“Fantastic must stay hotel in Dubai”
Review of Desert Palm Dubai

Desert Palm Dubai
Ranked #213 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Travelled with my husband for a 4 night break. We didn't want the huge Vegas type hotels and found this one on Mr and Mrs Smith. We were upgraded to a private villa with pool and the room was one of the best I have ever stayed in. All mod cons, amazing bathrooms and bed. The breakfast and dinner were exceptional experiences, services and food were amazing, the spa was also out of this world. The location is 10 mins or so in a cab to the main area of Dubai which for us was a bonus. Have afternoon tea watching the polo here!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NMSheffield
James R, General Manager at Desert Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2014

Dear NMSheffield,

Thank you for choosing to spend 4 nights with us and for your wonderful review.

We look forward to welcoming you back now that polo season is almost underway and the cooler Dubai months are upon us.

Thank you once again and kind regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel has a great reputation and I was genuinely excited about staying here - unfortunately the experience and the hotel did not live up to its reputation.

The valet staff at arrival were surly and the reception staff weren't overly excited to see me. Although the on-duty manager did come to say hello due to my gha status - I am a platinum member.

The hotel was not full and upon arrival didn't appear to be fully operational. There were ladders in reception with a team of people fixing something in the ceiling - this was also the case on the first floor. I was shown to a terrible room overlooking the bar in the main building - indeed this room was billed a having a polo field view, but in actuality I was looking at the columns holding up the roof, the tressel-type wood work above the bar and through two sets of windows.

The second room that I was shown to - polo suite - did have a much better view over the polo field - but it was still lacking some of the finer touches that you'd expect from a hotel of the supposed calibre. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable - and was two single beds put together - with a definite sag towards the middle. All of the amenities were lacking any level of quality.

I don't know if there was something wrong with this hotel when we stayed. It was incredibly expensive - but felt like a hotel on its last legs. There were few people around. There was no atmosphere, the staff appeared disinterested, there was work being carried out around us and everything felt like it was being offered but with minimal expense. Really strange - and so not what we expected.

Room Tip: Really chose your room carefully - as it can make or break your holiday. The rooms in the main buil...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brit-abroad-in-Asia
borneojim, General Manager at Desert Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Brit-abroad-in-Asia,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Desert Palm and I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your experience.

Your original booking was for our entry level room and as per your GHA Platinum status we upgraded your room to our 75sqm Palm Suite with free standing bathtub and views across the main championship polo field. I understand that you did not like the Arabian styled screening on the far side of the terrace that does slightly impede the view, but it protects these suites from the Arabian sunset. These are one of our most popular room categories as we have many guests that prefer to be in the main building of the retreat and love the effect of that the screens provide. It gives them that feeling of being in Arabia.

My apologies for the ladders against the elevator in the lobby and on the first floor. The last pieces of glass were being lifted into place for our new elevator which we had tried to complete over July. We had closed all of our rooms in the main building, but the last few pieces took a little longer.

Based on your feedback my team immediately offered to upgrade you to the only Polo Suite we had available so that you could have a private terrace and unimpeded view.

Thank you for the comment on the bed in this suite. The bed is a professional king size that can be split into a twin if required through a high quality zip system. I have reviewed the bed again and based on your feedback on your departure, we have increased the depth of the mattress protector so that it will improve the bed's comfort. We do receive very positive feedback on our beds and we have sold a our beds to guests in the past who have found them remarkably comfortable.

Unfortunately, The hotel would have seemed very quiet during your 15 hour stay as it was a Sunday which is the first day back at work for the Middle East, so I understand why you would think the hotel was on it's last legs. Plus it is summer and with temperatures being in the late 40s not many of our guests venture out of their private villas; preferring to relax in their chilled swimming pools.

Your stay was very short and my team would have had little time to get to know you which is a shame, as they love to take care of our guests and learn the little nuances that make a guest's stay special. We did give you a call at 8pm to see if there was anything you needed and it seemed that you were happy at that stage.

