“Not quite up to the mark”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Midwest Reve

Grand Midwest Reve
Ranked #481 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not quite up to the mark”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked this hotel because of its location and because I wanted an apartment instead of just a room as I was going to stay in town for close to 2 weeks.
The I was given was a studio - spacious with good light coming in from the massive windows. The kitchen was well stocked and I was happy to have the conveniences of being able to do my own laundry and be able to make my own breakfast for example. The hotel also boasted a 24hr room service menu. All in all, a good deal right? WRONG!

The room service menu is extensive, but is rather pricey. It also most certainly does not operate on a 24hr basis. When I eventually rung up the frontdesk to find out what the matter was I was told that room service only operates during the day. It was very late (11pm) and luckily I found a restaurant in the vicinity which was still open at that time. So dont arrive there hungry after travelling an expect a simple dinner after 8pm at night.

I decided to give room service another go - ordering breakfast on one of the days. Take my advice - simply Dont. The sauted mushrooms are nothing more than tinned mushrooms tossed about with a bit of onion which are charged at 20AED a serving. I dont mind paying a premium for room service, but when breakfast for 2 people comes to 150AED plus a tip with food that's practically inedible then you just dont do it. (Juice, coffee, tea, eggs, sausages, cheese, mushrooms only)

There were no complimentary waters or coffee or tea in the rooms...you have to rely on room service for that.

The other annoying thing was that my toilet had no seatcover. Management promised to sort it out but never did.

The most annoying thing however was the fact that my water heater in my room just never worked. I was forced to take cold showers daily. I also complained about this daily...and nothing was done to correct this.

The cleaning staff also were a bit lax to say the least. The dishes were not cleaned after my breakfast incident. Until I specifically asked the front desk to arrange for housekeeping. Furthermore the cleaning staff were very loud in the mornings outside my room - at 8am on the weekend.

The other thing was the fact that internet in my room was chargeable. Certainly management did not offer to give me complimentary access after numerous complaints about the disfunctional water heater.

I terminated my stay at this hotel after 5 nights. I just could not face another cold shower.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BonitaCarr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I didn't find reception staff friendly, not to mentioned that instead of one bedroom apartment i was checked in into studio, which i completely understand could happened human error but the fact that many my requests were ignored or forgotten by front desk made me think to write this note and to not recommend this hotel apartments to my friends and colleagues, unfortunately at this present moment i do not have choice as my company booked me here since my permanent apartment in Dubai is not ready yet. Parking space are too small on B1 and B2, my car can hardly fit the parking slot, i also asked receptionist several times about the internet who stated that internet is chargeable which i completely understood, and later on find out from one of my colleague that internet can be used free of charge in the main lobby, no one bother to give me quick info about hotel, on contrary they were cold and unprofessional upon check in. On other hand HK attendants are very polite and efficient, this would be my second week stay in hotel apartment and I really do hope this note will help management and travelers know all challenges they have or might face in this hotel apartments.
Room 1701, Grand Midwest Reve Hotel Apartments.
18/05/2014

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Maksat A
Krasnodar, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

well, we was in this hotel for 6 days, and whole experience was quite good , BUT breakfast was horrible, i know that the hotel is pretty cheap, but it has 4 stars!
so
rooms are pretty poor , furniture is cheap, bed is fine
service is fine
location is good, not far from dubai mall, very close to emirates mall,close to palm jumeirah , where you can find great beach clubs with fine beaches and pools(entrance 80aed)
close to jbr(free public beach) and dubai marina
it located in tecom and al barsha , where lots of delivery restaurants so you won't have any problems with food

Room Tip: well, we was in this hotel for 6 days, and whole experience was quite good , BUT breakfast was horri...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pavel270490
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The staff were really stupid. Breakfast was very poor. There is no express laundry service. The room was barely cleaned daily and they never changed the sheets during my 5 day stay. I was locked out of my room on checkout day even after I had a written confirmation for late checkout.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rita C

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Firstly, the room was nice and good value, with modern and clean fittings.

