“Luxurious, welcoming, trendy”
Review of Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown
Ranked #45 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We arrived quite early due to an red eye flight from Jo'burg. Warm welcome at reception, hot towels, plush surroundings and wow the beautiful aroma when you first walk through the main reception - it shall forever remind me of Dubai if I get a chance to sniff it again. First off, very professional staff. As it was so early our room was not ready but we grabbed something to eat in the amazing buffet restaurant downstairs and then retired to the pool lounge area until we were called.

Breakfast was amazing, huge selection and really really fresh. You can be as healthy or unhealthy as you like. I had Cadbury buttons on my crepes (along with choc sauce) so it was a particularly indulgent start to the day.

Room was large, spacious, modern and we loved it. Had a view of the lake and if we strained our heads around the corner we could just about make out the dancing fountain.

We were on our honeymoon so when we returned to the room after Dinner in the amazing Indego by Vineet later on that night the bed was covered in petals, fresh bath had been ran (with petals) sparking fig drink chilling on ice + a chocolate cake. It was a lovely touch and we were chuffed.

Gym is really modern and personally this is important to me when travelling, even when on honeymoon.

Close to the Dubai mall, Souk and other major attractions. Very well placed.

Overall a super stay. Yes, drinks are expensive but it seems to be the same throughout Dubai. Service is really stellar and the staff are genuine.

I will be back.

Room Tip: ask for a room with fountain view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bead007
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your extensive and very positive feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay with us. It is very nice to read your comments about our service and how much you appreciated even the small details as the welcome towels and the beautiful aroma.

It is our absolute pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Write a ReviewReviews (2,837)

Reviewed 19 November 2012

The room was gorgeous. The staff was nice, but overbearing. They knocked on my door three times, each time asking me a different question (is everything ok? Do you need any laundry done? Do you want to order room service?) I really just wanted to sleep.

I recommend not touching the minibar, unless you don't mind spending $16 on a pack of M&Ms.

This place gets only an average rating because of some serious unprofessional manners:

1. They gave me a lot of crap before "agreeing" to honor the airport transfer that was included in my room rate.

2. I actually booked a stay a second time, for next month, as I didn't want to look up other hotels. When I wrote ahead of time to make sure there was no airport snafu, they told me that they were going to raise the charge (from what was booked a month ago) to charge me the full government per diem for lodging. They said that was the only way to include a "free airport transfer." Well, that would've cost me (as a taxpayer) another 60 bucks. I canceled my visit, and found another hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank clcohen
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues you highlighted in your note where you faced a shortfall in service standards during your stay; I trust we did not resolve this to your complete satisfaction. I am personally following up and as of the moment, we are still investigating the reasons and circumstances which caused the inconveniences. I will drop you a note with the final result on your personal email at the earliest.

I apologize once again and I hope you will honor us with an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stay at the Palace, Old Town for 2 nights in December 2011.

Lovely memories, although the application process for sponsored visa was a bit chaotic prior to arrival (we received contradictory information from various team members, but it ended out all fine)

Smooth early check-in, with very efficient staff to help us call a doctor as we were not feeling well. Highly professional, staff is able to help you even outside of the "ordinary situations" which is not always the case in the region.

Large room, very modern, in line with 5 stars standards but nothing extraordinary though that would make it very special/ original.

Lovely smell in the property, a mixture of rose and other orange blossom/ fruity flavours that give the lobby a nice touch.

Very convenient location, a few minutes away from Dubai Mall and Burj Al Khalifa.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy1985
Michael S, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor about your stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest here at The Palace Downtown Dubai and we are glad you had a good time and enjoyed the service, the comfort of the room and the ambience. I will be sharing your review with our Associates which will be very encouraging to excel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

what a wonderfu place to spend in nov, we have a suite with a view of dancing fountains which were spectactular to say the least, restaurants are aplenty food to die form anything you want for a relaxing holiday you got here, However not a holiday to come on a budget as everything very expensive, one nite in suite will set you back 600.00 euro's, but if you have no worries about you budget then certainly worth a visit, wont return here as see it once you have enough, at the end of the day i miss my wet and windy weather back home,

Room Tip: if you dont mind walking fountain view is great, but lifts and stairs long walk from rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cody4512

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time out to give us your feedback. It is always encouraging to receive comments from our guests. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your relaxing stay with us.

