“Good Hotel near Indian restaurants”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Bur Dubai
Ranked #225 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Nice hotel, very near to Barjuman City Center and Centerpoint. Also, near to Al Karama Metro Station. Hotel has good interiors and beautiful designed rooms. Easy to locate on the main road. Enjoyed 3 nights stay at this hotel. Would recommend for travelers.

Room Tip: Check for Smoking and Non-Smoking rooms/floors
1  Thank Ravish S

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We used this hotel for a recent business conference, and accommodation for about 20 of us. I was very happy with all aspects of this hotel, the conference room was clean, comfortable and a good size, the food was excellent especially the nibbles for the conference and the staff went out of there way to help us, (especially the care taker who lent us his personal tools and the chef who got me custard for a demonstration I needed to do). My own room got upgraded to the captain suite which was amazing, and I like that you get two bottles of water every day. The internet was free and it was much faster then any other hotel I have stayed in. So overall the conference was a success, the attendees were happy and I was happy.

Advice I would give to travellers is make sure you take note of the previous "Dhow Palace" name to avoid confusion as many taxi drivers know it as this.

1  Thank MileLondon
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Staying here now, if you booking make sure you are not at the side of the entrance, there is a nightclub with noise at 3.am when it closes, other then this, nothing to complain good hotel and good friendly staff

2  Thank Vrslider
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is nice, big rooms and comfortable.
There are a couple of minus you should consider btw. Close to the hotel there's a construction site that makes a lot of noise since the early morning so if your scope is sleep till late, ask to the reception to have a room on the road side (with the hope to have less noise).
The wi-fi signal is poor in the room, or just the connection is very slow.
I didn't had a particular feeling with the hotel employee and with the security as well.
Inside the hotel there's a club, so there's a lot of people coming and going.
Mall of the Emirates is very close, but in the area where this hotel is located there's not much too see and if you're planning to have a good dinner outside, you have to take a taxi and go to Dubai Marina as nearest option.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room with view street, in the other site there's a construction site very noisy.
1  Thank Nicola D
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Once i was told by my travel partner - Tranquil Holidays, that i would be booked in Hotel Grand Excelsior - Bur Dubai, i did my own research on it. I found mix review of the hotel, hence decided to go with a blank slate. To my surprise the hotel is an excellent option for vacationing in Dubai. They upgraded my room, without even personally requesting (my agent had put a request while booking the room.)
The room was the biggest room i have ever stayed in, even after having a king bed, an extra bed for kids, a sofa set, a table, it still had plenty of open space to run around. The terrace was also huge with a nice view.
The location of hotel is perfect, you get cabs, bus and train all very close by. Many good restaurants are just a 5 minutes walk, including some good Indian ones. The hotel itself has some 8 different options of restaurants and the Indian option-Aangan has real good food and ambience.
The breakfast spread though a bit repetitive, if you stay for 5 days, is good enough, and you enjoy the same.
The pool is small but nice. The overall ambience of the hotel is superb. My experience of the hotel was very nice. We all enjoyed the stay at the hotel a lot.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PadmakarRao
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I visit an exhibition every year and decided to Stay here which was my first time, since got a special rate inc breakfast taxes and airport transfers from the event organisers.

Airport pick up was straight forward, got to the hotel at 1345 and check in was quick although my card (provided for guarantee) was charged for the full stay even though I Specifically asked to settle with another card or cash.

Now this is where it got exciting...I was told that I had been upgraded to an Admiral room on 7th floor however without privileges of club lounge etc. the bell boy excerpted me up to my room, opened the door with my key card only to find the door chained with a couple inside!! The bell boy then apologised and called down to reception who were too busy to attend to him, so he asked me to wait whiles he went down to sort this out. He came back 10 mins later with a new key for a room on the 6th floor.

Room itself was large with a three piece suite as well as a work desk and a large bathroom. As a hotel catering to both business as well as leisure travellers, there was no dedicated socket at the desk to plug in a laptop, which meant either unplug the desk lamp or the kettle.

Wifi worked quite well and even though I was told the login was valid for a single device, I was able to log onto multiple devices simultaneously with the same login.

Black out curtains were effective and I slept very well in the bed.

Location is not great since it's a good 12 - 15minute walk to either of the metro stations although cabs always available outside. Always use a regular cab and not one of the hotel Lexus metered taxis.

Breakfast spread was very much the usual spread in Dubai, with a mix of continental, Indian and Arabic options as well as a live egg station.

Hotel seemed to do attract a lot of European package holiday customers and the lobby seemed to always be full of a new group checking in or out or waiting to go off on an excursion.

Hotel seemed very busy and therefore service was not attentive and just ok.

Would probably not stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times (albeit previously in 2012 and 2013 in its previous name as Dhow Palace Hotel). This time the hotel was fully booked for my six night stay and frankly I was treated by Reception staff as if I really did not matter to them. This hotel could be very good, but it is let down by VERY poor Reception staff attitudes and lack of effort to uphold any standard of service. At check-in I expected to be greeted as a previous guest but Reception literally grunted and advised me that the hotel was very full and they 'hoped' I was not fussy. When I said that I expected high standards based on the high rate (double what I last paid as the Dhow Palace) there was no response at all. I had asked for a King size bed (or at least a double) in the Superior room (this is a basic room at this hotel) but received a twin overlooking the next building with a view into windows of the next hotel. I had not realised that this view existed as my previous stays has good views! A real problem with this hotel is the failure to deliver on promised service and the chasing up that is required to obtain service. For example I sent a suit for dry cleaning at 8am. I was informed that my suit would be returned the following day. When I reminded Housekeeping that they advertise a return at 6pm for collections prior to 9am I was told that they would manage that after all. At 9pm I called to ask about my suit and was informed it was on the way. At 10pm I called again to be told that my account was not authorised for extra service costs and I would need to pay cash. A discussion with the Duty Manager ensued and it transpired that erroneously despite having my card blocked for Dhms 4000 the Check-in Receptionist had not authorised any services on my room account. This was finally corrected but with no apology and the Manager just said that Reception are very busy! I could give another 5 examples. For balance I should state that the airport meet and greet worked well and the courtesy hotel to airport service was also good. The garage provision used by a colleague was also excellent. I will NOT be staying at tis hotel again and they have lost a regular guest, but I am sure they won't worry at all.... more punters await will be their attitude!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business