“A splendid Hotel”
Review of Raffles Dubai

Raffles Dubai
Ranked #2 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I had a great time at the Raffles, Dubai. The staff were very friendly, most helpful and outstanding in comportyment and efficiency.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor so noise from highmay did not affect us.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RafflesDubai, General Manager at Raffles Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We were pleased to read that you found the hotel splendid and that the staff were friendly and helpful.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Whether for Business or for Leisure this hotel can offer everything. The rooms are very big and spacious further very confortable. The staff are very friendly and knowledgable.
The SPA, Gym and the pool are really very nice.
The breakfast was very delicious as well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We were pleased to read that you found the rooms comfortable and that the staff were friendly.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

A wow building, plenty of marble and luxurious finish but looking into detail one can see that the still quite new property is already showing solid signs of aging. Quite some maintenance requirements are visible.

We attended a conference and the meeting rooms wooden ceiling was partly hanging down. Beverage trays on the table are very worn out, so are the leather jotters. The coffee break was very basic but that might of course be the conference organizers budget influencing it.

The Spa treatment room was too chilly, just good the therapist keeps you well covered. The treatment was a nice experience although the one or other comfort shortfalls.

Service in the lobby cafe didn't appear until we went to get them, the moment we were served we were forgotten as the staff was busy chatting behind their service station. After waiting for a while we again went to get them. The staff of course apologized but why to do so if you at first couldn't even be bothered to even pass by and check?

The lunch buffet was quite nice, good choice only the desert part seemed cheap sweet only.

Valet parking did a good job though.

Would I go back? Yes, would I do so at the price the hotel charges? Unlikely.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank RolandUO

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I was embarrassed to read some of your feedback and firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconveniences that you faced.

Thank you for sharing your comments about the staff in Raffles Salon – this is unacceptable and all those involved have been spoken to and improvements made, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Regarding the ceiling we have checked all our meeting rooms and have been unable to see where there are any areas hanging down. Perhaps could you contact me on the e-mail address below and let me know which room you occupied so we can investigate further. In response to the leather blotters we have placed an order for some new ones which will be delivered in the next couple of weeks, my apologies that they were not here during your meeting.

On a final note it is the job of every hotelier to ensure that their hotel remains look fresh and new at all times. We are constantly upgrading our furniture and fixings to make sure that we remain inline with our competitors. I am disappointed that you did not find this the case.

We do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back on another occasion.

generalmanager.dubai@raffles.com

Reviewed 23 April 2012

From the huge Egypt inspired lobby to the wonderfully plush rooms, this hotel has all the hallmark of being a great place to stay. And yet it's location in Wafi was a bit of a disappointment. Though it's only about 25 mins from city centre in theory, horrible traffic on Dubai roads means its a lot longer. Plus the adjacent Wafi mall is a dead place even during weekends. But when it comes to service and food, they do an excellent job.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Raffles Dubai is located in healthcare city next to Wafi Mall, both of which are only 10 minutes away from the airport and 15 minutes from some of the attractions. The new metro line is now open and taxis are easily accessible which means it is easy to travel to and explore other areas of Dubai. I apologise that this was not convenient for you this trip and that it marred slightly your stay – certainly not the experience we wish our residents to have.

That said we were pleased to read that you found the service and food excellent.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We arrived at 7 am after 21 hours travelling from NZ through Sydney to Dubai. We hadn't requested an early check in but the reception desk rose to the occasion and offered us a comfortable area to rest and a welcome drink. 90 minutes later we were in our room in one of the best hotel beds I have experienced. I could not fault the room and the service from every Raffles employee was perfect during our visit. The concierge desk was manned by highly skilled service professionals. On checkout day (we were joining a luxury cruise ship in Dubai) we were reluctant to leave and only hoped the ship could live up to the high standard of the hotel. We agreed that we would always choose Raffles first if possible after this experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
RafflesDubai, General Manager at Raffles Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to note that we were able to accommodate your early arrival at the hotel and that you found the rooms and especially beds comfortable. Furthermore, we were pleased to read that you would always choose Raffles Dubai when travelling to this area.

Thanking you again, we look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Dubai.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at the Raffles as part of a weekend getaway in February with members of my extended family. This was our first stay at a Raffles property and we were looking very forward to this trip after hearing a lot about this hotel and the storied background of the hotel chain.

LOCATION: The Raffles forms part of the Wafi City complex in the Al Hurair/Oud Metha districts. It is next to the massive Grand Hyatt hotel complex off Dubai Creek, within fifteen minutes of Dubai International Airport and downtown Dubai along Sheikh Zayed Road. Its location is convenient for guests who need proximity to the airport and downtown since it's roughly equidistant between the two. There is a mall that forms part of the Wafi City complex, but it is relatively dead compared to the intense foot traffic Dubai's other mega-malls see.

ENTRANCE/LOBBY: The Raffles is designed as a massive pyramid and is resplendent in ancient Egyptian motifs. Carved obelisks everywhere, beige sandstone, black marble and gold detailing make for a very refined and luxurious first impression; I expected to be a bit gaudy in typical Dubai fashion, but the design is sophisticated without being obnoxious. The lobby is large and airy, with water features, plenty of seating and a large reception area.

ROOMS: We initially booked a king room but requested an extra bed over the phone before we flew in to Dubai, which the hotel confirmed. When we arrived, however, we found out that our room wasn't ready despite our previous arrangements and no extra bed was allocated. We waited in the lobby for the better part of an hour, which was very inconvenient given one member of my family is advanced in age and needed rest and medication. After multiple visits to the reception, a demand to see the manager and many apologies later, we were given a room on the Raffles Club floor but interestingly, without access to the Raffles Club. We expected the management to at least make up for this but at this point, we brushed our inconveniences with the way we were dealt with aside and just wanted to settle in. An extra bed was finally sent to our room half an hour later.

