“Disappointing”

Dubai International Hotel
Ranked #2 of 305 Speciality Lodging in Dubai
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booking a room was a great way of avoiding jet lag on a long haul flight to Australia. The hotel room was fine but the 'meet and greet' arrangement did not occur and signage at airport is poor if you need to find the hotel on your own - airport staff I asked re directions did not know where the hotel was located - however, if you know where you are going, I assume it does not matter if the 'meet and greet' does not occur as planned. I found the man at reception desk unconcerned about fact it had taken me nearly an hour to find the hotel - after a long flight, this was a precious hour for me - I was tired and I only had 7 hours before my next flight - the chance to sleep was a luxury - his view was that the plane had landed at another gateway - however, when I departed the hotel, a very helpful young staff member helped me with my bag and where to find the correct gateway - it was a lovely gesture and I very much appreciated his helpfulness.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ohauhouse
dcahotel, Manager at Dubai International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at the Dubai International Hotel.

We sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused following a recent stay at Dubai International Hotel. Kindly note that we have requested Dubai Airports to add Hotel signage boards at the arrival level and our request is under review. I would appreciate if you can forward stay details to guestcare@dih-dca.com to investigate & ensure corrective action on meet & greet service.

Kind regards,
Manager - Customer Care

Write a ReviewReviews (6,062)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice in December 2013, 2 December and 15 December.
On 2 December I arrived in Dubai airport at around 0015 local time from Birmingham (BHX).
Upon exiting the plane I was met by the porter from the hotel, who whisked me off to the hotel in around 10/15 minutes.
Check in was very efficient and only took a couple of minutes.The receptionist arranged to give me an early morning wake up call so that I wouldn't miss my flight at 1025 onto Jakarta.
My room was very clean, quiet, perfect for a good sleep between flights.
When flying long haul it is important to rest between flights. I would recommend this hotel to anyone in transit.
It is alittle expensive, but it beats trying to rest in the airport or going through passport control to find a hotel outside of the airport.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AndyHibbins

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Dubai International Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Excellent for transit if you don't wish to go outside.
Hotel inside Airport terminal.
Wifi in the rooms.
Rooms are cleans.
To dinner or lunch, a lot of restaurants around directly in the terminal, but possibility to use the room service.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cthsxm
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had almost 10 hours between flights, arriving in at almost midnight, so it just made sense to have a bed and to try to get some decent sleep before the next flight.

Finding the hotel wasn't all that hard, but we'd been booked in to a different concourse to the one we found. Not a problem - they just gave us a room in the location we had found. Reception staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English. Our travel agent had booked the room, and we were told by the reception staff that they could have arranged to meet us at the arrival gate if they had known our flight - something to bear in mind if we stop here again.

The room was very spacious and comfortable. Apart from the bed (comfortable) and bathroom, we only made use of the complimentary bottles of water, so can't really comment on any of the other facilities.

On checking out, we were told they had a buffet breakfast available on the next level down - despite getting directions, we never did find it, so we ended up eating at a cafe on the concourse.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ActRegular_traveller
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times while transiting on international flights. When things run smoothly, I have been picked up by a hotel representative right when I come off of my plane, and whisked through security and up to the hotel. At other times, I have had to find my own way to the hotel (which can be tricky given the size of this airport). It should be noted that there are three different sections of the hotel, and you should check to see where your flight will land/depart to book the appropriate location closest to your arrival/departure.

Check in can be quick sometimes, and other times can seem to take forever (although after a 15 hour flight, any amount of time seems like an eternity). They will want to photocopy your passport.

The rooms are perfectly acceptable for a quick stay, and very quiet given that you are inside an airport, I have never heard any plane traffic, and I am a light sleeper. The curtains provide excellent light blackout.

The hotel provides fresh fruit and bottled water in the room, as well as a mini fridge, and coffee/tea provisions.

