“Rooms ok; service terrible; great location”

Grand Midwest Hotel Apartments
Ranked #510 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Rooms ok; service terrible; great location”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The nice thing about these apartments is the location. It's a walk away - a few hundred meters from BurJuman station, which incidentally is at the intersection between both red and green lines on the train line (it only crosses at 2 locations). So if you want to access to everything via train, this is the location.

The apartments itself is average. Decor is very old. It's furnished ok - has fridge, stove, washing machine - what you need. However, the bathrooms are not that great. Everything was old and dingy looking. We stayed at a 2 bedroom apartment and they only put one towel per bathroom (2 bed; 2 bath) and had to call to ask for more.

The beds are above average, and sleep was ok.

As for breakfast, I've stayed at quite a few places before and this by far has been the worst breakfast selection I've ever seen anywhere. The 'fresh' fruit looked old - and was brown. The day they had pancakes, I had those. Ate muffins on another day. I generally stuck to eating one item for breakfast. The rest of it was so unappetising. There is no proper coffee - a container with some coffee powder for you to make your own cup - or PAY to use some old machine. Rather have the tea instead of being disappointed. As for the cereal selection - it was a joke. They also charged you 3AED for water - yet across the road at the supermarket it will cost you 1AED. You're better off having a more satisfying breakfast in your apartment by buying stuff at supermarket - your own cereal etc.

Lastly, the service. It was terrible - almost non-existent. I don't think they care much about how they come across. My sister asked for an iron 3 times and it still didn't arrive. Only when housekeeping knocked on the door by chance, he could help.

There were issues with the key not working and it had to be calibrated again, which still didn't work. That aside, if you called for any issue, they would not consider it priority. You have to call and call again.

So the choice is yours if you want to stay here - great location, average rooms but terrible breakfast and service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oman
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have stayed in quite a few budget hotels in Dubai (I haven't bothered to review them all) and I can tell you this hotel is actually really good in comparison! Especially for the price that it is being offered at on booking.com. What makes it great is the area (not dodgy) and the fact that it has a kitchen. There is a lot of traffic though and we found parking difficult to find (although the hotel has free parking in the basement).

I really was pleasantly surprised when I walked into our room as it looked much better than the photos. The bed was comfortable and it had everything we needed.

I did not eat breakfast (nothing looked appealing for the price) but I did order a smoothie and it wasn't very good. There is a convenience store nearby and also quite a few small restaurants. Otherwise hop into a taxi and go to the IBN Battuta Mall nearby (it has everything from Sushi, to Wendy's to Tony Roma's. In my opinion it is one of the best malls in Dubai.

The only problem I had with this hotel was with the check in. The check in took ages (I think it took 10 minutes to scan my ID card) and the receptionist wasn't friendly at all.

I am not sure why some people have reviewed this hotel so badly, it doesn't claim to be 5 star! If you have booked at this hotel and are worried because of the reviews! Don't stress, you will be pleasantly surprised!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having booked this apartment early last year, I saw extremely bad reviews and wondered if I should book them. But the rates seems so attractive that there was no excuse not to as we were staying 7nights for a business trip for exhibition @ World Trade Center. We booked 2 rooms and it was great simply for sleeping purposes.

Location: Location was great, 5mins walking distance to BurJuman Station and another green line station which we did not take.
Rates: Cheap
Rooms/Apartment:
1) Stayed in 1 room apartment and it was big.
2) Comes with fridge, microwave, stove, washing machine and etc like normal apartments.
3) Rooms furniture was old but usable.
4) Reception was helpful and advised us on our needs.
5) Bellboy/Manager was extremely helpful with loads of smiles when we requested for directions and room amenities.
6) Rooms had shabby toilets like in the photos but practically usable.
7) They did not help to wash the dishes after eating -.-" But we couldn't was them as there was no detergent or sponge, so paid AED 10 tips and all got done.
8) There was only 1 towel as room indicated that only 1 is staying so if you need more, please drop some tips I assume all can be arranged.

Breakfast: Please do not attempt. It is simply not worth the money and time, there is a Dome restaurant just beside BurJuman station. The food there is really good!

Overall for business trip and if you just want somewhere to sleep with a big room and do not mind too much about luxury, it is a great place to stay. I've always been staying at 5-6 star hotels but turn to apartments as they are more 'practical' for business trips. Why stay in a luxury room when you only use them for sleeping. Of cos I would not recommend to couples whom want to spend a good holiday/honeymoon. But if you are looking for just a big room, good size bed with your family at cheap rates. Why not?

