“Desert safari”

Lama Desert Tours & Cruises L.L.C.
Ranked #27 of 51 Nature & Parks in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: LAMA: Love All, Meet All LAMA is committed to serving customers with utmost professionalism and care. We inspire people to travel and explore to enrich their lives, employing the latest technology solutions to exceed expectations at all times.LAMA delivers a high quality service at incredibly reasonable prices. We promise you the very best deals and and an experience you will never forget!
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Desert safari”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked the evening desert safari. Had to go to the office and couldn't book over the phone which was slightly annoyed as had to spend money on the taxi. The driver came at the allocated pick up time that the company had given us. The desert was quite a drive from where we stayed. We made a short stop at some shops and were able to buy some stuff or use the restroom. After we left the shop, the driver then took us on the sand. He drove fast and took us down some steep sand dunes which was scary. It isn't for the faint-hearted. Instead of enjoying it, I got tense. This lasted for approx. 30 mins. After we went for the quad bikes. We were given 2 quad bikes. We only used 1 quad bike as 3 of us were hesitant to go on them. I finally had the courage and then decided to swap with my dad's quad bike but the man said we couldn't. This really annoyed me as during the booking, we had given the company 2 entertainer vouchers for the quad bikes so 4 of us could use the 2 quad bikes given. It seems that it was a waste of vouchers then. The camel ride was very short. Only lasted for 20 seconds I think. There was a tanoura dance show which was good. The buffet was prepared quickly but I myself, didn't really enjoy the food. There was lots of variety in the buffet. There was also unlimited drinks which was good and also the henna designs from the lady were really nice too. We also had photos taken by a professional photographer and spent 140 dirhams buying one copy and a CD with 16 photos on it. The price was reasonable compared to the price we paid for photos taken at the Burj Khalifa. Overall, I think the desert safari was okay. Didn't enjoy it that much. I think the amount we paid for the desert safari wasn't worth it.

Visited June 2014
LamaTours, Arabian Reps at Lama Desert Tours & Cruises L.L.C., responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Saima,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to write this as it certainly helps us to improve our quality of service.

Vasai, India
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Not as expected. Not with this company.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just 3/4 minutes ride. a small piece of fried chicken and coke as starter and average quality dinner. It's not worth to visit. Only a falcon show of about ten minutes is worth. It may be due to low quality tour guide or arrangement by LAMA TOUR. DON'T GO WITH THEM.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank JosephFPereira
Dear Joseph,

Sorry you feel this way and I am surprised as we pride ourselves in our desert tours. Please contact me directly to discuss further..

Brisbane, Australia
“Great Tour!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Loved this tour! We had the best driver named Jamal who made our night magnificent! The entertainment was sensational and the dune bashing was so much fun! The only little downside was the food but seriously everything else covered for it by a mile! Would recommend to anyone coming to Dubai!

Visited May 2014
LamaTours, Arabian Reps at Lama Desert Tours & Cruises L.L.C., responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Zeinab90,

Thank you for the lovely review...we appreciate your kind feedback!! Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Hartsville, SC
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 311 helpful votes
“Read everything, you can decide!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have read the other reviews of Lama Tours, and I must say that my experience was completely different. First of all, my driver was excellent. He was extremely professional during pickup from the hotel, courteous to me and my wife and very nice when trying to enter and exit the vehicle. I am a large man, and sitting in the third tow of a Land Cruiser wasn't easy. He was very helpful. He was also a very safe driver through the city.

When we arrive at the entrance to the safari, we stopped at a small grocery/tienda. I told the driver that I needed a wrap for my bald head. He told me how much they cost at Carrefour and to not pay more than a certain amount. I appreciated the advice, because of course the store wanted 10 times the price of Carrefour. We let some air of the tires and began the dune ride.

I was very excited about this. Not too rough, but just rough enough. I loved the music choice that the driver played. Very cool arabic tones with a beat that matched his pace of driving. We stopped for some photos along the way.

