“Great place”
Review of Royal Ascot Hotel

Royal Ascot Hotel
Ranked #54 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We thought the hotel was great. Everybody did there best to make us happy. There are only two floors that are nonsmoking. If you want these rooms they are on the 6th and 7th floors so make sure you ask for them. It is located in the old part of Dubai but you can walk to the subway and the Souks very easily. You can eat where the locals eat and really get the feel of Dubai as you walk around this part of the city. The roof top pool was perfect as we're the restaurants. We would recommend this hotel .

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel. Very neat and it's a beautiful hotel. But I gave it 4 stars because the Wi-Fi wasn't free. They charged us 20 dirham per hour. Very disappointment. The breakfast was pretty good. And we had lunch one time at that hotel which wasn't bad with reasonable prices. The pool is Amazing.. it's a rooftop pool. Pretty cool and clean. Overall I liked it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I spent five nights at the hotel (March 19-23, 2014). The hotel was clean, the rooms were comfortable, and the staff members were very accommodating. The pool and the spa on the top floor were barely used, but the location offered a lovely view of the city.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor, which is non-smoking, and was far away from the disco on the top floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank midlerbb
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Very clean. Good reception. Good service. Good breakfast for Indians and others. Lot of options for vegetarians as well. The bed neat and cozy. The room carpet was clean. I called for some technical service and they attended within minutes.

Room Tip: Please ask for rooms 3rd floor upwards to be free from sound.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Was on a tour of Dubai and the tour company had chosen to house us at the Royal Ascot. As far as location, it was fine. Was within walking distance of the Mina Bazaar and the metro station, so that is a definite plus. If we had explored a little bit further, we would have found we could have easily taken a boat from our side of the river to the spice market and keep exploring from there. It was only about a four block walk.

The poor staff here was completely overwhelmed at breakfast for the amount of people they had coming in. They were always out of water glasses and half the time the plates were missing also. Considering there were two tour groups staying there and their schedules were pretty much the same, you would have thought with a little bit of planning the resultant rush could have been handled a little more smoothly as everybody is going to be hitting the breakfast buffet at pretty much the same time.

I was originally booked on the seventh floor and I finally asked to be moved because of the noise factor. There is a rooftop bar/restaurant with a DJ and a pumped up sound system. They get cranking say about eight o'clock and don't quit until around three in the morning. You can hear every boom and every thud....not conducive to sleeping. The food was actually quite decent, but we bolted ours down as it was so loud you could not hear yourself think. From the composition of the clientele on the rooftop, the Ascot is definitely catering to the locals and not to the tourists and so I doubt very much if the noise levels or music is going to change any time soon. It really is a nice spot, but I would stick to lunch where the music isn't as horrific.. Nice pool also.

The most troubling thing for me was the tour was at the Royal Ascot for five nights. I had left a tip each day for the housekeeper who was responsible for tidying up the rooms. Know that tip was received as started getting really fancy towel creatures on my bed - really delightful works of art.
The last night the tour was staying at the Royal Ascot, I got a phone call from a gentleman who said he was the housekeeping manager and he would be coming by for his tip. Said I have no idea who you are, but I've been tipping all along and I have no intention of giving you anything. He said he would come up - said fine, you do whatever you wish but I am not giving you a dime. He did not show up. My brother was also on this tour, so went up to his room for a bit to chat and he got a phone call from the same gentleman stating he would come up for his tip. My brother had also been tipping all along and had received the most delightful note from the housekeeper....this "housekeeping manager" did show up and my brother told him face-to-face he would get nothing. This guy left. About 11:15 at night when I was sound asleep the phone rings in my room and it's the "housekeeping manager" again asking if I needed water. I knew this was the same guy who had tried to get/extort money from me earlier and also my brother as his English was very broken and just from the way he talked and the tenor of his voice. I asked his name a couple times and he never did give it to me - I kept demanding his name and he finally hung up. I reported the matter to the desk personnel the next day and I got absolutely no reaction at all. No apology, no we'll look into it. Makes me wonder if this is an ongoing scam and who's got a finger in the potential pie. I know of at least four people on the tour who were approached like this - two ladies had four phone calls that last night - and I'm sure there's probably more. Can't help but wonder how many people he did manage into bullying into giving him some money - and also am pretty sure the housekeeper who had done the work would have seen not one red cent from him.
Am going to email the property manager and see if I get any response at all. I was so angry after that 11:15 p.m. phone call, took a while to fall back asleep.
This behavior should NOT be tolerated at any hotel and I hope it stops. In my book, this pretty much borders on would-be extortion.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the eighth floor as you can and I would recommend a room to the side. Even whe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank barefooting
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Royal Ascot and were quite pleased with our accommodations. The hotel is walking distance to the Metro and a short walk to the water taxis. While not the most modern (the hotel is located in the older section of Dubai), our accommodations were quite comfortable...large double rooms, comfortable beds (not too soft...just right) and a good amount of closet space. Our room was located on the fifth floor, across from the elevators and we were not bothered by the noise one might expect due to our location.

The staff was most accommodating and responsive to our needs and requests. There are several restaurants located in the hotel and the food at all of them was more than adequate. I would highly recommend the Royal Ascot.

Room Tip: It's probably a good idea to not have a room higher than the 6th floor. There is club/restaura...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Madicasper
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had booked Royal Ascot for our stay in Dubai For 4 nights during 14 th of March 2014 to 18 th of March 2014 . We had requested for a room on a non smoking floor and away from the noise .
As requested we got a room on the non smoking floor ( 6 th and 7 th floor are non smoking floors.)
Our disappointment began as soon as we entered the hotel ,as there was nobody at the entrance we had to carry our own lauguage inside the hotel . The check-in was relatively smoother and we were given early check-in . But when we entered our room we saw the table top in our room was not cleaned ..the carpet in the room was worn out .Though the room was clean there was lack of crispness and newness to it. .Also the room was on the back side of the hotel . We could see only the low class residences from the windows .. As one goes to Dubai , there some sort of expectation in terms of the classy feel n the grandeur of the City . The location of this hotel does not fulfil that at all ..
After we complained about this , they offered us an upgrading to the suite room on the 7 th floor . Again here the bed room was very small for a family of 3 . Except there was a living room with Kitchenette attached to it , but it was non functional. The sofa covers in this room were totally old n faded. Till we shifted to that room we were constantly bombarded with the phone calls from the reception to shift fast .
Now the house keeping part . The requests for extra bath towel would take at least half an hour and room would not be cleaned even if we place a request card on the door or orally instruct the floor staff and leave for a day .. Is this a kind of service we get after paying so much ?
The breakfast was tasteless in terms of basic Indian veg food ..We had to make with whatever was offered by the Hotel . The staff was serving generally ,without a warm smile or politeness either , forget about catering to the individual needs of the guests .At times they would get overwhelmed if there would be a rush of people for food .
Overall our experience of this hotel was totally disappointing .. I will definately would go for better options like Oberoi or Four Points Shereton by spending the same amount or little more
than that . One can also think of an accomodation in a service apartment .
The only plus point of this property is its proximity to Indian Veg Food joints like Puranmalka , Rangoli , Mini Punjab and Kamat ,which are all located in and around Meena Bazaar . But one can get a lot of veg food options in Dubai , be it in Malls or other popular tourist spots .
So total thumb down for Royal Ascot ..

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family