“Amazingggg”

Price range: US$50 - US$150
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Dubai
Description: Downtown Toko Restaurant, Garden & Lounge located at Vida Hotel, is the hub for laid-back get-togethers and friendly gatherings. Now open With a brand-new interior and décor, this cheerful space is just what the Dubai casual dining scene needs. Spirit connoisseurs and foodies alike are invited to come and experience the remarkable birth of the venue, coupled with an incredible new menu for excellent value featuring tasty Chinese and Japanese street food including an exciting variety of dim sums, delicious wok dishes, and a special duck recipe specifically created for the restaurant. Spearheaded by Bulldozer Group Worldwide (the Dining & Entertainment Group behind Novikov, Sass Café, Cipriani Dubai, Movida and VIP room), the space has been designed by renowned Russian interior designer Nograph and will feature the main restaurant, lounge and garden that will evoke that intimate yet trendy feel. The famous outdoor garden, a relaxed, laid back atmosphere with lush greenery, beautiful outdoor chairs and comfy sofas will ooze cool, swanky vibes for the perfect weekend hangout.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

i dined at toko and everything was perfect! Our Waitress Roma i believe her name was, was very attentive and recommended some amazing dishes and cocktails. i asked to be surprised with a non alcoholic fruity cocktail and it was excellent, the flavors worked so well together! i was greeted by reception in a very professional yet friendly relaxed manor. The chocolate fondant is not to be missed, with chef adding a small message on the dessert made the night extra special!

Ghazi A, General Manager at Downtown TOKO, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2014

Dear Abbie V.,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

Feedback is an important part of our business and it is always pleasing to hear we are doing some things right.

Thank you for your continued patronage of Toko Dubai, please feel free to contact me should I be of any service at anytime.

I look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you, and welcoming you back to Toko Dubai.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Being a resident in Dubai and an individual that loves exploring all things new I must admit Toko has been by far one of the best Japanese cuisine restaurants I've tried yet. My recommendations would be the prawn tempura sushi, rock shrimp, beef gyoza, BLACK COD, and boneless chicken with ginger butter. Everything we ordered off the menu was incredible beautiful and perfectly cooked. As for the dessert don't bother looking at the menu, THE BEST thing you must order is the chocolate hazelnut fondant cake, you'll thank me later for this!

2  Thank Khadija A

Dear KhadijaA,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

Feedback is an important part of our business and it is always pleasing to hear we were able to please you.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I liked it, nice food, ambient and crockery.
There are some dishes are truly Japanese and some are more fusion like.
The service was excellent and very patient with my little one. I will recommend it ...definetly.

Dear Taro Tabemasuka San,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

Little ones are always welcome at Toko and we take pleasure in making sure they are looked after too, they are also a key to our success.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have been to a few of the upmarket Japanese restaurants in Dubai so we were keen to put Toko to the test. The venue, quality of food and service were all outstanding however we did have a few comments. The portion size of the smaller dishes could have been bigger given the price of the item, but the size of the main dishes were well worth it. The wine was very expensive (like most places here) with the cheapest bottle coming in at approx. 600aed. My recommendation on the menu would definitely be the japanese desert platter. It was presented on a platter of ice and dry ice which was a nice touch to end the evening. I was disappointed when the bill came in and learnt that all prices were exclusive of tax so we had to apply an additional 10% to all items. We would definitely be back again, but will make smarter choices when ordering so we don't end up with an unreasonable bill for the night.

Dear Bradantha_54 San,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

Feedback is an important part of our business and thank you for referring to us as the "Tokyo in Downtown"

We have have carefully read your feedback, and as a result, immediately reduced our prices overall by 10%.

Additionally, on your next visit, plea contact Marene, our sommelier directly so that she can offer you to chose from our shadow wine list, comprising of wines at reduced cost, I am sure that we will be able to somewhat meet some of your expectations in this regard.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I find myself a little confused as to how I should deliver you a fair review on this new addition the the enormous number of upmarket restaurants in Dubai. Toko is an Australian concept but Japanese cuisine. The food genre/concepts are excellent. The staff, unlike the completely misplaced arrogance that exists amongst so many of Dubai's top labelled restaurants (are you listening La Serre, Atmosphere etc etc), are friendly, lively and attentive. The decor is interesting and you know you are in an upmarket venue.
So why am I confused ? Well at the end of the evening I felt good but not completely enthusiastic. Particularly given that I could not fault the contributions mentioned earlier. I was even lucky enough to meet the chef's behind the evening. Wonderful guys completely consistent with the fun spirit that permeated the evening. So WHY not oozing with excitement and rushing to recommend to all my friends.
On reflection I conclude it was the bill. Yes the entire satisfying experience came at an expensive price. Not only was the wine expensive (but I cannot really fault Toko alone for that. Wine in Dubai restaurants is now getting stupidly expensive) but the 'tasting size' dishes were, in my view, capable of being delivered at a lower 'value mark'.
But I would not put anybody off a visit. Genuinely if you watch your food and drink choices carefully I am sure you will not have to visit your bank manager the day after !!!
And to all the wonderful staff at Toko, thank you for a wonderful evening.

1  Thank David M

Dear David M. San,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor.

Feedback is an important part of our business and thank you for your pragmatic description of our offering and recommending us to other trip advisor readers.

We have carefully read your feedback, and as a result, immediately reduced our prices overall by 10%.

Additionally, on your next visit, please contact Marene, our sommelier directly so that she can offer you to choose from our shadow wine list, comprising of wines at reduced cost, I am sure that we will be able to somewhat meet some of your expectations in this regard.