“Good value, excellent amenities”
Review of Donatello Hotel

Donatello Hotel
Ranked #232 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 27 March 2014

You get a junior suite (with living room, spacious bathroom and kitchenette) for the price at which most hotels in the area would give you a small room. The furnishings are very good quality, staff was helpful and television had good collection of English channels. Its pretty good location wise. MOE is walking distance, marina and JBR are 10-15 minutes taxi ride. They have 24 hrs room service, wifi was free (a little slow though).
The only problem worth mentioning is the breakfast spread. Its very basic and repetitive.

Room Tip: There are tall buildings on both sides which are pretty boring. Road facing isnt great either but wo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Donatello Hotel

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I was apprehensive when I booked this hotel through a site because I had never heard of such. WELL!!! I can not say enough about this establishment and especially its staff. THE LOCATION IS IDEAL (Al Barsha)!!! You can see the Mall of the Emirates (open until 12 midnight with skiing inside:) from the front door and its a block away. I was crushed when I could not afford to stay at the beach area because I am such a beach goer, but it all worked out for the best because the beach is a (short) ride away from all the attractions I wanted to have at arms reach. This hotel did not sound like much or look like much from the outside BUT when we got to our APARTMENT I was over the moon. It was huge!! Looked like 20ft ceilings throughout, full kitchen (huge- washing machine, too) all mable floors, 2 bathrooms, foyer area, 2 flat screens, 2 showers and 2 bathrooms, stove for cooking, pots, pans, silverware, living room, huge bedroom, updated and stylish, alost floor to ceiling windows, comfortable bed, great lighting fixtures, ironing board, room safe, free internet (24hrs) no need to bring your laptop), roof-top pool w/jacuzzi- heated (and views of landmarks), spa, etc... And ALL this was in the one bedroom apt which is the smallest size apt they have. If you get the 2/3 bedroom you also get a balcony:) The balcony is a nice size with patio furniture. The room was exceptional on face value but I'm big on clean hotels (if there is such a thing) and I checked out corners of all the rooms- no dust, and clearly cleaned, checked out drawers and they were all spotless with no dust, and was on the lookout for any type of pest control problem--NONE NONE NONE!!! Never even saw a spider or ant!!! Not a single hair on the floor of the bathroom, etc. I left a decent tip on the counter of the kitchen cause I was impressed. The pictures of this place do not provide it justice. Every time you walk in and out of the place, they rush to hold the door for you. When I got orange juice in the morning the staff asked if I would mind waiting a minute (it was literally a minute) so they could make it fresh squeezed???? I would have waited 10 minutes for fresh squeezed!!!! How often to ppl pause to make such an effort? Sign me up...every time!!! The Mall of the Emirates has the sister store to the USA's Walmart, thus you can get fresh baked food and keep it in the refrigerator (in your room) and reheat on the stove or microwave. This cuts huge cost on eating out. BUT the best part about staying here was the staff!!! Everyone was quick to get it right and be helpful. I have no idea why some reviews complained about staff not smiling, etc.. The staff I encountered were QUICK to smile and it made me wonder what the heck they were so smiley about? I'm a Jersey Girl so it was a culture shock. But do not get me wrong, Jersey People are awesome-- we just do not go around smiling for the sake of smiling!! Speaking of staff, a special, special thank you to: Richard, Jearim, Mama Fe, Joy, Mahmoud, and Shaddy (this man never sleeps/always at work)!!! These folks went out of their way to make our (was traveling with my 13yr old son) stay very memorable. I just got home today (landed in Dulles and drove all the way back to Jersey) and wanted to get this review in before I get back to everyday real life...busy busy busy!!! Again, this is the place to be. People from around the world were guest here and it's a quiet little nook in a very busy place. I travel the world for a living (20 yrs and counting) and have stayed with some grand establishments but I say this takes the cake due to the staff. Side note: taxi's are cheap and easy to get--not like NYC:), crime is at nearly 0% so I felt safe walking w/ my child at night. The streets in this area have lots of lighting and ppl are always out...kinda like NYC. Folks go about their business and ignore you on the streets I never felt like my personal space (no one ask you for money, cigs, etc.) was being invaded and I trust no one on the streets. --Especially when my child is present. I'm a protective mamma bear type. I have nothing but good things to stay. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants the 5 star treatment without a matching tag:) I hope to return again but I will only stay here if I do!! And, I think they give you a discount with a 3 (or more) nights stay. The staff find you all the tours you want without the high price tag. Desert safari w/camel ride, dune buggy ride, Arab BBQ dinner, belly dancers, etc. was the bomb:) And only $50 US dollars!!!!