The service, however, was the worst I've ever experienced! Massively long wait for both check in and check out for no visible reason apart from extremely bad management and incompetence. Even with the manager there everything took 5 times as long as it should. The reception desk staff were very rude, cold and utterly unhelpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irishsurfergirl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed in this accommodation for 7 nights during Feb/March 2014.

A quick summary, I would say this is fairly average. Nothing special and nothing too bad.

CHECKING IN
Was fairly quick. We arrived about 2am so were very tired and was a little slow, but not too bad I guess. Reception and booking in procedure was very robotic. Nothing personal about the booking in. First impressions were not all great, but to be fair, not horrible.

ROOM
We had a double bed. It had two pillows, as if for two people to sleep in the bed, but the bed, in no way was a double bed. It was more like three quarters of a double bed. Fortunately me and my wife are very thin, but we still struggled. Two average sized people will struggle considerably in these beds. Me and my wife were unable to turn in bed without waking the other up.
This was a major let down. Sold a bit short too in relation to the room having a double bed but actually it doesn't. I've stayed in many hotels worldwide and this is the smallest double bed I have had. Its noticeably smaller than any other double bed I have slept in.

The room otherwise was very basic. Nothing special, but not bad either. If you are only going to sleep, (in a 3/4 double bed), then its ok. Has a lot of unnecessary kitchen utensils, which were unused.

Air con was ok. Didn't really need it whilst we were at the hotel as weather was not too hot.

Bathroom was good. Possibly the best thing in the hotel.

We had a room on the first floor. We specifically asked for a room on a high floor but we couldn't have got a lower floor. Was very noisy first thing in the morning and occasionally you could hear cars during the night. We asked for a change, but were told we could move two days before we were due to check out. Didn't see the point in changing then. Would have been too much hassle.

The hotel has a pool. Again, its very small. Fortunately it was quiet when we stayed so always got a lounger and no one in the pool.

FOOD
We ate breakfast once in the hotel, and glad we didn't pre book it.
I think the breakfast is catered for Eastern Europeans. I am happy and will eat anything but the food was very sub standard. I think it was there more as a formality than anything. It is a buffet but very bad food.

LOCAL AREA
Nothing at all to do in the immediate locality. Metro station is about 5 minute walk away. Taxis are easily available, but when you want to return to the hotel, its not the easiest for taxi drivers to find, even with the hotel business card. The area in general is a newly renovated area, so hence why no one knows where it is.

OVERALL
Would I stay here again?
With a family, definitely not. The double bed is inadequate for two very thin people, so two average people have no hope of getting a nice sleep in the bed.
It is clean and you get the basics.

If you are on your own, its fine. Don't eat in the hotel and don't expect excellent customer service. Its an OK hotel, but don't expect the wow treatment, I would say a Premier Inn hotel, is considerably better and slightly cheaper than this. So if you see this is suitable for your budget, book a Premier Inn hotel.
This is supposedly a 4 * hotel, but I would give it a 2, maybe a 3.

I can't say its a bad hotel, but its just not a WOW hotel either. On a low budget, this hotel would be ideal, but you can get a Premier Inn for the same, if not lower price,

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. The lower it is the worse it is due to outside noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Asimabbasi
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a fairly new hotel - and it shows! In fairness, our room wasn't bad, but the furnishings and 2nd fix construction work was a bit tacky.
We had booked through Expedia which included free wi-fi, but we still had to get our access code refreshed at the front desk every two days of our stay - so we had no continuity. The telephones didn't work in the room, neither did the TV in the small gym.
The breakfast was self- service from what we thought was a trough - an experience to be definitely avoided! Neither the food nor the service was good. The reception staff upset me on arrival, as when I asked if we could park our bags in the room having arrived early - even though the room was available, they insisted that we should pay an extra 200 Dirhams for the privilege! (Dream on!).
We formed the opinion that:
1. The hotel was not quite ready to take paying guests
2. The quality of service was abysmal with little evidence of staff training
3. The management was inadequate with no customer focus

Don't these people realise that first impressions count - and when customers are not respected or accommodated - they will NEVER return?

• Stayed January 2014