Bab Al Shams is a truly incredible hotel break. If you are searching for a thoroughly relaxing stay, this is the hotel for you.
It is designed in an old Arabesque style, reminiscent of a Lawrence of Arabia styled set. While having the appearance of simplicity of a basically designed 5 star hotel, Bab Al Shams has all the mod-cons that are expected of any new ‘shiny’ hotel. However no hotel can make you feel like you are in a 19th century Sheikh Palace while enjoying numerous 5 star quality hotels, cooling in one of the many infinity pools, distressing in its world class Spa or simply relaxing in the spacious, luxurious rooms.
We were greeted with exceptional hospitability by Bab Al Shams polite and professional staff – with a delicious mint & lime drink on arrival at reception. We were shown directly to our room by a courteous staff member who did not hesitate on departure in expectation of a tip like you would experience in so many other hotels.
The room was immaculate while still designed in an aged, rustic theme. The room was inclusive of an incredible expresso machine, spacious balcony, and all the luxuries you would want or need of a hotel. The bed was near impossible to get out of once you got into it – likewise the beautifully designed shower/bath.
After settling into our room, we wandered around the hotel. The architecture is truly amazing and we discovered little nooks and cranny’s with swings, serenity pools, cushioned sitting areas that are truly representative of an Arabic homes Majli. Even to stroll around the hotel’s grounds and arrive at the edges to be faced with a seemingly infinite desert landscape, can make you forget life’s problems. This hotel was created to induce absolute relaxation and it does just that!
We had a half-board package which entitled us to a buffet dinner, a buffet breakfast and a 50 minute couple’s massage. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the buffet – Usually, in any hotel regardless of how many stars, the buffet meals are bland and the hot foot below par. However, the buffet we experienced, for both dinner and breakfast, were fantastic. The quality of food was similar to what you would experience on an a-la-carte menu.
We relaxed by the large family pool on arrival, which was inclusive of an infinity pool that looked out into the desert abyss just 20 metres from the pool area. However, the second pool area was under construction and refurbishment while we were there. In lieu of this, the hotel offered us a day pass to Bab Al Shams itself for a day of our choosing, as well as a complementary day pass to their decedent Meydan Beach Resort, located in the central hub of Dubai Marina, on Jumierah Beach Road. Upon checking out of the resort, we informed the receptionist that we would be visiting the Meydan Beach Resort that day. The receptionist kindly phoned ahead to inform the resort of our arrival. The Beach Resort itself was fantastic! It was quiet, with maybe 5/6 other people there, the facilities (gym/spa/sauna/steam room/Jacuzzi/2 infinity pools) were spectacular, with views looking out on the Palm Jumierah itself.
It was an incredible stay – amazing setting, friendly and polite staff, accommodating hotel policy – a thoroughly relaxing stay! I would recommend to anyone!
It can’t be considered ‘far’ from Dubai but due to the selection of hotels within a stone’s throw of each other in Dubai, this 30 minute drive is a bit farther away than most hotels in Dubai, with a boring drive along a straight road to get to it. However, its location only serves to add to the specifically created relaxing vibe and atmosphere.
For any ‘active’ gym-goers, who might like to work out in a fancy gym while staying at a hotel, might be disappointed as there is no gym in the hotel! Again, this is purposely done to create a mellow ambiance.
The quality of the hotel is above repute so naturally you should be expecting to pay top dollar for a stay here – and naturally you do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Translated from Arabic as "Gateway to the sun", the *award-winning 5-star Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa is designed to resemble a fortified rural Arab village amidst the desert landscape. Featuring low-rise architecture, this sandy coloured style fort boasts the main tower with Reception area and lobby and clusters of two-storey buildings housing guest accommodation, restaurants, spa and meeting facilities interconnected by seemingly endless little walkways. The charm of Arabia is personified in every corner of the property with small lanes running through the hotel, scattered around ponds and secluded seating areas, shaded courtyards, water fountains and trickling streams bestowing the feel of cool tranquillity. The abundance of green garden areas and manicured lawns adds to the quiet and soothing environment of the resort. The rustic Arabian theme of exterior design continues to flow in the carefully selected interior decorations and settings featuring uncovered natural stone floors, bare plastered walls, dark wood and iron fixtures, warm dimmed lighting and an abundance of artefacts showcased throughout the property. The resort boasts 113 rooms and suites offering cosy accommodation in an authentic Arabian style with majority of the rooms having a private terrace. All guest rooms and public areas have complimentary Wi-Fi access. *World's Leading Desert Resort, World Travel Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bab Al Shams Desert Resort And Spa
- Bab Al Shams Desert Hotel Dubai