Cheers everyone. A very honest feedback.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank SteveSGP
Wayanad
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We had a very good stay at Grand Midwest at Burjuman till the day of our check out. On the day of our check out we came back to the hotel by around 1.30 afternoon and our actual check out was at 12 noon. But our agent had requested for a late checkout till 3 PM. After reaching the room I went to the toilet for freshen up and unfortunately left my Golden ring there in the toilet. I still remember clearly that it was kept on the right side of wash basin inside the toilet. We checked out from there and checked in to another hotel nearby and went out for another meeting. When we reached back in the room late night then only I realized that I forgot to take my ring from the hotel room. Immediately I called up the person who made my booking and he contacted the reception desk but got a negative answer from them. I know that it was my mistake not to take care of my personal belongings but still I would have appreciated if the hotel has shown any interest in searching it for me. At the time of check out the housekeeping boy was waiting outside to clean the room. They had a security camera in every corridor and the doors can be opened with Key cards, of which data can be read. But they didn't shown the courtesy to check any of that or even to call me. We stayed there for 3 nights and on the second day when we came back my colleague told me that he doubt that somebody opened his bag and checked, which was in the cupboard. Next day onwards we kept all our bags locked while we went out.
The hotel is good with decent services and food but they got to recheck their staff in Housekeeping as I still strongly believe that they got a serious trouble maker there.

I know I have lost it for ever but please be careful with your belongings when you are there at The GRAND MIDWEST, Burjuman, Dubai. The management will not show any respect towards your complaint.

And I also want to thank Mr. Dilbert who tried his level best to contact the hotel and recover the thing

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My friend and I were worried about this hotel because of the reviews on here. We got there at 9am, unfortunately we couldn't move in till 4pm, after trying to allocate us the wrong room, they ended up putting a single bed in the living room, but that was fine.
The apartment was absolutely fine, spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We had a balcony, which turned out, we couldn't lock at all, they took the key away. Bathroom was a tad dated, tiles etc could do with being replaced or regrouted. Beds were very comfortable. The oven didn't work, or the gas rings, luckily there was one electric ring on the cooker that worked. The plug sockets were actually hanging out of the wall. The fridge freezer and washing machine were new. The kitchen was very nice and spacious.
The wifi advertised was very expensive so we didn't bother. It was £60 a week per item, my friend and I both had iPads, so that would have meant £120. There are cafés and pubs round the corner with free wifi. The television had very few channels, maybe about 10, 3 of them were not Arabic.
The pool area on the roof is quite nice but desperately needs to be upgraded and a lot off attention is needed in the areas in the pool and the border around it, broken tiles sticking up and loose tiles, not advisable for kids or anyone really. The gym was clean and well equipped, no one, staff were ever there though.
The on site 'restaurant', well can't really comment, never tried their food, not appealing at all.
The staff were friendly, a bit iffy when we first got there, nothing really to complain about though. The porters were very nice and always acknowledged us, very approachable. When we first got into our room, word must have spread very quickly that we had tipped the porters, every member of staff, even the manager came in, doing things like making sure our tv was working, must have thought they were on to a good thing. One day though, the maintenance man was in to change bulbs, when we got back a short time later, several packets of cigarettes were missing, no maids had been in, to be honest, the housekeeping did not come in much at all, if they did, all they done was empty bins, that's it.
On reflection, I would stay here again, everything I have written is absolutely true, the things that were less than perfect were far from disastrous

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have good verandas,
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaFife_Scotland
Scotland
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Me and a friend stayed here for six nights in room 307. Our room was spotless when we arrived although the cleaning once we were there consisted of the bed being remade and a quick surface wipe. We had booked a twin room apartment but was given a king size bed apartment but when we complained there were no other available rooms so they put a single bed in the large living room which although was not what we paid for worked out ok. Reception staff were most unhelpful and unfriendly, the bell boys were good though and could not do enough for us. There is a grocery store and chemist across the road which were handy. Taxi,s are outside the hotel but private taxis were not that much more expensive especially if you ask for a price before getting in. The rooftop pool area really needs some attention, it's ok for adults but with loose and sharp broken tiles it is certainly not child friendly !! This was my second visit to Dubai and I will go back again but would choose a different apartment hotel to stay in.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Triciafifife
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We booked an apartment for family of 5 and although checked in around 5pm the apartment still had not extra bed. The bed eventually was abandoned in the room and we had to ask for bed linen 3 times. The bed linen in the master bedroom had to be changed twice as the sheets provided were stained.Only one towel was in the room and when we asked for more towels we were given some old pool towels and told there were no other available.
The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful.
We had a balcony in the apartment but no key, so to use the balcony we had to call housekeeping every time we wanted to open or lock the door. The bathrooms were old and scruffy and we found a cockroach there. The kitchen facilities were very low standards - 1 mug, 2 glasses and 4 plates were initially provided. No washing up liquid or cloth or brush. I could have continued with the list of other things but simply believe me and don't stay here. It was our worst hotel experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family