“Pinch Me I Must Be Dreaming!”
Review of Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown
Ranked #36 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
New York City, New York
“Pinch Me I Must Be Dreaming!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If I had to describe it in one word it would be opulence. With the option of using more words, I would sprinkle in a few like...plush, first class, and heavenly. The hotel manages to make you think you are perpetually in a luxurious spa. The smell of jasmine greets you at the door. The staff pampers you constantly...from frozen watermelon to cool, refreshing faceloths poolside. Breakfast is fabulous and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner at all of the restaurants. The concierge coordinated great trips for us, but most of the highly desired destinations in Dubai are right outside your door and visible from your balcony. The General Manager of the hotel greeted us and made sure every aspect of our visit exceeded our expectations.

We saw several other properties in Dubai during our visit, but this was my far the best! It manages to be extremely contemporary yet give you the feel of being in the Middle East.
It is stated that Dubai only has two 7 star hotels...the Palace (with 5 stars) has been cheated.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear LD,

Thank you for choosing the Palace and for sahring your experience in such great detail.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General manager.

Was truly a pleasure to have you hear and great to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Seems you did Dubai well and really took in the food, culture and fun.

Hope to welcome you back from the Big Apple again one day.

Best

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here on my own and as a solo female traveller felt very looked after and it was ideal for walking access to the Burj Khalifa and the largest shopping mall in the world, so no need to waste time waiting and paying for taxis!
I would make a point of asking for a view over the fountains for your balcony otherwise you may be right next to the pool area and that's not so private for sitting out.
The concierge was also superb at solving a problem caused by a tour company for me and he had the patience of a saint and was still smiling after we'd finished!
My only comment if anything would be for a system at the pool for the food/drink service where you could let them know you wanted drinks etc, eg a little flag or similar as I didn't spot anyone for ages and was gasping.

Room Tip: if you prefer a sunny veranda for private sitting then ask for rooms near to 123.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear Dbirkwood,

Thank you for choosing the Palace and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am quite happy to read you enjoyed the hotel, location and service. I hear your comment on the pool service and have already shared with that team, to determine a solution. Thank you for bringing to my attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dubai and the Palace in the near future.
Stay warm in the UK.

Best,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Perfect location with access to all of the things you want to see in the city. The entire property is central to the best hotspots and restaurants. Every restaurant on the property has wonderful cuisine with amazing views overlooking the water. The property is serene and elegant but not pretentious. The spa was wonderful and the hotel staff seems genuinely concerned with meeting your every need. They went out of their way to help us navigate the city - would highly recommend this if you are looking for a peaceful vacation- they've thought of everything you could ask for

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the waterfront
1 Thank Kj S
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Dear KJs,

Thank you for choosing the Palace and for sharing your response.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I am very pleased to read your comments and will gladly share with my team. I would agree the location is ideal but its the team that makes the difference.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near future.

Best
hertfordshire
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This hotel is a perfect little place,it is grand,but quaint.The staff are welcoming and friendly, and what is so nice to see are the staff interacting with each other and enjoying their work like one happy family. The Palace is small enough to feel at home, but grand enough to know you are in a 5 star hotel and the service is just that - 5 star. We arrived early and the only down side is that unlike other hotels they are not prepared for early arrivals, not that we expected our room at 9am, but the Royal Meridien offer continental breakast for early arrivals we were offered nothing.
I recommend the Argentinian restaurant ~ world class food and world class service,expensive but worth every penny. & try a drink in the Address ~ NEOS - has great views.
Go to the viewing area on the 4th floor of the Palace to watch the fountains, it's quiet and you get your own private view.
Our room didn't have a view at all, and when we mentioned this to the reception desk we were moved immediatly to the lake view we had paid for.
Building works were going on in the hotel and you wouldn't have known it, until the smell of resin came into our room through the aircon for 2 days. The housekeeping staff tried their best to eliminate the smell with candles etc and eventlually the smell went away.
The location is perfect for shopping and food, try Shakespeare = excellent value and good food, Karma Cafe has a licence and the food is first class, although you need a torch to read the menu and the menu has changed from what you are given to choose from anyway. DO NOT TRY afernoon tea at the Khalifa - poor service, expensive and the food is stale = go to the Burj al Arab, best afternoon tea in the world! and cheaper than the Khalifa
All in all if you want excellent food, excellent location, comfort and 1st class service stay at the palace.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a fountain view
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Cliff70,

Thank you for choosing the Palace and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

Overall I am happy to see you really enjoyed the experience and the interactions with my team. The are really the ones that make the experience memorable. I do apologize for any mishaps that occured as your experience was not seamless by any means. Know I will share your comments with my team.