We arrived at the camp. For my group, on the day I went, the safari was not sold out. There were several tables completely empty. The food was buffet style, and was plentiful. I thought the food was great. It wasn't dried out and wasn't cold. The dancing was a bit boring, to me. The beer is a bit pricey, but it's all imported from India and not really common in Dubai, so I guess I expected expensive beer. The smoking pipe (hooka, narguilla, or whatever you call it) was free in one area, but quite expensive if you have it your table. We decided to have it at the table, and pay the money. My advice is to have the free one, and buy a small hooka kit at the mall (or elsewhere) for half the price of smoking at your table.

While seated at the table, I inquired with others and determined that everyone pays a slightly different price, depending on if you booked directly with Lama, booked with your hotel, booked with a coupon, or booked with a travel agent. I would definitely try to get a bargain, regardless of when you go.

The camera guys were pushy. Say no, and they will try to sell you again. So no again, they will try to sell you a CD with all of your photos. So no again, and they stop. The henna lady wasn't "charging" for henna while I was there. However, the driver did tell us that she appreciates tips for larger designs. I got a scorpion on my arm for free. It lasted for about 8 days with normal showering. My wife got a large design on her arm, and tipped about $3 USD. The lady seemed quite happy with the tip, and gave her a scorpion on her ankle later, without asking for a tip. The most pushy people were the "Sand in a jar" guys. Very pushy, wouldn't take no for an answer. Crazy prices, which got lower and lower as the night progressed, but stil insane. If you want your name written in Arabic, just get your hotel clerk to do it when you check out.

I didn't ride a camel. I didn't ride an ATV. I didn't purchase any photos. All those things were available, but I simply didn't do it, so I can't speak to the price, quality or anything else.

Bathrooms were clean, but lots of water on the floor. Recommend that you take shoes that are easy to slip on and off. It's sandy, of course, but flip-flops or sandals might not be enough when you go to the bathroom. And you might want to be barefoot when walking around everywhere else.

All in all, this was a very good experience. I would do it again, definitely. After reading other reviews, from this company and others, I would say that the quality of your trip depends on how many people are booked and the specific driver you get. I tipped my driver at the end of the night, because he really made the trip much more enjoyable. ENJOY!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank 568MarkR
LamaTours, Arabian Reps at Lama Desert Tours & Cruises L.L.C., responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Mark R,

Thank you for your very kind review and feedback on our services. It is very much appreciated by us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Sunnyvale, California
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“OK experience”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

To start off, we were very excited to be going on the desert safari.
The driver arrived on time and drove us to the first stop which was by a grocery store and you could either stock up or use the restroom. There was a man over there holding a falcon and charged you 10 Dhs to hold it and take a picture. From there we drove on to the desert and park there with several other Lama tours vehicles while the drivers deflated the tires. We took some shots of us on the dunes. Then the sand bashing started and we went over and around the dunes - this was something I was anxious about since I do not enjoy roller coasters and the like and get nauseated. But it was not that bad - nobody in our car threw up and they was a good thing.
We reached the camp which is an outdoor area surrounded by booths of food, henna, gift items. The camel was right outside the camp and it was a good thing we headed right there after getting out of the car. Sunset was almost there and the kids wouldnt have enjoyed it as much in the dark. Given that, the camel ride was only a couple of minutes. No kidding, we got on and off before 5 mins were done. Did not expect that.
After we entered the camp, they told us we had assigned tables. We had to find our table and could browse around. We decided to get the appetizers which was one spring roll and one falafel which was given out - not buffet - completely rationed!?!
We went for henna later and got a small mediocre design which was included. If you wanted an additional design, then you had to pay 10 Dhs for it. The corn cob and coconut water was 10 Dhs each too.
The dinner was served after the falcon show. It was very average. You do not take a desert safari for the food. :). Then they had the belly dancing which was nice, and the tambourine dancer which was good too.
We also tried on the arab costumes and took pictures. My kids would have enjoyed too if they had had kid sizes. However the service was not good and only 3 outfits for ladies.
After the last show, they practically shooed us out the campsite.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Booklover F
Dear Booklover F,

Thank you for your review. With the help and advice of our dear guests, we can continue to improve our services, so we thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.

The next time you visit us, we promise to make your trip from an 'okay' experience to 'an amazing one'.