“Style and class for families”
Review of Manzil Downtown

Manzil Downtown
Ranked #24 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Oakville, Canada
“Style and class for families”
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Although this review is rather lengthy, we did our best to capture all the details and hope you find it useful. Bon Voyage!

We stayed at this treasure of a hotel with two small children (3 yrs and 15 mnths) for six blissful nights at the beginning of the New Year. After extensive research on the web, we decided to book on-line through Orbitz. This hotel offered the best value among the pricier hotels and it didn't disappoint in terms of service and amenities. After the confirmed reservation, we did call the hotel directly to arrange for a free pick from the airport and since you can't do this on-line, we also had them note that we had an infant and that no additional bedding was required.

Upon arrival in Dubai we were promptly greeted at the airport by a hotel representative. After a long flight, it was a great relief to have someone there to shuttle you to a nice car. Although we had requested a larger car to fit all our luggage and baby stroller, we managed to somehow fit things into a full-sized Toyota Camry. We knew from the start our service would be special the moment our driver popped open a little cooler with water bottles and little wet towels to refresh ourselves. Not expecting this, it was a pleasant and welcome surprise--talk about service in style! Since we arrived at around 6 AM, traffic was light, and we were able to get to the hotel relatively quickly (I think it took about 20 mins or so). it was beautiful to take in Dubai and the sights at the time of the day while the sun had just risen. Please note, you can pay for a hotel arranged service to the airport, but in our case, they showed up about 30 mins late. This caused quiet a bit of tension for us and the hotel staff who kept on apologizing for a mistake that was obviously not theirs. Once the driver finally showed up claiming to have gotten stuck in traffic (at 12.30 am???!!!) he acted all coy and didn't have the nerve to apologize--for the price you pay, and the car you get, it wasn't worth it. We would suggest you just grab a taxi from the lobby or if you need a larger taxi van, ask the bell boys to arrange one. The cost for pre-arranged was something like 100 AED vs. most likely 60-80 AED via local taxi.

Once we pulled up to the front of hotel, we were quickly shepherded in to the hotel lobby by very pleasant door men and front staff. We must compliment them all, as they were consistently pleasant and extremely helpful with the kids the entire time we stayed there. Same goes for the concierge and business center staff. From the moment we walked through the revolving doors into the lavish lobby we knew we had stumbled upon a hidden gem! The front desk receptionist (Farida) was very friendly and although our rooms were not ready so early (we also requested this months in advance), she was very professional and made every effort to ensure she expedited a room for us. Although closed until 9 or 10 am, we took the few hours to sit in the beautiful courtyard and even took a walk across the street to check out the fountain lake and Dubai mall. It was simply gorgeous and an easy and quick walk with a double stroller.

We ended up with a Jr suite (high recommend this for any family with small children) with the Burj view. It was very well appointed with all the amenities and taking in the view of the Burj day and night was simply breath taking. It was a bonus to have 2 bottles of complimentary water each day in our room and the turn down service at night in which they left little chocolate covered dates on our pillows. The large Queen bed, pillows and covers were also very comfortable. And even though they offered to bring a cot in for the infant, we highly doubt we would have had enough room to squeeze around. Besides, we were hardly in the room! Like other similar safety minded parents, we had reservations on the bath-tub being situated where it was in the room. However, this never seemed to be an issue with our little ones. The shower and toilet area never bothered us and we thought it was rather hip.

We were very lucky to be there during the opening ceremonies of the Burj Khalifa (formerly known as Burj Dubai), the fireworks and extravagance were definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity! We were also lucky enough to take a tour of the observation deck of the Burj that had some stunning views. Note: tix can be purchased in the Dubai Mall ground floor by the food court. As other reviewers have mentioned the close proximity of the Dubai mall (wow! and lots you can do with kids) and the fountains (absolutely gorgeous and entertaining for all) was really wonderful.

We got to use the temperature regulated pool daily, and yes the beds are limited but never once did we not have someplace (even a table) to put our stuff on while we swam. In fact a couple of times we had other hotel guests offer their beds for the kids to use--how nice! The hotel gym was new but rather small and did have a variety of free weights and stationary weight equipment. My preference was to use the Hayat gym across the way. This gym had all the equipment and even had an adult and kids pool. One downside was that you need to get passes on a daily basis from the front desk..no big deal! One other thing on the Hayat for parents...they actually had a daycare service on site...we didn't use it so can't remember what the costs or hours were.

The surrounding area of the Al-Manzil was extremely well maintained with beautiful old arabesque type architecture. They had various water fountains all around the area making the place seem very tranquil. There was also a Spinney's grocery store which we happened to stumble upon on the 2nd or third day that had just about everything you need. Great for parents like us with little ones when you need to grab some milk or quick snacks, fruits and veggies. From the hotels location it was a short trip to various places via taxi (and relatively inexpensive) and we even ventured one day on the free bus service to Jumerieh beach park (After you pay a small entrance fee, parents take note that if you take a stroller it will be challenging as there weren't any special ramps anywhere that we noticed. They did have change room facilities and for a small fee beach umbrellas, sun beds or lounge chairs can be rented).

We cannot comment on the hotel breakfast and such, but based on other reviews it sounds wonderful. We however never had issues getting some wonderful and tasty food (not all of it was fast "junk" food either) at nearby Dubai mall. There are some great restaurants in the mall too for those that can afford the time and relatively pricey option.

Overall this hotel is an excellent value for what you get. We would highly recommend it to all--especially parents, and when we visit Dubai in the near future we hope to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Samir A, Samir Arora, Executive Assistant Manager at Manzil Downtown, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
Dear Guest

First of all many thanks for providing us with such a detailed view and feedback on our product and services.

