“Must see but don't expect too much”
Review of Gold Souk

Ranked #11 of 238 Shopping in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My friend took me there as it was my first visit to Dubai. We went over on the wooden ferry for 1AED (fun part of the experience). Lots of little Shops dotted around, all selling either 18c, 22 or 24c gold. Bigger shops don't go down in price much but in the little ones it's fun trying to haggle. A must if you wanna buy some gold as the quality is very good, lots of lovely designs and its much cheaper than in the UK. Go for the experience even if you're not thinking of buying anything, you might even see something you like.

9  Thank Cereza1307
Write a ReviewReviews (2,407)

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great place to visit if you want to buy Gold, much cheaper than in the UK and all Gold is available such as 18, 22 and 24 ct. If you don't want to buy gold it will be a waste of journey.

5  Thank Rozy14
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our friend took us there the first time we went we bought our daughter diamond earrings our friend did haggle and got the price down,when we got back home we had them valued they where worth a lot more than we paid,we went over on the ferry brilliant experience ,while you are over there go to the clothes market some good bargains there,I did not feel we where hassled we just said no thanks and they left us alone.

8  Thank Beachbabe60plus
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were so excited to travel outside our amazing Dubai resort and see a little of what makes the city of Dubai unique. Every tour book I read suggested a trip to the Gold Souk or Market. They told travelers to haggle and said the gold was amazing. But the minute we got out of our cab, we were strongly approached by several people trying to sell things and pull us, physically pull my husband and I, in different directions. On alert, we shook these men off and went inside. I was picturing tents and lots and people on one level, talking and trading. Not so. This is a flea market. At least 3 stories high with an escalator and a broken elevator. They are mall-like stores with lots of gold behind the glass. Most everyone is in western dress and they are just waiting to pounce. Some of the gold was beautiful, ornate and different. But I didn't dare touch anything or look interested because the sales people wouldn't let you leave without a purchase. Of all the things we saw in Dubai - this I wish we had skipped.

8  Thank Meredith C
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Even if you dont intend to buy, do go here...old world charm and tonnes of gold and diamonds...you will go WOW...i did go there to buy gold and found some good design in Popleys. there is no tax here and no wastage; all they charge is making charges which is usually 9-15% depending on the intricacy of design..definitely worth it!!

2  Thank Shruthi2012