“Very good but...”

Ranked #23 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Very good but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at The Palace downtown for 5 nights (from 27 Dec. 2013 to 1 January 2014). Overall, our stay was very good (the view from our room on the Burj Khalifa was simply fantastic for NYE! And I had the best massage ever at their Spa) but there were a few things that this hotel could really improve. First, the room service could be improved (the dinner on NYE was served more than 30 minutes late and almost cold, the beds were quickly made and the rose that was in the bathroom when we arrived stayed there during our whole stay, although it wilted halfway through). Also, we did not have access to Ewann Lounge (lounge around the hotel swimming pool) at nights because all the tables were booked. We did try to book a table, unsuccessfully. I don't know if I would stay at The Palace Downtown again, except for special events (such as NYE).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dvdmnnr
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valuable and constructive feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are glad to know that all in all you had an enjoyable stay and had a great celebration on New Year while enjoying the fountain view from your room. At the same time I would like to apologize for the shortfall in service standards during your visit and we take on board all your comments and appreciate your time to share them with us.

Thank you for your review once again and I hope you will honor us with an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Michael Sorgenfrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This property is strategically located, well-maintained and it has a cultural archetictural element, which is great for someone visiting UAE for the first time.

While I had a pumpy experience at chek-in, Mr. Jeroen, the hotel manager, managed the problem very well and immediately made corrective measures. He takes customer service very seriously and had truly made my stay a memorable one.

Thanks Jeroen !

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we are glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that Jeroen was able to turn around the unpleasant situation and make you have an excellent experience.

Thank you again for your comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My great experience with The Palace started even before arrival. A couple of days before my stay, I received emails from the front desk asking if I had any special requests. Having stayed in other 5 star hotels around the world, this is the first time I've received such service and it made me feel like a special guest.
Having booked airport transfer to the hotel, the excellent service started from the very first staff I met at the airport to the very last one checking me out of the hotel. Everyone had a smile on their face and is eager to help.

The hotel itself was tasteful in an understated way and the room (Palace lake view suite) was very spacious and comfortable, the balcony overlooking Burj Khalifa was a real treat.

Best location with easy reach to Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, airport was only 15mins away by taxi.

Will be staying here again if returning to Dubai.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We are extremely glad to know that you had a great experience with us here at The Palace Downtown. All our associates will be motivated by such inspiring comments.

We thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon on your return to Dubai.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at The Palace with my mum in November 2013 to celebrate my 30th birthday. We arrived very early on our check in day and we given tea and cakes while a room was found for us. Natasha on reception was exceptionally helpful in getting us the twin room we wanted- we were keen for some sunshine and the room we moved to was just perfect with an amazing view of the fountains.

The breakfast was so incredible- it kept us going until late at night and our waitress knew our specific tea and coffee order by the second day of our holiday- what fantastic service. We really enjoyed eating breakfast by the pool and having fresh smoothies made to order every day- they were just delicious.

The ambience and helpfulness of the staff, together with the decor and smell of the hotel (especially created in Paris-wow) was just breath taking. The location is just brilliant for Dubai Mall, the fountains and Burj Khalifa. We had a lounger by the pool every day with snacks and water brought to us which was lovely. Jumeirah is easily reached by taxi from the hotel as well if you are keen on the beach.

On my birthday the hotel delivered a birthday card signed by the staff, a chocolate cake and sparkling date juice to my room. It made my day (and week) just that more perfect.

I would be back to stay in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room 174- the best twin the City!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you had chosen our hotel to celebrate your 30th birthday and that the amenities made your birthday and week just more perfect. We are also glad that you enjoyed our facilities, the attractions close by such as Burj Khalifa, Dubai fountain and the Dubai Mall. Your kind words to our associates in particular, Natasha is very much appreciated.
It is always encouraging to receive such positive comments from our guests.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The lake view, fountain view, and Burj Khalifa are all astonishing. The hotel design is so artistic and non conventional. Also, the food is good at Ewan restaurant ( breakfast). The only draw back is the noise at night! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The valet service is a little bit slow.