I read that you and your family had thoroughly enjoyed your break at our hotel. Especially our team went out of their way to surprise and delight you.

I have taken note of unfortunate experience you had whilst waiting at the airport and transiting to the hotel. I assure you of our corrective action at the earliest.

I would also commend Farida for her services provided to you upon check in.

Our sincere thanks for recommending our hotel to all your friends and especially to your parents.

I look forward to welcome you and your family back to Al Manzil Hotel when next in Dubai.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Stayed here while waiting for my flat to be ready close by, this is a great hotel, central location, right between the marina and the old Dubai, dubai mall is 10 minutes walking distance, souk al bahar is 5 minutes walking and this hotel has the best courtyard anywhere in dubai that is great for any weather, food is great and service is impeccable, rooms are really unique but a bit on the small side if you can only afford a double room although very clean and enough for 2 people, if you want the beach then hop on a cab and you'll be there in 10-15 minutes, all in all compared to many hotels in dubai this is by far the best value for money and is well worth it, take it from a dubai resident if you would rather keep your hard earned cash then stay here and you can always visit the super luxurious hotels and have dinner there

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank WendyDub
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I read that whilst waiting for your flat, you experienced our hotel and services and you were impressed with it. I have also taken note of your comment on size of our rooms.

As mentioned by you being a resident of Dubai, your comments on our services is most valuable. As you experience various products and services in City and are able to compare and found value for money in our services and product.

I look forward to welcome you back at Al Manzil Hotel and meet you in person when next visiting our hotel.

Assuring you of our very best attention at all times.

kent
Reviewed 21 January 2010

stayed here fo 5 nights the hotel is quiet, we saw no children the time we were there. half a dozen people round the pool so perfect for a relaxing break. The staff were so helpful so much so they let us use their limo with driver to go shopping a couple of times. The restaurants are also very good as is the bar. We spent many a night in the courtyard with a shisha relaxing. The old town is in fact new!!! great Souks and a lovely fish restaurant facing the water, would reccommend the lobster thermidor. If you want peace and quiet go to the Al Manzil i just hope it doesnt get to popular, so I can escape back there...

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah72Kent
Dear Sarah

Many thanks for providing us with your valuable feedback.

I am delighted to hear that we met your expectations and provided you with satisfactory services.

Our food and beverage team is particularly thankful for recommending their outlets as you found their services and ambience most relaxing.

I also thank you for recommending our hotel and look forward to welcome you back at Al Manzil Hotel as and when you next visit Dubai.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I was very positively impressed with Al Manzil. My expectations were high given the very good reviews written before, but I must say they are all very fair. The hotel is at an excellent location, walking distance to one of the best malls in town and all to the newly opened Burj Dubai, the tallest building on earth. From this Dubai Mall you have all possible organized tours and city trips departing.
Other very positive factor for me to mention was that I was given a room just before 9:00 am, when the check in was for 2:00pm My flight landed at 6 in the morning, so it was very convenient. The cost of that was that I needed to accept a smoking room in lieu of a non smoking, but it was fairly good freshened so less inconvenient than it could be. The room itself is excellent, clean, nice and large bathroom, very confy bed...
The air conditioning is somewhat loud, though.
The only negative point I would have to the hotel was that I booked a room through Booking.com with pool or Burj view, but I was given a room with view to neither of those. I never complained because I was truly happy to be checked in earlier, but on check-out the receptionist said I should have requested the room upon checkin.
This I can't understand, that they offer a specific type of room on a website to book, but you need to be specific again on check in. I wonder now if I paid extra for this room with view (and I did) and was given a standard room that wouzld have cost less.
But all in all I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank thomazdl
Dear Guest

Many thanks for providing us with your most valuable feedback on Trip Advisor.

I read that overall you were impressed with our hotel and its services.

I have taken note your comment of non availability of pool or Burj view rooms. I assure you that we will definitely look into the issue and revert with our feedback.

In the meantime I look forward to welcome you back at Al Manzil Hotel as and when you next visit Dubai.

england
Reviewed 19 January 2010

i have stayed there before and thought some of the reviews were very generous. but its a good location so i couldnt complain. I had booked a rate previously but once i got there the price was put up. Also i requested a smoking room and was put in a non smoking room. when i asked to be moved the receptionist was rude and said we are full. dissapointed to be honest.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank metalseller
London
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We arrived very early in the morning and were given a pot of coffee and comfortable seats until our room was ready. The room was excellent - modern and clean with a lovely big bed, comfy bedding and fluffy towels. The courtyard was beautiful and romantic at night. Perfect for a meal and a few drinks. Wine cost £10 a glass and beer £7.00 but the meal at around £20 a head was worth every penny. Staff were attentive and very efficient. Business Lounge provided free internet access, bowl of fruit and coffee 'on tap'. Pleasant walk to the Burj Dubai (fantastic views from the top), fountains (terrific) and the Dubai Mall (take plenty of money - not cheap).We couldn't have wished for a better hotel. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or to book again on our next visit.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janice47
Ohio
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed at the Al Manzil hotel for 5 days just after staying for 9 days at The Address Downtown Burj Dubai; a 5 Star hotel.

I must say that the Al Manzil was overall better in every way. The room was superb and clean. Service was quick to respond for any request. It was quiet, somber and calm. A very nice hotel to relax and unwind.

I would seriously suggest saving your money on the more expensive hotels that will ultimately not meet up to their promises and stay at the Al Manzil. This hotel will exceed your expectations and you can use the saved money on vacation extras.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo