“Excellent .... best decision while on a shopping spree.”

Al Salam Hotel Suites
Ranked #184 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Since we were travelling with two infants, I and my wife did a lot of research before choosing Chelsea Tower. We got mixed reviews from different website but experienced an excellent and courteous service.

The staff was well trained and well mannered, and knew how to deal with customer requests. Its just that one should give respect to service level guys, when he/she expects the same from them.

The apartment given to us was in the mid level floors (25th) yet had excellent views Burj Khalifah from one of the bedrooms. The kitchen is well maintained with nearly all the accessories one may need while on a leisure trip.

Above all, the location is in middle of Dubai and right opposite to the Metro station, though we only used taxis, which aren’t as expensive as in some other countries.

I had an excellent experience and would recommend it to all who travel for leisure/touristic purposes.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Arabian_Quest

Reviewed 29 December 2010

After doing a fair bit of research, I opted to stay at Chelsea Tower for a stay over Christmas with my wife and 2 teenage children over Christmas 2010. After reading the reviews, I had fairly high expectations but these were definitely exceeded.

Firstly, the location of Chelsea Tower was fantastic for us. We were looking for a 2 bedroom apartment and we didn’t want to pay the premium for the hotels on the beach at Jumeriah. We settled on Chelsea because it is conveniently located about mid-way between Central Dubai and Jumeriah Beach. It is on the main strip, Sheik Zahid Road, which means there are a wide range of restaurants, cafes and supermarkets within a 5 minute walk. The Chelsea also benefits from being directly opposite a metro station which is a very cheap and convenient way to travel into Dubai or out towards Jumeriah. The metro stations are immaculate as are the trains and it was a great way to avoid the traffic at peak times.

We booked a 2 bedroom suite and were upgraded on arrival to a 3 bedroom suite on the 48th (top) floor. The view was spectacular and the apartment itself was well equipped and very spacious. The 2 bedroom apartments at Chelsea all have 2 bathrooms and in ours we had 3. The master bedroom had a king-size bed and TV, we also had one twin and one double. The kitchen is not massive but certainly not cramped and is well-equipped with a washing machine, dryer, microwave, electric oven and hob, coffee maker and dishwasher. Cutlery and crockery were provided, although pans were a bit limited. The living room had a dining area and sitting areas with a 37” flat screen TV and DVD player.

The health club has a reasonable gym that seemed rarely occupied, the pool is outdoors on the roof of a 6 story adjoining building accessed by a skywalk. The outdoor heated pool was clean and not crowded and there was a Jacuzzi and separate male and female saunas. We never ate in the restaurant so I can’t comment on that, it didn’t seem very upmarket and was always empty when I passed but the buffet breakfast seemed reasonably priced for Dubai (55dhrms about £10). I should say that the hotel is “dry” i.e. there is no alcohol on sale in the restaurant or via room service. Consuming alcohol in public places in the hotel was not allowed. This was no problem for us since we are Muslim but might be a consideration for some, however many restaurants in Dubai serve alcohol and when staying at Chelsea I think most people would be eating out rather than in the hotel anyway.

The service we got was excellent and much better than I expected from an apartment hotel as opposed to a conventional hotel. We arrived early in the morning and they were happy to check us in. We requested extra blankets and they were brought immediately, one evening we had trouble operating the dryer one evening and someone was there within 5 minutes.

We visited many of the other hotels and resorts in Dubai during our stay and I can honestly say that I never wished we were staying at any of them instead of Chelsea Tower. If you want a hotel where you don’t have to leave and can go straight out from your hotel to the beach then Chelsea Tower is definitely not for you. However, if you are looking for a comfortable, spacious apartment, situated in easy access of the various attractions within Dubai I would strongly recommend the Chelsea.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank DavidMurphy
Reviewed 11 October 2010

The staff at the Chelsea Tower, starting from the Front Desk, to Consierge and Bell-Hops, to Housekeeping, Engineering, Gym, etc. are first class and incredibley guest-focused. I have been staying at the Chelsea Tower Hotel and the entire staff, every single person, has made me feel like they are my family away from home. Courteous, respectful, efficient and guest-focused. I am very impressed and very grateful to the staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We spent three nights last weekend and were upgraded from the two-bedroom unit we reserved to a three bedroom with a a view of the ocean from the 26th. floor. the location is good, since it's close to the transit system and a grocery store that sells bacon (a big treat for us since we live in Saudi).
It was nice to have our own rooms and a full kitchen to make breakfast. The health club and pool are also good and very easy to get to.
We noted several things in the room that were broken or not working properly. In all fairness, I didn't complain, as I feared they would send in a team of repairmen in during our stay. The parking garage is also very narrow and difficult to manuver but they offer free valet service so you can have them park for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank expatrick
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I stayed at Chelsea Tower Hotel Apartments for about 7 weeks from early July to mid-September 2010 for the time of my work in a financial company in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Upon arrival on July 1st, I was looking for a two bedroom apartment near Dubai International Financial Centre / Sheikh Zayed Road. The HR of the company I was working for provided me with a list of corporate agreements for employees in Dubai office. Chelsea was one of them and since my other friends were already staying there, the location was very good to my work and also the room we were offered was satisfactory, we accepted the offer, despite some preliminary doubts. Let me take this step by step.

