“Worst hotel ever”

York International Hotel
Ranked #460 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever been to in Dubai. It was not clean as all. I wake up early morning on the sound of water pipes of the floor above. and the customer service is horrible. almost everyone was rude, It was like i'm stealing their money not paying them.
They are lying about the pictures in Booking and Agoda. They have only 2 machines in their so called "fitness center" and they are squeaky and rusty. And everything in the hotel is old. I will never ever go near this hotel ever again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank maxo64

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Cannot fault the hotel staff, or the breakfast buffet, or location but my god this place is noisy! Room on the 3rd floor was too loud, changed to the 7th floor for the rest of my stay but could still hear the heavy thumping music from below. I was blessed with a balcony which is over the busy hustle and bustle of the street but I enjoyed that, the music unfortunately kept me awake every night, even when the clubs kick out the traffic noise increases as taxis fight over fares beeping and shouting which becomes audible.
Staff were lovely, helpful and so polite and eager to please. Breakfast was a great affair, continental and Indian options, baked goods, cereals, water, juice, tea and coffee, space is limited though and sharing a table is required.
Pool on roof is small but it's nice to sit out, high above the busy streets below. Also a gym available and a massage spa but I did not use.
Location of the hotel is excellent. A 10 minute walk to the Dubai creek, abra boats and the souks and 2 minutes to the metro which will take you everywhere from Creek park to the Dubai Marina the airport and the burj Kalifa.
Big tip- take the metro to the hotel and back from the airport. Taxi will cost 50+ dirham but a ticket is 7. Al fahidi station.
Rooms were ok, bed was comfortable and clean, bathrooms were ok too, clean enough if your just nipping In and out.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Vix-Bridgwood
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We've booked the hotel as a secret deal and didn't know which one we'll get until after paying. We've taken a risky decision as prices for anything else were double during the time we went (stayed for New Year and few more days after, 6 nights in total). Once we've found out that the secret hotel is York International I was really worried as the recent reviews weren't too good.
When we get there from the airport in the late evening (really easy as metro station is just few steps away, green line Al Fahidi stop - take 3rd exit out and turn left when leaving the metro station, hotel on your right literally few steps away) we were given a spacious room on the second floor, but few minutes after being inside we've asked for the room higher up as the noise from the ground floor bar was very loud!
There was only one free room left on 4th floor so we took it. The noise was not as loud but unfortunately our room was connected through the internal door to the room next door and we were very unlucky with the neighbours as they were very loud after 2am.
Fortunately we had ear plugs so it was easier to go to sleep.
Room size is ok for 2 people. Quite dated but it was cleaned. Bathroom was ok but in need of proper clean.
Breakfast was great. It was a mix of continental, indian, (curry, roti, eggs, pancakes, toasts, samosas etc., milk & cornflakes, plus sweet treats), so something for everyone and I don't understand why people are complaining about it as there's plenty of food available.
On the roof there's a tiny pool, we've sat there once to chill but we didn't swim in it. plenty of space but limited availability of the sun beds.

Staff was very helpful and we didn't have any problems whatsoever.

Plenty of great little local restaurants around. Go and explore. Especially great food at the Iranian restaurant just around the corner. Delicious fruit shakes opposite the metro station.

Overall it's not too bad as long as you're high up. If you'll be on lower floors you won't have a sleep as the disco is finishing at 3am.
We haven't used the disco neither the bar so can't comment on them.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Hotel has a Good Location and very near to the Metro so very less walking....Also there are lot of shopping places around the Hotel.. All in all its a good pick for business travelers....Good and Helpful front office staff...

Thanks

Room Tip: Please ask for room above 6th Floor as they have a club in the lower floor which runs till late nigh...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank denisnk
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The location for us was perfect, right by a metro so minimal walking in the heat.
The place does have a night club does go each night, and the music is quite loud, so even in the higher levels you can hear some of the bass. it bothered me the first night, but not the others. So just request a room on a high level.
The breakfast was good. There was your standard, type of eggs, toast, cereal, yoghurts, fruit etc. But them also some middle eatern curries daily. Which we loved.
There is also a supermarket across the road which was handy, especially to buy water.
For the price the hotel was good.

Room Tip: A high floor will be much quietetr due to the night clubs inside the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda W
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I got a room on the 1st floor right above a night club, so it was quite noisy. Fortunately, I kept getting tired from going around the city all day, so I was sleeping well regardless. When I was in the mood for a night club, I went downstairs and almost immediately got surrounded by hookers, so I did not stay long. There is a spa/massage place and a swimming pool at the roof level.

The room was rather small, but large enough for one person and definitely worth the price. The breakfast was ok. There is a free shuttle bus going to Jumeira beach and back every day.

The location is excellent, with the new city going in one direction and the old city going in the other. Visiting the old city is a good way to experience culture. Al Fahidi metro station is next door, the metro is modern and convenient.

The hotel is ok for single men or groups of men. It is not recommended for families and couples.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor, so the sounds from a night club are less heard
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maxim G
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I booked the hotel online from Bookings.com after looking at the location of the hotel and the offered price. The location is no doubt very good with metro station next door and good restaurants all around the place.
Well I was to arrive in the hotel Late night 3 A.M. and I informed the hotel 2 days before my arrival and the person concerned said that they will charge half day rent for late night check in and then I can continue with my regular booking. But when I arrived in the hotel, the management declined saying that they had promised half-day rent and after a long argument I had to pay full-day rent.
Next, the rooms are very small compared to other hotels available at the same rental; the toilets are smaller than those in Indian Trains.
We have good breakfast options but for lunch and dinner, we have to compromise on options.
The hotel has a great night club and great bar.. therefore if you are going on a business trip DO NOT MENTION the hotel’s name to any of your partners as it gives a very bad impression as told to me by a friend living in Dubai.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business