“Expectations not met”

Ranked #18 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Expectations not met”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I booked the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai for business travellers from around the world and expected to receive 5 star treatment when we got there, but I was quite disappointed with the service.

I booked king bed, non-smoking rooms, but upon check in we were given the option of king bed, smoking, or twin bed, non-smoking. They said the hotel was fully booked, but we could upgrade at an additional fee. So I guess the hotel is not full if you are willing to pay. After a expressing my dissatisfaction we got upgraded, but ended up paying the additional fee so we could get “free” breakfast and free access to the executive lounge and business center.

The next morning I phoned to find out where to go for breakfast and was directed to Kitchen 6, their buffet dining area, but upon check out the breakfast was not free because apparently we should have had breakfast in the executive lounge. After yet another discussion, the breakfast amount was deducted.

We received no help with our luggage upon check in or check out, there were a string of additional service charges on the bill I still don’t know what for and dining was also not that great at both Kitchen 6 and Positano, the Italian restaurant, although there at least we had good service.

I will say, however, that the rooms were decent, views are great and the bathroom is luxurious, and concierge arranging airport transport was great.
Unfortunately, all the advanced technology in the room did not make up for my smelly pillow.
I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: High floor, althought they cannot guarantee this at booking and will probably make you pay for it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank IvisAde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,450)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Very nice hotel in a central location of Dubai. It is ideally situated not far from the Burg Dubai and the Dubai mall and is mid way between the downtown Dubai and the jumera palm area. So a very good location for covering all of Dubai.

Friendly staff, beautiful modern rooms and a good selection if restaurants to choose from as well as a sky bar located on the top floor with spectacular views if Dubai. Taxis always available.

Would definitely use again.

Room Tip: Go for the executive level,. The bit more is well worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Maple, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We spent one night at the new JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai, and were both over-whelmed, and impressed by the sheer magnitude and extravagance of this palace in the sky. The condition of this new hotel is as close to perfection as one can expect to find anywhere in the world. The view out of the windows is spectacular. The only concern is that the hotel, located in the business district, is in the middle of a construction zone, which should not be a surprise as the city continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Once the immediate area is "complete" the hotel will benefit from the lack of construction noise and dirt.

The amenities, including the outdoor swimming pool and exercise area are first rate, and should be utilized.

The buffet breakfast was as extravagant as the hotel itself, with no expense spared to create the most incredible culinary experience.

Room Tip: Consider selecting a room toward the top as the hotel is 70 stories high, and has a great view of th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Spent 3 nights here and despite some issues can't help but be impressed. Check in was great and all the staff were very helpful and friendly. We decided that it would be only slightly more expensive to upgrade to an executive suite so we did. We were given suite 6704 the 67th floor which was really nice and had some great views. Unfortunately it seemed to have a restaurant kitchen above the bedroom. At 5 am when my wife and I had lain in bed for 4 hours failing to sleep due to someone cleaning pans etc I went down to reception to complain.
The staff were very apologetic and helpful and within 30 minutes we had been moved, with a comp upgrade to a deluxe suite, 2214. This room was spectacular and is probably the nicest room I've ever stayed in.
The executive lounge is fantastic and well worth paying the upgrade for as you can then eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and hors d'hoevres with all the soft drinks, tea & coffee you can want.
It was quite strange lying on a sun lounger next to the pool in the blazing sun listening to Christmas music though.

Room Tip: Avoid 67th floor of tower a as restaurant and lift to bar on floor above will keep you awake.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

There was a price drop and I was able to justify my staying here during a recent business trip and I was thrilled.

After a twelve hour plane ride this was the perfect hotel for me! The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They opened up their huge gym for me in the middle of the night upon request.

The service in the executive lounge was amazing.

For a 22 hour layover, this was the perfect place to recharge the batteries!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My second trip at this hotel, one of my best friends is in the industry here and I usually frequent his property. I find the concierge staff and amenities superb! I also truly enjoyed my dinner at Prime 68, the steak was prepared perfectly and the texture was incredible!

They are really full here, and the lifts for the upper floors are a little delayed, but worth price for view!

Room Tip: High Room with view of the ocean (you'll see the world island in progress still).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have stayed a number times at eh JW Dubai now and it is by far the best business hotel I know. Service is flawless, food amazing in all thier resturants and event thier catering is great. I have nothing to say and I am very picky. I can especially recommend the breakfast buffet and thier steak house (Prime)
The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds very comfy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business