“Small room, noisy, old-looking”

The Carlton Tower Hotel
Ranked #317 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
London
“Small room, noisy, old-looking”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Great exterior and corridors but rest is just below average.
Single rooms are shoebox size. I had to change room 4 times because of room condition:AC, noisy location over club(inside hotel), bathroom flooding (twice).
The worst hotel condition in years in Dubai. Deira is sub-average neighborhood but some hotels are still fine there.
The restaurants have hyper-loud music and dancing girls: fine for entertainment, simply bad for sleep and business conversation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Corsica30
Vidya A, Director Rooms at The Carlton Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Response from our Vice President & Group General Manager:

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring your observations to my notice. We have taken steps immediately related to them . We would however like to inform you that your booking was for the standard Room and hence you had been allotted that particular room.

I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again .

I look forward to a chance of meeting you personally here.

Vice President &Group General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
Borex
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel is in a good situation. 200m from the metro and at the creek. Some good and cheap iranien restaurants in the area. Close to the spice/ gold souk. Russian prostitues around the pool area hassle males !

Room Tip: The higer the better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel B
Response from our Vice President &Group General Manager:

Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review about our Hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us ! We have noted the issue you have mentioned and will definitely look into resolving it

I look forward to your next visit and to a chance of meeting you personally here.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A great hotel to stay. this was my second time.Room was good size. The bathroom clean. Staff are always very friendly and helpful. Location was excellent for my business and working distance to market . Best thing close to city centre without the crowd of people. Tried other hotels. But this one suits me very nicely. Will come come back again. I go to Dubai 4 times a year. Will be staying in same hotel now. excellent. One disappointment was i had to pay extra for WIFI in my room. Its free only in lobby.

Room Tip: I stayed on 9th floor it was excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Hi there from Ashgabat,

I am travelling approximately six times a year to Dubai, sometimes I get a chance to stay with some friends of mine if they got a free space for me. But sometimes I gotta pay minimum 100$ for one night in the hotel. That what happened recently when I was staying in Carlton for the first time. I read the comments and did not expect much of service, however I was completely wrong when I did not believe to some bloggers ( considering them as picky persons). The hotel is really old and needs some renovation. Towels in the bathroom are dreadful, seems like they have been used for ages. In the room there was no sleepers ( for 100$ there should be one).
Staff is friendly. Breakfast is very basic,so do not expect too much. I'd rather stay in IBIS for the next time.

Room Tip: rooms away from noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We used this hotel as a stopover on our way back to Perth WA after holidaying in Turkey & Greece and had 2 nights and 2 days in Dubai.
Arrived late in the evening but had trouble free check in. Very nice rooms and so much space with modern, clean bathrooms. Most comfortable bed of the whole trip. Great breakfast and attentive front of house staff. Had great views of the Creek and we were only a few hundred meters from the local train station with this mode of transport an ideal way to travel. Access to all lines for travel to the Creek and the Shopping Malls. Our only cross was that there was no restaurant as such within the Hotel. It had what we thought was a Lebanese Restaurant but it was actually a night club and although they served food, it wasn't really the Dubai restaurant experience we were looking forward to. Would stay again but would be looking for alternative eating options.
Dean K Perth WA

Room Tip: Take the suite which is not much extra but well worth it and get a Creek view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It is a nice hotel
the breakfast is good
the rooms are clean, a little small but ok.

I just had a bad experience: I had to go to the reception to ask something.
then as I was going back to my room, in the elevator, one of the customers said to me: "are you from Russia, do you want to come in my room, tell me how much do you take".....

even if you wear a blue jeans and sport shoes (it was my case), I mean relax clothes, this was a little bit "surprising", I presume I should take this like a compliment?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia L
Response from our Vice President & Group General Manager:

I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again .

I look forward to a chance of meeting you personally here.

Vice President &Group General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Booked the hotel just for one night just because we needed an extra night in the city. The price was very low(less than $70/night) and I was not expecting a good service. How wrong I was... The hotel is located in busy area and close to stores, restaurants and Baniyas Square Subway station. The staff at the hotel was very friendly ; the check-in process was very fast. Our passports were held at th desk for couple of hours untill they process the information(it is something normal in many hotels in Dubai). To my pleasant surprise they did not have the room I requested and they upgraded the request to wonderfull suite. The suite was very spacious , with livving room and bedroom. The rooms were clean and spotless.
Will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family