Fancied a change after usually staying at the (very good) Emirates Towers and oh, so pleased I did. Flew in for a 2 night stay from Muscat, Oman and due to the slightly late arrival, reception staff bumped myself and 2 of my three colleagues up to lake-view suites. My colleague that stayed in astandard room was delighted with his accommodation but I can tell you that the suites are fantastic! So much space, huge and comfortable beds, beautifully appointed bathrooms with double sinks, separate toilet/bidet room, large bath and walk-in rainforset showers. Best of all, a huge balcony overlooking the lagoon with the Dubai fountains and a distant view to the Burj Khalifa. All immculate and stunning.
Staff is excellent and, although I did not eat in the hotel other than breakfast (which was pefectly acceptable), 2 of my colleagues did and said it was first rate.
As to location, The Palace is not in the 'pure'' tourist district but is easiy accesible to both leisure and business travellers alike. The proximity to the Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and very good restaurants mean that this hotel has pretty much all bases covered except for beach access (although the pool area is pretty classy). One slight negative is the gym, which flatters to deceive and with a clever use of mirrors looks twice its actual size and has quite limited facilities.
I've read a couple of reviews on TA that say that The Palace is simply a cold facade of a hotel and not the genuine article. I would argue that, having seen pretty much all Dubai has to offer, there is very little of the genuine Dubai remaining and that what the Palace represents is genuine 5 star accommodation and service in a central location away from the tourist strip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palace, built on the edge of a lake, is a harmonious blend of the past and present of Dubai with 242 guest rooms and suites boasting a captivating Middle Eastern theme. The luxury hotel hosts an array of international restaurants featuring fine cuisine, a breathtaking luxury spa, recreational facilities, a large pool and a comprehensive business center. It is ideally located near the Dubai World Trade Center, several major business institutions, shopping malls and tourist attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Agoda, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Palace Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palace The Old Town Hotel Dubai
- The Palace Old Town
- Palace The Old Town Dubai
- Sofitel Dubai