“visit to Gold souk”

Ranked #12 of 237 Shopping in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 5 November 2013

visit to Gold souk is must when you are visiting with your wife.You can reach through metro train,nearest station is Al ras on greenline of Dubai metro

3  Thank rumit2013

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I spent some time in the Gold Souk during our recent visit to Dubai. For her, it was a first visit, for me, it was a reprise of a brief visit I made in 1978.

It has changed!

It is now a covered pedestrian way, lined with tightly packed, glass fronted gold and jewelry stores, packed with different styles of gold jewelry to suite the tastes of the many different nationalities that come to shop here. It is not like the raucous, somewhat mysterious place of westerner’s imaginations.

We had not come to buy, but just to look and experience all this, and see the huge necklaces and other exotic pieces that some eastern ladies seem to favor. In this we were not disappointed, an Aladdin’s cave of beautifully worked gold, but the real Souk, at least the one I had in my mind was not to be found.

If you go to buy, I think these shops are on the up and up, and are government regulated to assure you get the real quality they say it is. The current gold prices are listed by weight all over the place; and are not negotiable. Your haggle-margin is the mark-up for the workmanship and intricacy of the piece.

Lots of people standing about offer you “Rolex” and other expensive watches as you walk by, but aren’t pushy and take No Thanks for an answer. I think what they do if you show interest is to take you to the shop that hires them – maybe in a side street- and there you would get the sales pitch.

Buyer Beware
!
It was fun, worth an hour or so of your time.

8  Thank Drew I
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I went to the Gold Souk market and brought some jewellery from Mignas for me and my family. It was a very good store and the people there were very nice and respectful. Can anyone tell me if they have visited that store and share their experience whether it was good or bad. I'm not an expert in jewellery and I think I got a pretty good deal, but I just want to know of someone else's experience, because I plan on going back, or if another store can be recommended. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

22  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My friend took me there as it was my first visit to Dubai. We went over on the wooden ferry for 1AED (fun part of the experience). Lots of little Shops dotted around, all selling either 18c, 22 or 24c gold. Bigger shops don't go down in price much but in the little ones it's fun trying to haggle. A must if you wanna buy some gold as the quality is very good, lots of lovely designs and its much cheaper than in the UK. Go for the experience even if you're not thinking of buying anything, you might even see something you like.

9  Thank Cereza1307
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great place to visit if you want to buy Gold, much cheaper than in the UK and all Gold is available such as 18, 22 and 24 ct. If you don't want to buy gold it will be a waste of journey.

5  Thank Rozy14