I have shared the rest of your feedback with my team. They were expecting you and of course they are as disappointed as me that we did not manage to meet your expectations. However, we do hope you choose to stay with us again so that you can truly experience Desert Palm's amazing hospitality.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me when you do decide to return so that I can personally make sure you have a most memorable stay.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Although we have been regulars at Desert Palm for Polo and dinner, this was the first time we had stayed there and we weren't disappointed. The staff were wonderful, the welcome was warm and to make our short stay even more special, we were upgraded to a Polo Suite, which was fabulous. We both spent one morning in the Spa, which was a very special experiance. My husband went for the men's LIME Ritual, following which he declared his therapist, Elank, a miracle worker and is already planning his next visit. I spent four hours beiing pampered with a facial, and luxury LIME pedicure and manicure. Bliss! Breakfast at Epicure was excellent, very wide choice and well cooked and presented. We had dinner both evenings at Rare, which we experienced a number of times and which deserves its own review, which we have provided. The fact that this very special place is only half an hour from home is a bonus!

Room Tip: Polo Suites have fabulous views and will be extra special during the playing season.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dilys G,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I was happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience of the retreat and our LIME spa services.

I have shared your wonderful review with the team and Elank is very pleased that you enjoyed his treatment.

We look forward to welcoming you back and if I can assist in anyway with a future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Still today, couple of days after my stay at this magnificent hotel, I cannot believe that the property is actually located near Dubai. All the greenery and huge polo fields within the property gives you the feeling that you are far way from the hustle and bustle of the city. We had a magnificent tour around the retreat, ask the Front Office for one, if they will have time I believe they will assist you with one.
Really amazing!!!

Room Tip: If you have the possibility book one of the Polo Suites, the view on the polo field is really amazin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear One_2_Big,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for your generous review.

I agree that it is nice to be secluded and yet close enough to Dubai to allow you to enjoy what the city has to offer without a long car journey.

We look forward to welcoming you back when the weather is cooler so that you can experience the Polo being played at the property.

Thank you once again and if I can be of any assistance with a future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Dubai rather then catch a flight. On recommendation from a friend we booked the desert palm, which turned out to be an excellent choice. The check in was quick, efficient and we were upgraded.

The room was excellent, spacious, well planned, with good tele, Bose sound system and a view of the polo playing field to boot. Also, a cake was left in our room on arrival, this was a nice touch.

The staff were faultless, the polo grounds, amazing, restaurants were a little expensive, but first class food.

There is some traffic noise, but you soon get used to it, it is a city hotel.

It is a perfect getaway from the city and only 30 minutes from the marina area.

Room Tip: Room with polo field view, nice to see some green landscape
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tailorsonsafari,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Desert Palm Retreat by Per AQUUM and for your generous review.

The team were very pleased that they were able to look after you so well and exceeded your expectations.

Depending on the wind direction some traffic noise will travel across the expanse of green, despite the rows of trees we have planted and I see that it did unfortunately dampen your overall experience.

We look forward to you staying with us once again and if I can be of any assistance with a future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This review is a little late as I have just got round to doing it so apologies as this holiday was absolutely fantastic. We stayed here as I didnt want to be in the centre of town, it is about a 20 minute car drive away from the centre, which you can see on the horizon from the resort, the hotel provide a shuttle service too. It is idyllic, peaceful, luxurious and everything you could wish for. It is the first time I have been away from home for Christmas so was a little anxious but I shouldnt have been as it was perfect in every way and we cant wait to return. We arrived early in the morning and the staff couldnt have been more accommodating, thank you Wissam Badar for your thoughtfulness. Breakfast every morning is cooked fresh and there is an excellent choice with a fresh fruit juice each day. The staff are fabulous and attentive. We were lucky enough to watch several polo matches and to be able to walk or bike ride around the resort. The spa was excellent, we had a fantastic massage there. We had Christmas brunch which had food from all countries and was an excellent event.

Room Tip: We had a suite overlooking the polo field which was luxurious with beautiful view. My mum and son ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
borneojim, General Manager at Desert Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Jodie R,

Thank you for your great review of Desert Palm.

I am happy to read that you had such an amazing Christmas with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the future.

If we can be of any assistance with your future bookings please do not hesitate to contact myself or our reservations team.

Thank you once again and kind regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had an amazing five days at this hotel staying in a polo suite. The suite was beautiful with everything you need and more. Very relaxing environment and the restaurants inside the hotel are superb. The staff are very very helpful. Would go back tomorrow! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
borneojim, General Manager at Desert Palm Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Lisa N,

Thank you for your rave review.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in our Polo Suite and that you had everything at hand that you needed.

We always want to ensure that our guests are well taken care and the team seem to have delivered the level of service we strive for.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.