-Reservation
Our contact person at Chelsea, Mrs. Mamta (Sales Director) was very kind to provide detailed information about the property, what it has to offer and about the 'very good offer' she can give me as a employee of a valuable company that Chelsea has been cooperating since its opening in 2005. We ended up paying 480 AED per day = 102 EUR (based on a monthly rate of 14.500 AED including internet). Despite declaring at the beginning that we would like to stay for 7 weeks, we were only offered the rate of 480 AED pr day for the first month, and thereafter a rack rate based on a shorter stay, which turned out to nearly 800 AED per day, so nearly a double of what we would have to pay for the first month. Mamta offered us to switch to a one-bedroom for the remaining time of our corporate stay in Dubai. Just to make it clear: me and my colleague from the company should share the same bedroom for 3 weeks to get the same price of 480 AED. Not only was it ridicolous by this lady that pretends to be a professional sales agent, but it was also directly offensive. Since we were running out of time and were exhausted by going from hotel to hotel in the 50 degrees C heat, we ended up booking the two bedroom apartment for one month. Once the time of the reservation was getting close to its expiry, i again asked Ms. Mamta if we can get it extended for the same rate, to which she replied that it is not possible since the hotel is having high occupancy (very doubtful since it was mid summer with temperatures hoovering 60 degrees C and a quick search on Chelsea's website showed me a wide availability, so a clear lie) and that she cannot do that. I was literally so fed up of this person that I considered finding another hotel, but since I was leaving then for a 4-5 days trip to Lebanon and Syria, I took the step of complaining to the CEO of the company I worked for and had it not been for action from my supervisor, Ms. Mamta had not approved it, but in the end, I received this very comic e-mail that it is NOW possible to offer us the same rate which previously it was not. Draw your own conclusions. I call it for very unprofessional behaviour.

-Room
We were assigned a two bedroom apartment on the 42nd or 43th floor (cant recall it precisely), but immediately after checking in I asked for a new room, as the air coming from the air condition in this room was very humid and it was not smelling very well. It may have most likely been due to the fact that it is July in Dubai, the warmest month of the year, and since that room was at the altidute of around 200-250 meters, with the hot wind from the desert blowing just outside the window and temperatures peaking at 60 degrees, the Air Condition may have taken the suffer of it. We were given another room (4601) on the 46th floor. The room itself had an amazing view, facing the North-Eastern side of Sheikh Zayed Rd and to the North we could see Dubai World in its full shape, an amazing view to wake up to and also to fall asleep by. Amenities in the room were as expected, the huge LCD (42'' ??) TV in the living room had some issues with its quality, not sure if the provider was to be blamed. We had two bedrooms, one master and a second one, both with their private bathrooms. The bathtube had some marks of being used for 5 years, the kitchen had all amenities one needed. Said in one sentence: the apartment had everything one could possibly need for a longer term, from pots, cutlery etc. There is however one important issue that the hotel should work on: internet connection: ridiculous that it is wired, so no wireless is offered and to get wireless we had to 'rent' a router that looked like a time machine from late 1990's, the wireless router was unsecured, thus anyone in the vicinity of our room could log in to our wireless router and eat up the bandwith of our internet connection, for which you have to pay extra by the way. We were also asked to pay extra for the router (300 AED +/- 75 EUR for one month) something we refused. The wireless was in the end not used that much, as it was insecure, very slow and the connection was breaking down very often. The IT manager, when I asked to see him, behaved like the General Manager of the hotel and were talking to me like he a man "that orders a pizza on the phone and asking for 5 min deliver", mean and unpolite. The issue remain unsolved.