Room Tip: All apartments are huge but try to get one facing the Mall of the Emirates. I was facing (rm 303)ne...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank TravelGal103
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I don't normally enjoy writing bad reviews and this is no exception, but Donatello was a bit of a let down from start to finish.

I checked-in and was greeted by a couple of staff members who just seemed unhappy in their jobs - I didn't receive any smiles or attempts to make me feel welcome at their establishment. That was fine, as sometimes people have off days and I was willing to forget my 'welcome party', however, worse was to come. I booked a junior suite, but the room was poor, shoddy and the furniture was old and miserable. I stayed here for 5 nights and made sure I didn't stay too long in the hotel any night during my stay, except for sleeping. One night, I returned with some take away food, but refused to use the cutlery in the kitchen, it was so dirty, so I went back to the fast food outlet to obtain a plastic knife and fork. I couldn't bring myself to using the toaster or the kettle etc as they were likewise very dirty.

My room had no natural light as it overlooked the central indoor café/breakfast area. At night, I could hear the noise of the elevator ringing and in the morning I could hear the noise from the breakfast below.

I think the hotel would benefit from refurbishing the rooms and telling the staff to make more of an effort with guests. The staff aren't bad people - I'm just comparing them to what Ive experienced in other 4-5 star hotels in the UAE over the years. They could up their game I think.

The porter was a nice guy, but I never caught his name.

Location is poor - this area of Barsha isn't the best areas in Dubai - yes its close to Mall of The Emirates, but there are so many better areas in Dubai. Hotel is surrounded by poor supermarkets and massage parlours. Its difficult to pull up in your car in front of the hotel as there is a hire car guy who just parks there all day long and doesn't move should you want to drive out, leaving you to reverse out and onto a busy road.

Not my best experience in a Dubai hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank doscal
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The apartments are within walking distance of Mall of Emirates as well as Sharaf station, which makes it convenient for shopping food and transport. Apartments were clean, spacious and well furnished with comfortable beds. Staff was friendly, but sometimes service was a bit slow. Wifi was also patchy at times. One issue was that one night our sleep was disturbed by people playing cricket in the parking lot outside, in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Donatello Hotel Apartments for 4 nights in February. We arrived at the hotel early (well before check-in time) but the hotel allowed us to leave our luggage at hotel so we could go out and spend the rest of the morning checking out the sights.

We had a 1 bedroom apartment which was very spacious with a full kitchen facilities and bathroom with two basins. Everything was very clean and tidy. The decor was fairly modern. In terms of accommodation prices in Dubai, we thought this was value for money. The only problem we had with the room was after we had a shower-no matter how we tried to stop the water flowing onto the floor, the floor would end up with a large puddle of water (quite hazardous). However, the cleaners did an excellent job of cleaning it up every morning.

The hotel is in a good location. It was a short 5 minute walk to Sharaf DG metro station, and to the Mall of the Emirates. There are a few small convenience stores across the road from the hotel and a hotel-run restaurant next door, but we never tried it.

The hotel staff were quite professional, but they didn't seem to know much about the the attractions when we came to them with questions. There are always taxis driving around outside the hotel if you don't want to take the metro.

I don't think Donatello Hotel Apartments is that well known to the taxi drivers. We found it more helpful to say we were at the Holiday Inn Al-Barsha, so the taxi drivers could drive to the right area at least, as the Holiday Inn is just further up the road from the Donatello hotel apartments.

I would recommend others to stay here, and I would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The apartments are spacious, clean and comfortable, staff is very friendly. The location of the hotel is good: 3 minutes walk to the nearest Metro station and 10 minutes to the Mall of the Emirates. Rooftop Pool area nice and cosy. Complimentary WIFI is very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed 3 days in Jan. Room is very spacious and clean. Metro station is close to hotel and it is easy to go to Mall of Emirates. Also I used complimentary wifi. I was fully satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014