“Just Wow - never disappoints”

Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah
Ranked #5 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was our eigth visit to Dubai in eight years and as with all previous occassions we booked into Madinat Jumeirah. We have tended to stay at Al Qasr but this was our second time at Dar Al Masyaf.

Because we have been so many times before and always love it, I tend to have a nagging fear when we arrive that it will not live up to past experience. Once again, however, this fear was soon quashed. It's as good as ever.

Without doubt this is our favourite resort. Everything you could want for is available without leaving the complex. In fact, we always plan to have meals out but usually end up sticking with the 40+ restaurants that are within walking/buggy/abra distance.

Personally I think that Dar Al Masyaf is slightly superia to Al Qasr but there's not a lot in it. Certainly the rooms are bigger. The free drinks from 6-8pm definitely swing it. Each evening we would have a couple of glasses of Champagne each before heading out. At Madinat prices, that probably saved us over £400 over our 4 night stay.

The rooms are absolutely beautiful and although we were in villa 24, quite a long way from the beach and pool, the buggies and abra's can be ordered by your butler which makes like easy if you don't feel like walking in the blistering heat. It was also nice to be able to sit out on the balcony overlooking the waterway.

The beds... don't get me started on the beds. My wife complains about our bed at home every time we get back from Dubai. The beds just seem to eat you up. I can't imagine anyone struggling to sleep.

Breakfast is fantsatic whether you eat it by the pool or in the main restaurant. We didn't really do it justice but you could spend hours in there if you wanted. It's worth it just for the mint and lemon juice. Beautiful!

Other than the rooms, eating options and the impecable service, it is the beach and the pool that make the resort what it is. While the pool can get quite lively when there are plenty of kids about, the beach is a lovely peaceful retreat. The water was like getting in a bath too.

I need to add that the one negative is that Madinat Jumeirah is very expensive. When we first visited it was a cheap get-away. That is far from the case now. The rooms are expensive and some of the food and drink prices can be eye-watering. That said, the fact that we keep going back goes to show that you are getting the quality that you pay for.

If you are thinking about booking either Al Qasr or Dar Al Masyaf, all I can say is "do it". You won't regret it.

1  Thank Oldham_mark
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Dear Guest

On behalf of the team, I would like thank you for your loyal patronage towards Madinat Jumeirah over the last eight years and also for recommending the resort via TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read from your review that we once again managed to live up to your expectations. All you comments are highly appreciated and I will certainly share them with the team.

Once again, thank you for posting a review and we all look forward to welcoming you and your family back to your favourite resort, Madinat Jumeirah in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Fourth stay at Madinat but first at DAM (and hopefully not the last).

Absolutely love this place as it’s pure luxury and the location is just fab but obviously it does come at a price.

We were in Villa 14 which is near the tennis courts and about 5 mins walk from the beach. We did get the buggy and abras and usually didn’t have to wait that long. Room was great, and air con just right, previously at Al Qasr I had found the room to be a bit warm and couldn’t sort out the air con to a decent termperature, not a problem here though. Did notice that the little freebies given at the turn down service had dwindled to a couple of chocs.

The drinks are very expensive (£12 for an alcoholic cocktail and £20 plus for a champagne cocktail). The bars we went to Bahri and Koobah, have great views of the colour changing Burj al Arab.

We took advantage of the happy hour each evening from 6-8 and always had a couple of drinks before we had our evening meal although the selection is not vast. Found all butlers to be very helpul, particularly Melanie.

We were half board and there were a lot of restaurants on the list that had not been on it previusly. Two new ones we tried were Villa Beach which is right next to the Burj and part of JBH and Segreto’s near the Souk (although Segreto’s air con is so fierce I had to go outside to warm up). We did venture over to the Zabeel Saray on the Palm, worth a trip for a nosey at the hotel which is very bling, but wouldn’t go again and don’t think I would stay there either as it’s too far out. No complaints at all with the food in any of the restaurants.

As before had breakfast at the restaurant near the pool and the very plesant ladies here always greeted us by name.

Beach /sea great and the view is brilliant.

All in all we had a great 10 days and wall to wall sunshine in September. This is THE place to stay in Dubai. We were very sad to leave and it was extremely depressing when we came home to the UK to the rain.

2  Thank NicBunny
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Guest

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent holiday at Dar Al Masyaf, Madinat Jumeirah and thank you for posting a review via TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your complementary feedback regarding different elements of your stay. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for recommending the resort on TripAdvisor, we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I really enjoyed the stay at Dar Al Masyaf for our anniversery. The hotel has traditional Emirati style where each villa is divided into rooms or suites. Our suite was on the ground floor with beach access. The beach was nice and clean. The in-room dining was really good. Souq Madinat Jumierah is minutes away.

The room has a simple style with a big bathroom with a bathtub and shower.

Each villa has a butler offering excellent service.

I loved the surprise they prepared for me for my anniversary with petals and a yummy cake.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your anniversary and sharing your feedback following your recent stay at Dar Al Masyaf.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and your kind words are greatly appreciated. I will definitely share your feedback with the rest of the team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We have stayed here around 10 times now , its beautiful .
Villa 5 6 7 8 or 9 are great location , 9 isnt overlooking the sea but it quiet and relaxing .
The villa are more than 5 star , beds are huge bedding amazing , cleaned to perfection .
The butler service is very good and helpful .
I cant say anything negative about the place , if you like it busy or lively then you may find it too quiet .
Food is expensive and drinks so bearthis in mind but you can use Madinat souk outlets so that takes away the expense if your there a week or so .