The rooms have always been clean and well kept. Robes and slippers are provided, as well as the basic toiletries. Washrooms are well equipped.

Room service is available 24/7, although I have never tried it, as there are ample food stalls and restaurants in the terminals.

Staff has always been friendly and helpful when asked any questions.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank quinn78

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dubai International Hotel and for your feedback. Thank you very much for your encouraging comments on the services provided by our associates.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay after a 15 hour flight. Quiet room with comfortable furnishings.

Please add FOX NEWS to your cable TV line up. There is a reason its the number one cable news network, people watch it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Among the airport hotels I've stayed in (Schiphol, Incheon, HK, Suvarnabhumi, KL, Detroit McNamara, among others), this qualifies as among the most interesting. With around 400 rooms, situated right at the core of the terminal in between the boarding gates, this hotel is a centerpiece of one showcase infrastructure. It has locations in 3 concourses (A, B, and C) spread across 2 terminals (1 and 3)--don't ask me how they came up with the confusing a,b, c's and 1, 2, 3's--I had the pleasure of staying at the ones in Concourses B and C.

Concourse B (in Terminal 3) is slightly newer, the one with elegant wood panels, and I thought the more interesting compared with Concourse C (in Terminal 1), the one with gold palms. The C rooms, the older ones, are bigger and the hotel has the larger pool. (I didn't get to the A rooms, which I've read have problems with sound proofing). In reality both locations are within 15 minutes' walk of each other--that is if you know where you're going. So, armed with a printed terminals map, a pre-booking (so no surprises in $), comfortable walking shoes and energy to walk (one needs to stretch after sitting all that time in the plane) + my swim trunks and flip flops, I decided to make a "stay" out of a long transit stopover. Think of it as a hotel with a shopping mall downstairs and plenty of food choices. My flight through Dubai was much cheaper than other options that factoring in the expensive stay at Dubai International, I still came out ahead. Getting to the destination, as they say, is part of the travel.

Don't expect 5-star, this is after all an airport hotel. Maybe if you're booked in a suite you'll feel 5-star, but if you're staying in one of the 301 standard "Deluxe" rooms, don't expect a royal experience despite the royal prices. In my experience everything that I needed - a nice bed, good shower, clean stuff - was there. It also had an ironing board, safe, toiletries, kettle, free wi-fi and a good workspace which allowed me to catch up on some writing. The pool and jacuzzi were a nice relief to a very stressful environment, especially since these days airline travel is much like bus travel.

Why is the place most interesting? Well, all the other airport hotels I've stayed in are buildings attached or semi-attached to the terminals. This one is right inside the terminal, and not just in the main terminal but alongside and in-between the boarding gates. It's like a cocoon inside a huge elongated bubble. There's a glass atrium right in the middle so you can see the Duty Free (and the weary masses) below. You see them but you don't hear them. And most people don't look up so they don't know you're watching down on them. It's a feeling of 'us' (the privileged few who managed to find the discreet entrances to this elusive place) and the rest of the world. This was more apparent in the newer wood-paneled Concourse B. It was also nice to be able to stroll leisurely, after taking a hot shower and a fresh change of clothes, without the carry-on bag, enjoy a proper meal, and take in the mass consumerism below (they mostly sell the same stuff). You don't have to fall for it, but who knows, maybe you'll win a Porsche?

This hotel is not a quick in-and-out process. Getting there alone can take like an hour (yes, the airport is huge and the routes to check-in, even when you already see it from across, are a maze in 3 dimensions). Maybe you just want to maximize sleep time, if so you may want to check out the snooze cubes at Gate C22. The airport is not the most efficient in my view, nor is the hotel. So if you're willing to take your time, 'smell the roses' so to speak--although there's only glass and steel as far as I can see, and a ton of workers--it may be worthwhile if only to give a break from the next 14-hour long haul segment. It's a hotel in a mall with lots of dining options... with pools and jacuzzi, and a feeling of 5-star exclusivity.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business