That being said, the room was huge - the size of some apartments in Europe. They have walk-in closets, separate sleeping and living areas with a large furnished balcony and a very spacious bathroom with a double vanity, corner bathtub [with windows opening onto the room], a separate rain shower and a toilet and bidet housed in a dedicated alcove. The room was nicely maintained, luxurious and well laid-out without being fussy and allowed us to relax and unwind after our mishap with the front desk. The hotel's three-sided pyramid shape offers views over the downtown Dubai skyline, Wafi City or the Creek; our room overlooked Wafi and the gardens above the mall. Very calm and quiet and sufficiently away from the noise of traffic.

FOOD/BEVERAGE: We ordered room service twice during our stay and found the selection to be very good for the hotel's class, but were slightly irritated when some of the options we asked for were said to be unavailable at the time. That aside, the food we did order was made to a very high standard and delivered within a forty-five minute window. Granted, many five-star hotels in this day and age strive for delivery in under half an hour, something I hope the Raffles will be able to do.

LEISURE: The hotel has a Raffles-branded Amrita Spa with separate facilities for men and women [jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, showers and changing areas], a mixed gym and an outdoor pool deck with adjacent jacuzzi. The outdoor pool was beautiful, with the pool being of a large size and good depth, but the water was slightly too cold for my liking. The pool deck was well-staffed, has a sufficient number of deck chairs and loungers; I never saw more than six people there at a time. I was frequently offered complimentary ice tea; an awesome plus. One more gripe I had, though [and this is beyond the hotel's control], is the sound of traffic; the pool deck is built parallel to the highway, so all you hear is the sound of cars zooming by. The men's section of the spa, however, was very tranquil, clean and top-notch.

FACILITIES: As mentioned earlier, the hotel is connected to a mall that sees a negligible amount of people during the day and night. It makes for a good walk to explore the area, but the selection of shops and lack of people makes it rather dull. There are a few restaurants that offer alternatives to eating at the hotel, though.

SERVICE: This is where the hotel falters and cost this review two stars. Being a seasoned traveller, I heard a lot about Raffles hotels' signature service and their quest for ultimate luxury and was looking forward to experiencing this, but I didn't feel like the majority of the staff at the Dubai property delivered. Service at the reception was spotty at best, with the staff seeming a bit cold, lost and overly apologetic rather than proactive. We strongly disliked waiting almost an hour for an unready room despite our prior arrangements and how the management didn't make it up to us in any way [a Four Seasons, for example, would see a personalized note from the general manager, plate of chocolates or an altogether upgrade offered to us as an apology]. It took nearly two hours and four phone calls to the concierge to deliver our bags to our room ["The bags are on their way."], and I eventually had to go down to the lobby only to see our bags sitting in a pile in the corner of the lobby without anyone attending to them. Only after lugging them halfway across the lobby alone did an attendant offer to take them up. I also arranged a pick-up from and drop-off to the airport in the hotel's Range Rover. The car was available on arrival and we were offered cool towels and water; a nice touch. For our departure, however, the car wasn't ready, the hotel lost my reservation for it despite my pre-booking and payment for the car and then kept us waiting half an hour for the car to come around. At 250 AED a ride, we expected a lot more readiness and delivery on their part.

I would, however, like to point out that our floor butler and two male pool attendants were readily available when needed and enthusiastic to help. If only the other staff followed their credo.

OVERALL: The property itself is very beautiful and well-maintained, with a good location that places it within close proximity of Dubai's sightseeing and transportation hotspots. Unfortunately, the service was a complete letdown and marred what could have otherwise been a very ideal stay. We will be exploring other venues for our next visit to Dubai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and facing the Botanical Gardens for extra peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Khaled B

Thank you for taking the time to share such comprehensive feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was very disappointed to read that you had a few issues and that you felt that the service was a let down. Firstly, please let me sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that you faced - this is certainly not the experience we wish our residents to have.

I have gone through all your comments and discussed them with my executive team. It seems that a couple of the issues were the result of an internal communication error and this has been addressed accordingly with those involved. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

With regard to the room not being ready I regret that due to the hotel being fully occupied the evening before we were unable to allocate all our mid morning and lunchtime arrivals a room upon their arrival. As I have highlighted before we do all we can to accommodate special requests however sometimes matters out of our control dictate otherwise. That said; if you felt that we did not do enough in a way of an apology then I would like to express regret. You are correct that we should do all we can to ensure that our residents are comfortable and I am disappointed that this does not seem to be the case on this occasion.

Please let me assure you that all feedback is essential to ensure we constantly upgrade our service standards, so that we can try exceed the requirements of the seasoned traveller.

On a final note I understand that you would prefer not to stay with us again. However if you do allow us the opportunity of a return visit please contact me directly so that I can personally look after the reservation details.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at raffles for just one night but it exceeded our expectations. The standard room was huge and beautifully presented with excellent facilities. All the staff we dealt with were charming and couldn't do enough to make our stay a memorable one. At turn down in theevening, they even lit some candles by our bath which was a nice touch. The hotel in near to the city centre so there is some inevitable road noise but we couldn't really hear it if the balcony door was shut.

Room Tip: We went for a club room which is not that much more expensive than adding breakfast for 2 people and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to read that you found the hotel brilliant and that the staff did all they could to ensure that your stay was memorable.

Furthermore, it was pleasing to read that you had enjoyed the club lounge facilities and that overall we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Dubai.