Firstly, people who rate this as an amazing 5 star experience have most probably never stayed in a 5* resort. The setting is quite nice, the pool area is beautiful and there is enough space.
Second, this is advertised as a romantic get away place but in fact it is full of children. So nice for families but not so for couples.
However the biggest issue is the service. I could write an essay after being here fir 2 days. Some highlights:
1. The Russian girls (Arabian experience?!) at the reception desk have below average English skills so communication is an issue. Also no apparent experience in the hotel service industry and worst of all, absolutely no desire to be helpful or service minded at all!
2. Our welcome letter from the management was addressed to someone else
3. Do not order a mojito at the rooftop bar, it doesn't even vaguely resemble one.
4. Breakfast is a funny experience. The food variety is good, but certainly not 5* - there is no fresh juice for instance. The staff is unable to cope, there are plenty of waiters around but clearly nobody in charge so it is a chaos. Getting coffee is quicker if you walk to the bar yourself, the tables are not cleaned.
5. There is virtually not a single difference between a superior or deluxe room except the floor level. We had to change rooms because of separate bookings but there is nothing to justify the price difference. The receptionist did tell us that the superior ones are more luxury but we packed and moved for nothing.
Overall, I am yet to experience the "Arabian hospitality" in Bab al Shams, which might prove challenging since I haven't seen a single Arabian person among the staff so far.
The value for money is poor, if you want to see the desert then book a trip while staying in the much much better hotels in Dubai city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Translated from Arabic as "Gateway to the sun", the *award-winning 5-star Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa is designed to resemble a fortified rural Arab village amidst the desert landscape. Featuring low-rise architecture, this sandy coloured style fort boasts the main tower with Reception area and lobby and clusters of two-storey buildings housing guest accommodation, restaurants, spa and meeting facilities interconnected by seemingly endless little walkways. The charm of Arabia is personified in every corner of the property with small lanes running through the hotel, scattered around ponds and secluded seating areas, shaded courtyards, water fountains and trickling streams bestowing the feel of cool tranquillity. The abundance of green garden areas and manicured lawns adds to the quiet and soothing environment of the resort. The rustic Arabian theme of exterior design continues to flow in the carefully selected interior decorations and settings featuring uncovered natural stone floors, bare plastered walls, dark wood and iron fixtures, warm dimmed lighting and an abundance of artefacts showcased throughout the property. The resort boasts 113 rooms and suites offering cosy accommodation in an authentic Arabian style with majority of the rooms having a private terrace. All guest rooms and public areas have complimentary Wi-Fi access. *World's Leading Desert Resort, World Travel Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bab Al Shams Desert Resort And Spa
- Bab Al Shams Desert Hotel Dubai