Room Tip: Try and buy entainer vouchers from ebay this will get you one meal free it is worth getting them as...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your 10th stay with us at Madinat Jumeirah.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and was pleased with the service and facilities at the property. All your kind comments with regards to the villas and butler service are greatly appreciated. I will certainly share this with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your continued loyalty towards Madinat Jumeirah, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Another great stay at DAM for a family of 4. Great food, great villa (5) and great pools/beach.
We did notice a few cut backs eg. no nice turn-down gifts like we used to (just had a bookmark or 2 and a couple of small chocolate pieces), there wasn't always a turn-down gift for the children either. Our butler wasn't great this time and didn't tell us about a supplement at the Rivington grill and we had a few other minor issues.
Aboretum wasn't as good as it normally is. Breakfast was a bit chaotic there so we definitely preferred the calm of Khaymat al Bahar where we found the best omelette maker ever! We had lovely meals at Zheng he's, beachcombers (hugely underrated in my opinion & great for families) and a gorgeous lunch at Al Muna.
Special thanks must go to Rodolpho- one of the beach attendants - for making our little girl so happy with the little shell gifts he brought her - a truly lovely man. Also the Al Qasr Abra dispatcher - a lady from Ethiopia who had just started her job having been a lifeguard at Sinbads.
Sinbads was a disappointment - needs an overhaul and some enthusiastic staff. When we popped in the staff were definitely not interacting as I would expect. One lady was painting herself a t-shirt whilst kids ran around her.
Overall still a great stay and I think we'll go back,

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Jul06

Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay at Dar Al Masyaf and taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor.

It is not our intension to reduce any services or facilities within the resort and I am sorry that you felt this was the case. Our main focus is for all of our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay however I thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I appreciate you bringing the various issues that you have experienced to my attention, in order that I have the opportunity to address your feedback to the concerned departments.

I very much appreciate your comments with regards to our colleague Rodolpho from the Pool & Beach team and also Helen from the Abra team. I will certainly share this and I am sure that they will be equally delighted to receive your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your continued loyalty towards Madinat Jumeirah, we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

This was our return visit - we had such a good time last year, we didn't think twice about booking again. However, it seems that the Jumeirah group have been cost cutting by getting rid of some of the little things. Well - newsflash - it's the little things that make a difference, and that we notice first.

I had emailed several weeks prior to our visit, and specified that I wanted a room on the first floor - we don't have kids, and I don't like to think that people can look into our room So I was very disappointed to be given a ground floor room on arrival. We had to stay here for 2 nights until another room in another villa became available - not the end of the world, but it meant that we couldn't unpack for the best part of 3 days.

Ground floor room was exactly the same as the first floor - you can check out last years' review for details. Huge bathroom, saggy mattress. By day 3 I was almost crippled, and seriously thinking about sleeping on the floor.

What did we miss most this time? The little gifts on turndown - no lovely soaps, handcreams, foot sprays - some nights we didn't even get the miniscule square of chocolate - just a cardboard bookmark!

Husband was gutted to discover that there is no honeycomb at breakfast any more. And less choice than there used to be too.

Service has deteriorated in the villas - trying to get a buggy or an abra means ringing at least 30 minutes in advance - and even that doesn't guarentee it'll turn up ontime. Both times we needed to be somewhere for a booked time - brunch, and slightly more importantly - the airport - the buggy was 20 mins late. And then we had to wait a further 15 minutes for our luggage to catch us up. Some of the concierges don't seem very experienced, and their English is not brilliant. The TV in the rooms is on a loop - same show every day on MTV, same movies. And for the money they cost, and what we are paying - would it be too much to ask for a proper alarm clock, and an iPod dock?

And again - there needs to be more than one person serving from 6-8 in the evening - especially when there are people sat outside and inside.

Housekeeping was hit and miss too - cannot for the life of me understand why they kept leaving us handtowels instead of face flannels - maybe having all the cold towels when you arrive at a place has led to a shortage? Cutlery and fruit often not replaced, mini bar not restocked either.

If you stay in the villas, bear in mind that service by the pools is non-existant. If you want a beer, I suggest you get a pack at duty free on arrival, and stick it in the mini bar - much cheaper too. £9 a pint otherwise....

Everything else was as expected - it was hot, the taxis were cheap, the traffic was manic and Sameer at Lucky jewellery in the Gold Souk is still my BFF.

3  Thank Anionfan
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay at Dar Al Masyaf for the 2nd times and for taking the time to share your experience via TripAdvisor.

It was never and will never be our intension to reduce any services or facilities within the resort. Our main focus is for all of our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay however I thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

I appreciate you bringing the various issues that you have experienced to my attention, in order that I have the opportunity to address your feedback to the concerned departments. Rest assured, we will take all necessary action to avoid these issues repeating themselves in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We arrived after an onvernight flight and just wanted to bring our luggage to the hotel to do some shopping downtown before check-in at afternoon. However, after stepping in, we could relax in a big launge room with showers next to it. Therefore, we took-on our bathing suits and went to the beach for some swimming and sleeping. After that, we visited the souk, and had a wonderful lunch at the arabian restaurant "Al Makan". So, even before check-in, we had the best hotel experience ever!
After checking-in, staying at one of the villas we were treated like royalties, having our personal butler service, very spacious rooms, a gorgeous beach - everything in this hotel is just pure indulgence! Although we only stayed for 2 nights, we could relax and re-energize ourselves more than ever...At the villas, they made reservations for the restaurants for us and we could have free champaign and all sorts of drinks during "happy hour" before dining. All-in-all: Its hard to imagine that a hotel can be better - even the weather was perfect!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent short holiday with us at Dar Al Masyaf and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your experience.

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your holiday, and specifically for recognizing the efforts of our Butler Service team, I know they will be so happy to hear of your feedback.

Thank you for recommending our hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back to Dar Al Masyaf, hopefully in the very near future.