I would like to thank you again for your kind review on our hotel.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

I had the chance to stay there a few days this summer and my room had a view on Burj Khalifa tower as well as on the dancing fountains. The view is amazing!
The room was very comfortable, with a local design. The entire hotel is in an oriental spirit and this is great! The staff is always very present to help you. Some symbols are very nice, such as the poem you have on your pillow every night!
The only drawbacks I saw were that rooms could be renovated a little bit and that the access to the fitness center is not easy (you have to cross the main hall of the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask a view on Burj Khalifa!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank FredK1412

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor..

I am glad to know you had an exceptional stay with us and it is very nice to note that you appreciated the design, the views as well as our pillow notes. Please be assured that we will be sharing your kind comments with all our associates.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

For me, The Palace Old Town is the best city hotel of Dubai. Everything, but everything is perfect. First of all the location, very central to Dubai Mall, Burj Khalifa, The Souk etc. Furthermore, the hotel exudes from Grandeur. The service is of a high standard, the rooms and bathrooms are spacious and fully equipped. The hotel has several restaurants, where the Argentinean Asado restaurant is definitely my favorite. The Palace has a very professionel Spa where one can choose from a wide range of different treatments. The pool is a wonderful place to relax, the staff here also provides excellent service. In the evening the pool area is converted into a fairytale setting where you can drink and eat. The staff in general is very friendly and helpful, although I was too early for check in, one could still help me and allready by the end of the morning I was assigned a room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Khangela

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate you took the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your very kind words about our service, location and we are also delighted to read you got the time to review our Spa, swimming pool as well as the restaurants.

We are all pleased to read that you had a superb stay with us and we look forward to being given an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 November 2012

A very nice stay in a great hotel. Had a lake side room for our first night. off to Abu Dhabi for 2 nights then then a fountain view for our return for 4 nights. Actually think I preferred the lake view room but the partial fountain view was entertaining. Rooms were a good size and quiet. Beds were outstanding. Loved the nespresso coffee maker and staff happily gave us lots of extra coffee for our morning start. Only complaint about the room was the hair dryer is in the desk and was a bit of a hassle to use.. would have preferred it to be in the bathroom.Breakfast at the Palace was absolutely amazing. Have never seen such a wide array of choices and the custom cooked omelettes were very good. Capuccino delivered to the table after breakfast was an added bonus.
We had a package which included breakfast, meet/greet on arrival and ariport transfers. Worked very smoothly. Probably could have done without meet greet as very small line up on our arrival at 6:30 pm from London but was a nice way to start a holiday.
Staff were helpful and courteous and appeared to genuinely want us to have a good stay.
Business lounge was good with helpful staff. Ate twice at the hotel. Once at Asado which was very very good and once at Thiptara which would rate as poor. Food was good but not great.
For a "fine dining" establishment the service was inadequate.Staff didn't know what type of beer they had on offer..said they'd find out and never returned. The tables were crammed together and the biggest issue was "dress code". When I made the reservation online I was sent an email with a very specific dress code....but when 2 people showed up wearing baggy shorts, flip flops,and unsightly t shirts they were admitted.. they also stood and smoked behind our table and were then moved to an inside space.. when we asked the management about the "double standard" we were advised that the offenders were from Abu Dhabi and an exception had to be made...not impressed. This one incident marred what otherwise would have been a 5 star experience at this hotel. Stay at the Palace but skip Thiptara.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveller47

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a great pleasure to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated so much the room, the range of breakfast dishes as well as the service of our associates. At the same time, please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you may have faced regarding your experience at Thiptara. We truly appreciate your valid comments and please note that this is definitely taken into consideration to enhance our guests’ experience.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.