Thank you again for choosing the Palace and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.
new zealand
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Ive travelled to dubai almost yearly for the past ten years and have usually stayed at different hotels ere thon each occasion...no more. I cant wait to get back and return to this hotel!

i arrived early in the morning with Emirates and after been offerred breakfast in the main restaurant (which was brilliant by the way) I was given an upgraded room to a suite and was in the room by 7.30am. I cant guarrantee that this would happen to everyone or all the time but it was certainly appreciated after my very long flight.

By the time I left the hotel 24 hours later, most of the staff I saw on more than one occasion were greeting me by name, and I was made to feel very welcome and valued by them all.

The fountain show is similar to the Las Vegas show at the Bellagio but still spectacular nonetheless and certainly added to the attraction of the hotel.

Additionally to the experience was the "arabic" feel given to the architecture of the buildings. , too often in Dubai the hotels could be anywhere in the world, however this hotel could only be here in the UAE.

Loved the easy access to the Dubai mall, even if im not a shopper,

I really look forward to returning and recommend it highly...

Room Tip: the hotel has some great viewing platforms for the fountain view, I would rather put my dollars towa...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank roscoe39
Atyrau
Reviewed 23 October 2011

An oasis of calm with the best staff imaginable. A proper 5 star hotel.

We were awkward customers, arriving at 7 am when our check in at the hotel wasn't until midday. However, by the time we'd had breakfast, our room was ready. We were travelling as a couple with an 11 year old child. We had booked via expedia but the hotel receptionist said that we'd booked a room with twin beds. I showed her my expedia booking which indicated a king size bed and a bed for an 11 year old and it didn't seem to be any problem. She said that they'd put a child's bed in the room but as we had a "large child" we may want a full sized bed and it would be an extra 150 per day.Our room had the king size bed but the child's bed still hadn't arrived by 9pm. My husband went to reception to request the bed again and spoke with a different receptionist who said that the bed would be 100 per night. He said that there had been no mention of that charge on the booking even though our booking clearly shows that the room was for 3 of us. When we checked out the hotel didn't charge us at all for the extra bed so we're totally confused by the pricing policy now.
In any case, we had a wonderful time at the hotel and would love to go back again.The pool area is lovely and the staff are always ready to assist with food or drinks. It's only a couple of minutes' walk from Dubai Mall, the pool faces onto the Dubai Fountain and there's a Starbucks about 30 seconds from the front of the hotel - which delighted my daughter. I can't imagine that there's a better hotel in Dubai.

Room Tip: You have a choice of a room facing onto the Dubai fountain or onto the manmade lake. The lake's...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Mimi1974,

Thank you for choosing the Palace for your visit to Dubai and for sharing your experience.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

My apologies for the confusion and poor response on the bed for your daughter. But I am happy to see it all worked out. Very Happy to read that overall you had a great time and the staff took care of you.

I hope to welcome you back to Dubai again in the near future.

Warm regards,

Manila
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Dubai was the last leg of our tour which included Amsterdam, Rome and Milan. We're really glad we chose to stay at The Palace The Old Town because service was uniformly and undeniably excellent, the accommodations were uniformly luxurious and so comfortable, the food was uniformly delicious, it was located a very short walk away from Dubai Mall and the hotel spa was fantastic! Check in was very quick, the reception staff were most helpful and welcoming, especially Yoyo and Dynalin. Our room was very large and the bed was so soft and comfortable. It was well cleaned and stayed well cleaned throughout our stay, including the bathroom which is sometimes not paid enough attention even in 5-star hotels. Breakfast was served everyday at Ewaan at the ground floor and the spread was far better than at The Address Dubai Mall. We also had dinner and drinks at the poolside of Ewaan, again the food and service were exceptional. We had dinner at Asado which was an Argentinian grill and the food was so delicious. We needed private transport to take us to the gold souk and back to the hotel, Joseph the concierge delivered on this and on other things that we needed. I had a massage at the spa and Chanya, my masseuse, had magic hands and it was one of the best massages I've ever had, and I have massages quite often. I wish I could have taken Chanya home with me. If I were to return to Dubai, I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank DramaQueenFlip
Spencer W, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Dear DramaQueenflip,

Thank you for choosing the Palace for your stop in Dubai and for the very detailed review.

My name is Spencer Wadama, General Manager.

I love your review, for more then obvious reasons. Thank you for taking the time to make note of the staff members you encountered that made your stay memorable. YoYo, Dynalin, Joseph and Chanya are truly just some of the amazing STARS we have. I will definitely make sure thay are recognized for making your stay so special. The entire team will be very proud to read your comments. We are all glad to know you enjoyed your experience fully.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palace in the near furture and thank you again for sharing your experience.
Best,