“Wat a way to experience a degustation dinner!”
Review of Culinary Flight

Culinary Flight
Ranked #99 of 10,059 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Our signature Culinary Flight dining experience invites you to explore Burj Al Arab's astounding repertoire of restaurants and bars, course by course. Your journey begins at Skyview Bar, before moving on through five of our most impressive dining venues. Prepare to be treated like royalty as each restaurant showcases its most sumptuous dishes in Al Muntaha, Al Iwan and Junsui. Next, a succulent main course awaits you at Al Mahara, where you'll take pride of place as our team of chefs prepare your meal to perfection. Finally, a decadent dessert in our stunning atrium lounge Sahn Eddar, will put the finishing touches on an unforgettable culinary experience.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Culinary flight is quite an experience, taking over four hours in total covering five different restaurants. Quite expensive, particularly with the matching wines, but well worth it. Overall experience is quite special, with someone to escort you from venue to venue, but each of the servings appeared to be normal size, so by number 4 we were struggling!
Al Muntaha - this is on same floor as Skybar where the experience starts with a drink. Food was simply amazing with subtle flavours and beautiful presentation. Wine list was quite extensive, and equally expensive, making the matching wines cost sound reasonable.
Al Iwan - Middle Eastern style, with amazing decor and large buffet. Food was truly excellent, with perhaps the biggest (and possibly also the tastiest) scallops ever. Our Kenyan waiter was delightful
Junsui - Japanese this time. Restaurant looks very basic and focused on a very large buffet operation. Our Peking Duck selection for this course was only adequate, which was disappointing. Wine was a French Chablis, which was lovely and dry and worked well.
Al Mahara - This is the one with the huge aquarium. Much more upmarket, quiet and sophisticated. Service was excellent. The food (both beef and the sea bass) was beautifully cooked and presented. Provided a quick tour of the restaurant, including the private rooms (also with aquariums) by our waiter, Lucky.
Sahn Eddar - Desert is provided in the lobby lounge near the fountains. Service was again great and the presentation of the deserts was excellent. My poached pear was a bit under-ripe and hard but otherwise it was good. Matched desert wine from Sauternes was superb. Nice touch at the end was the little birthday cake for the birthday girl, even though we had to leave it for them as we'd eaten far too much already and we're flying out very early next morning.

2  Thank jrandsk

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was taken here as a surprise for my birthday and it was such a treat. The food was great (not the best I have ever tried) but for me it was the whole experience that made it! As it was Christmas, the hotel was beautifully decorated with big Christmas trees and nutcracker wooden soilders and felt very different to most areas of Dubai during this festive period. The staff were very attentive and the novelty of trying the different restaurants did not wear off! It really is a once in a lifetime experience as it is super expensive (particularly if doing the wine pairing) but so pleased to say I have been.
If I was to return, I would dine at the restaurant with the aquarium in, beautiful atmosphere.

5  Thank MrsRammington
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I decided to visit the Burj Al Arab as I knew it would be my only chance to go in a "7 star" hotel. To be fair this is nowhere near a 7 star, 6 at a push or an amazing 5 star.
The food was delicious, no faults there.
The view from the sky view bar was amazing and I paid for an extra drink whilst there as it was so great there.
The service is brilliant, but at the price you pay you expect that!
Love the fact that they have Hermes perfume and aftershave in the restrooms.
We spent £480 here and that includes a cocktail in the sky view bar, 3 starters in 3 different restaurants, a main course and dessert and coffee. We also ordered an extra cocktail each and a glass of house wine each. You're paying for the experience so if you can afford it do it, but it's not the best food in Dubai!
If you go say hi to George!

4  Thank Jojo71984
Reviewed 10 May 2014

WE had reservation for two last Nov 2013.

At first they gave us free drinks at Skybar and the drink was GREAT.
MEMORABLE COCKTAIL.
Since it was nightime, the city lights are great view but not all tables can see easily the city lights.
We had to ask the waiter if we can be moved to a different table after some of the guest that went in earlier has finished their cocktails.

Then we went to other 4 for resturants with different theme.

I love the archiecture, the design and even the restrooms are unique to each other.

Very cozy, comfortable and luxurious.

My favorite are the restrooms, it is nice to see different designs for the restrooms and themes. You don't need to use paper towel or hand dry blower.

You use a disposable actual wash cloths that were well put on the vanities.

The have actual powder area/ vanity where you can use free Hermes lotion or perfume.

PROS: Excellent customer service.
If you booked for couples anniversary or honeymoon, all the tables that we seated on different restaurants are designs with petals.
Very romantic.
The last restaurant where we had the desert and it was on the lobby.
It was already late a tonight so there is no band playing.
If there's a birthday they sang happy birthday with free cake.
And flower for ladies.
The Filipino waitresses are great. Very polite and accommodating.

Cons:
Limited choices for the menu.
The foods are ok but not great not memorable.
The only thing I remembered was the cocktail dubai. whatever it is called but that was awesome.

1  Thank prettykhen
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked the Dinner Culinary Flight for my husband's birthday. Overall it was a nice experience but for the price, some things could be improved upon.

Pros
Being able to try different restaurants all in the same night was a wonderful way to experience this famous hotel.
The Thai food was some of the best I've ever had outside of Thailand. We both absolutely loved the restaurant.
There is plenty of food, so you definitely will not be hungry at the end!
The menu had a very good selection of options and for myself, I was able to order an entirely vegetarian evening which was delicious.
It's designed to give you time to enjoy each location and there is no pressure to move on to the next meal.
Everyone was incredibly nice and at every location they were wishing my husband a happy birthday.

Cons
Although the self-paced meal is a nice idea, sometimes it went a bit extreme. It took us 45 mins to transition through the cocktail hour, mainly because they forgot about us. We finally flagged down a server who then tracked down a host to escort us to the next location. We had a similar situation in the next restaurant, as well. I don't believe it was done out of simple neglect, but in their willingness to not rush us, they also failed to notice when we were done and ready to move on. There is nothing fun about being done with a meal and then having to wait 20+ mins for someone to assist you.

With all of that said, overall it was a really nice experience, just maybe needs a bit more refinement on the transition aspect.

My favorite part of the night was the last location for dessert and coffee. They had a wonderful band playing and when we were finished, they brought out a birthday cake as a surprise and the band played "Happy Birthday" with perfect timing. It was an unexpected and very lovely touch!

One tip: Go hungry so you have room to eat all of the lovely food. My husband also did the wine pairing and enjoyed it.

1  Thank Melinda D