Room Tip: Go for fountain view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us while experiencing the surroundings with many attractions, our buffet restaurant Ewaan, the hotel’s artistic design as well as the friendly service from our associates .
At the same time, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience in regards to the valet service being slow and the outside noise at night. Your comments will certainly be taken into consideration.

We thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Europe and The Palace did not compare well. The problems were relatively minor but there were quite a few and not what you would expect in a hotel of this supposed standard. A fruit bowl (part of our room rate) did not appear. When we queried this, we were given 3 apples. A used towel was hanging above the bidet when we checked in. When we reported this, it was not rectified. There must have been a misunderstanding as extra bath towels were delivered but the offending towel not replaced until we discarded it ourselves. There were stains and a burn mark on the ottoman at the end of the bed and stains on the carpet. I could frequently smell cigarette smoke in the hallway to our room even though, according to a staff member, the rooms on that floor in that wing were supposed to be non-smoking. The breakfast offerings were no more than average for a 5 star hotel. Where it fell below average was that the hot items were lukewarm at best. This was with the exception of the omelets, which were cooked to order. The wait for seating near the pool in the evening was lengthy - the space looked good but having so many large gazebos with only a couple of people in them is a poor use of space and means that very few guests get to experience it. Over all, this was not the beautiful finish to our holiday that I was hoping for. I will not stay here again, nor recommend it to friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MollyDooker1
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us here at The Palace Downtown. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback with us.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the shortfall in service you encountered during your stay. I would love the opportunity to be able to discuss this with you in person. If you would like to do so please contact me at info@thepalace-dubai.com.

Please be assured that your valuable comments are seriously taken into consideration and used for further enhancement of the guest experience.

Once again thank you and we really hope you could give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

The Palace Downtown
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived to a rude member of staff walking out of the main door on his phone, straight down the middle of the entrance refusing to choose to move left or right to allow my family to also come through.

Convoluted check in process, requiring me to sit in the lobby while someone walked around for five minutes with our passports in her hands speaking to numerous staff walking around the lobby before finding a check in clerk to hand them to...would have been a lot quicker if I was simply allowed to approach the desk myself!

Checked into a 'fountain view' suite which I had paid extra for to find my 'balcony view' covered up to chest height with shrubs. I can probably see about 20% of the fountains at best which is useless if you know how they're all linked to 'dance' together, so you can't tell anything that's going on. Also, I have to hold up my three year old on my shoulders for her to see anything over the shrubs. If I turn my neck 90 degrees and lean over the shrubs, I get to see the burj too otherwise my view is restricted to cranes and building works. Didn't...and still haven't found any reference to partial view fountain rooms on their website...feel completely mis-sold.

Worst of the lot...the suite cannot accomodate a baby cot and a separate bed for kids, despite my reservation being for 2 adults and 2 children of different ages. It's not rocket science to expect that kids need sleeping space in what's sold as a 'family suite'! I was absolutely shocked to be told I couldn't have a cot and a second bed and would have to choose...and that was after I arrived room find neither set up. When I asked where my other child would then sleep was simply given no answer but asked again and again which I'd prefer.

When my point finally seemed to get through, Eric, from reception promised to escalate up to the manager and check for alternative suite availability at around 3pm but never bothered returning my call.

This is only day 1...dread to think what lies ahead. Shocking, have had better and more personalised customer service in 2 or 3 star Dubai hotels many many years ago.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank farhanirshad
Michael_Sorgenfrey, General Manager at Palace Downtown, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am of course most concerned to learn of your disappointment and would like to extend my sincere apologies that your experience fell short of the high standards we strive to provide to our guests. This usually is not the service we operate. I have already shared your feedback with the team to ensure they understand and do not repeat the same. We have tried to reach by email but unfortunately did not hear back and we would be very glad if you could give us the opportunity to discuss with you the comments to regain your trust in our hotel and brand.

I apologize once again and I hope to hear from you in the near future.