-Service
After speaking to several employees of the hotel (more than 5-6) and after living at this hotel for 6-7 weeks I can say that the staff is well underpaid (paying housekeeping 200-250 USD per month in Dubai, accommodating them in a labour camp where they share the room with three other people working in Chelsea) you cannot expect full and top service from them. The concierge ltierally does not exist at this hotel, although I do remember the thin Indian boy in the lobby that always was smiling and whenever I asked him to post some letters for me, he was always very helpful. I cannot really say that the front-desk staff were efficient and they always gave me and my collegaue the look like "you corporate customers staying with us for a long time become from time to time a 'pain in the a**' as it is commonly expressed in the USA". The food at the restaurant was not of top quality, although the people there were friendly. I do not expect and I actually do not like fake smiles from hotel employees but when you live at the same place for so long time, it would be at least descent by the hotel staff to be a little more polite. I had several unnecessary argues with the laundy service about the costs since someone there clearly does not know how to use the calculator to count the proper cost. There were however people that were nice, the housekeeping staff (I think one was aged 20 or 22 when I asked him how old he was and the second one was a bit older 27 or 28) were always nice when we saw them, although they were cleaning the room when we were at work. The cleaning service of the room was done remarkable.

-Valet Parking
Living in Dubai without a car is really difficult, so I decided to rent a car for one month, a Ford Explorer. Valet parking was efficient, they never crashed the car, although at some point I was glad to have a full insurance on the car in case that would happen. One comment here that of 40 times I called the front desk and security to bring the car down from the parking house and have it ready by a certain time, in about 20 times this was never done and several times I was late for work because of this.

-Pool / Gym
Pool was always occupied by screaming kids, in most cases from Saudi Arabia that clearly were raised with different norms, since they disregarded other people in the pool. I tried swimming twice, but then gave it up. The gym was functionable, never full, the equipment was slightly out-dated, but then if you want to do some work out in the air conditioned environment, you dont really have an option when its 50-60 degrees outside and where you will be de-hydrated after 10-15 minutes.

-Pro's - Con's
Main + was the room, the view, the location.
The - is high price, unpolite reservation representative (sales director - Ms. Mamta) that should learn the basics of working in the hotel business and especially since this is Dubai. Other - is relatively poor service, mistreatment of the staff (read: underpaid)

The biggest minus however is a severe security breach of the hotel's front desk. While I was on a four day trip in Lebanon, I received a call from my friend that was asking me where I put the book I borrowed from him. Apparently he asked at the front desk for a key to our apartment stating that he knows me and that he is a friend of mine and they just gave it to HIM !!! If I would be the General Mananger of this hotel, I would seriously consider some proper training of their employees done by the HR.

Overall I would NOT recommend this hotel due to points stated above.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank gregas
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I was recommended here by an old friend. Convenient for the metro and malls etc. Very clean and hte staff attentive. Valet parking (free) is handy after a long day and the pool etc very clean and new gym equipment is nice. The on site restaurant only average but there are 30+ outlets ranging from coffee bars to high end eateries in walking distance. Taxis always available by the metro station (100mtrs walk) and cheap.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I read the Chelsea Tower Reviews on Tripadvisor before i went to Dubai and Stayed with them; and can report that all the Reviews which were positive came true for me too.

Landed early in the morning with my family and Emirates Airlines cocked up my booking for an early check-in and did not give me the right rooms. The Frontdesk were professional and the Egyptian Mohammed sorted out correct rooms and an early check-in, and true to his word after a short wait; we got a good 3 bedroom apartment which was clean, air-conned and with every ammenity (Satellite TV, Fridge, Microwave etc..) that a family could want. Excellent job Mohammed !

Breakfast meal was OK, a bit boring after a few days but the atmosphere created by the staff led by a cheerfull and competent Emad was enjoyable.

Swimming pool area was charming on 6th Floor with a lifegaurd there all the time, and my kids spent a lot of time enjoying there swim, without us worrying.

Chelsea Tower is a stones throw away from the Dubai Metro (Financial Centre Metro Station) which was very convenient; you can get the metro from Dubai Airport (Both Terminal 1 & 3) to Financial Centre or in the opposite direction Dubai Mall is the next stop. Taxis are available all the time on the Sheikh Zayed Rd in front of Chelsea tower; transport is not a problem at all (except maybe the Pakistani taxi drivers who can be rude).

There is a hypremarket not 400m away from Chelsea Hotel if you want to buy foodstuff for the apartment; but the area itslef has most of the fast food franchises within walking distance such as Pizza hut, Applebees, Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, TGIF, KFC, Starbucks etc.

Our excursions arranged at the Travel Desk at Chelsea Tower for a Desert Safari and Dhow Cruise were good, and pickups were on time.

Overall a wonderfull stay at Chelsea Tower. Its is safe, the FrontDesk staff are professional, the resturant is pleasent, transport is easy, the rooms are clean and you are HAPPY to go to your hotel after a day of shopping/entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family