good and the decor in the french restaurant downstairs -- La Farine, I think -- was impressive. Their Steak frites was outstanding. There is an impressive breafast buffet on the 6th floor, and the steakhouse on 68 was excellent as well but pricey -- seemed like more of a special occasion place. A very good steak. I walked through the bar/lounge near the top and it looked like a good spot, stylish with nice views. I think a nice bar is a plus in a business hotel and this one certainly did not disappoint.

I thought the weight / fitness room was very large and excellent and attended by a personal trainer who was knowledgable and friendly. I saw that other travelers on tripadvisor had experienced issues with delays inthe elevators but that was not the case when I was there. Actually I thought they were quick and it was easy to get around this relatively large hotel.

The average: The hotel lobby is large and impersonal (not much wow factor upon entrance) without the warm welcome experience for the weary traveler that most of the other luxury hotels in Dubai have, but there is a person serving arabic coffee and dates, so I think it passes muster. I don't believe the spa was open yet when I was there but I didn't get the sense it was going to be an over the top Duabi luxury experience. Probably just a normal nice spa.

The location is average, in my view. This hotel does not have the attraction of the beach or anything to walk to. I think of it as a business hotel. It does offer a shuttle bus to the Dubai Mall, and the shuttle was a newish bus with leather seats and ran timely when I was there.

The part that needs improvement: This is a new hotel, and the staff seem to be inexperienced or still learning. The good news is there are a lot of staff and they are certainly eager. To the management, some basics for future reference: (1) teach your people to put "Mr." or "Ms." in front of someone's name -- always. Even if I say my name is John, in a hotel like yours I expect to be called Mr. John by the waitstaff. (2) Teach your people not to bring the check until the guest has completely finished the meal (and perhaps has asked for the check.) There were other issues where I had the impression they hired a bunch of friendly young people but not yet experienced service professionals.

Overall I had a very good stay primarily because of (1) the exceptional room, bed and shower, (2) the quality of the food and interesting restaurant choices, and (3) the upscale atmosphere in the facilities as a whole, including a quality fitness center. Again there was plenty of well intended service and I do appreciate that, even if there is some additional training needed.

I would stay there again. I would put the facilities, restaurants and room of this hotel up with the best business hotels in Dubai, many of which are in need of renovation. If the location is where you need to be, I am not sure it is going to get much better than this hotel in Dubai.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful and detailed review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed so much of what our hotel has to offer. We are also very happy that you felt comfortable in your room and our team has left you with an overall positive impression of our hotel. We will share your candid feedback about the professionalism of our associates within the team, so they can take your examples as a learning guide and strive to improve on their etiquette. For a future visit please contact the Guest Relations Team prior to your stay, so we can arrange a small hotel tour, show you our Saray Spa, and introduce you to other outlets you might have not visited during your recent stay. We look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Rooms have ocean, beach, or sea views. The 600+ A/C guestrooms at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai include Pod docking stations and laptop and computer compatible safes. All accommodations provide desks, ergonomic chairs, and direct-dial phones with voice mail. Bathrooms offer separate bathtubs and showers with deep soaking bathtubs, handheld showerheads, and rainfall showerheads. Pillow menus are available. Beds have signature bedding, down comforters, and down blankets. 46-inch LCD TVs are equipped with premium satellite channels, free movie channels, and DVD players.Bathrooms also include bathrobes, designer toiletries, and bidets. All units feature minibars, espresso makers, and coffee/tea makers.

Room Tip: For a longer stay they give a complimentary dubai tour
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Your kind comments about our guest rooms and the hotel facilities are greatly appreciated. For more information regarding our in room amenities, we invite you to visit www.curatedbyjw.com. It was a great pleasure to host you and your family in our hotel and we look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Luxury at its best although drinks including soft drinks were very expensive as was breakfast in the hotel.

£6 for a can of diet coke !!! But if you go outside there is a subway which is good and much cheaper

The location is a bit out of the way although the area is being regenerated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

We appreciate your candid feedback and we are pleased to know that we were able to positively impress you with our design and luxurious services. We hope to have an opportunity to host you again on your next trip to the city!