“Lovely stay at The Palace Hotel, Old Town.”
Review of Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown
Ranked #37 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay at The Palace Hotel, Old Town.”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We have recently returned from a holiday in Dubai and stayed at The Palace Hotel. On arrival we were booked in very speedily and upgraded to a Palace Suite which was excellent and had a wonderful view of the Fountains. The Hotel itself is a beautiful place and in pristine condition (lovely lobby and lots of twinkling lights). The staff within the hotel are attentive and the breakfast buffet was good with a wide choice. (Not sure if the breakfast is worth the extra cost to the room - 250 AED per day per couple) and I imagine you can get a much cheaper breakfast of equal quality outside of the hotel. The only other meal we ate here was poolside and this is where I feel the Hotel let itself down. We ordered a meal off the pool menu which was extremely poor (a chicken caesar salad which was limp and unappetising and looked as if it had been thrown together from left over poor quality ingredients) and nachos which were stale. This may have been a one off but it came as a surprise from a 5 star hotel. The service around the pool was poor also. Having said that the rest of the staff at this Hotel (especially the room cleaning staff) were lovely and polite). The location of the Hotel and its surroundings are great and the only downside is that it is not near a beach (I did'nt think this would be an issue when we booked it but having visited the Jumeirah Beach area we discovered the beaches are wonderful and decided next time we would choose a Hotel on the beach). Overall this is a wonderful hotel let down a little by the pool (which is small) and the pool food.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karen187061
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am also sorry to read that you had some shortfalls. Please accept my sincere apologies and I would like to thank you for your constructive comments. Please be assured that these comments are taken into serious consideration.

I hope you will honor us with an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon for three nights. Arrivng at 7am following an overnight flight from Mauritius, and we were pleasantly surprised that we were able to check in early.

The welcome is exemplary, cool drinks and towels to complement the trickle of the fountains and scents which pervade the entire hotel add to the ambience.

Our room was a fountain view and was fairly spacious, the highlight however is the bed, I have never been hugged by a bed but this was incredible!!!

Breakfasts were extensive and of high quality. In additon The Palace benefits from having two high class restaurants in Asado and Thiptara on site, we ate at Asado and would thoroughly recommend.

The Palace benefits from a great central location, close to the Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Mall, yet it is able to transport you to a place of calm and tranquility in the maelstrom which is Dubai.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MichaelO36
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate you took the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us on your way back home from your honeymoon for which we congratulate you.

Thank you for your very kind words about our service and how you experienced our welcome drink and towel as well as the room, the views and location of our hotel.

We are all pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to being given an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Dubai. This hotel was superb from the time we walked in to the day we left 10 days later. Service, food, cleanliness, helpfulness all first class and delivered with a smile. Wonderful location, close to Souk A Bahar, Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa and superb views of lake and dancing fountains.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LIZLAT L
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to know that you have chosen The Palace for your first stay in Dubai and enjoyed so much what we have to offer including the service and hospitality, the food as well as location and cleanliness.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

mumbai
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

It's a good hotel but not upto my taste personal preference as I don't like dull lighting dark gloomy interior lighting and the service no where near the the address downtown the lady who checked me in dumped me on the one end corner of the hotel not considering my 9 year old child how much she need to walk and believe me it take more than 7 minutes walk from room to lobby and then there was also work going on on the floor of 5 th floor changing the carpet all dirt dust and glue then I have never seen such a small lift in five star hotel you could find these size lifts in Hampton inn or motels then comes the service at the breakfast the staff is worst I have come across in Asia lazy rude especially a philapino lady who guides you to your table from the main entrance of the breakfast area as I told her to please double check for table near the pool and she replies you check yourself as I now there is no table rudely as if she's paying for my breakfast every request you make at the breakfast area needs to be told minimum 2 twice or they won't do it water tea or any thing anyways if you like dark gloomy palaces with a bad service this is the hotel for you

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank kiranroheraMumbai
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

We are sorry to read that the hotels design is not up to your preferences however we respect your views.

I would like to express my most sincere apologies for your disappointment during your stay in regards to the room condition and service shortfalls. Please be assured that we are constantly reviewing the feedback we receive from our guests which show us where we need to improve.

We hope to be given another opportunity to welcome you back at The Palace Downtown Dubai with improved services.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is an excellent hotel with prim location. It like an Oasis in the desert. I was hesitant to write a good review as I wish it does not get busy when I want to go there and find a room but I felt I owe it to the excellent hotel staff. I find there tranquility in a busy day in the center of business and heavy social areas.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

We are truly delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us and were extremely pleased with our service and hospitality.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I consider myself a world traveller and i do have high standards as i work in the travel business, And i would like to tell people about the wonderful stay we had at The Palace Hotel, beautiful architecture and furnishings,Impeccable staff, wonderful aromas of sandalwood and amber , the most comfortable cloud like beds, amazing showers, and great location everyone working there could not have been more kind and helpful and we will defiantly return it was such a great location with wonderful views of the fountain and the Burj Kalifa and close walk to the souk and Mall.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It is always encouraging for us here at The Palace Downtown Dubai to receive such nice reviews. We are truly happy that you appreciated so much the architecture, the comfort of the rooms as well as the service and location.

I would like to thank you again for your kind review and we look forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future.

singapore
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Great Hotel - fantastic location and beautiful setting - very good customer service and gorgeous pool. Quiet tranquil with great views. The food was pretty amazing too. Really enjoyed this hotel and it smelt great!

My only major/ minor issue was when we pulled the sheets up there were some weird stains on the mattress I wish i hadnt seen...

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side away from the fountains as the lights water show is LOUD and gets a bit repe...