“Wonderful Experience”

InterContinental Dubai Festival City
Ranked #36 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I took my mother for a shopping holiday and we stayed at the InterContinental Festival Dubai. It was a very good decision. The hotel is adjacent to the Festival Mall, which is a great mall with all the shops that you want. The hotel staff was very professional and friendly and went out of their way to see that we were OK with regards to restaurants, amenities etc.
The breakfast buffet was good with a wide variety of foods. Food for all cultures and tastes.
The only thing that niggled was the low water pressure in the room. Quite difficult to take a shower or wash hair.
I could recommend this hotel for all travelers, be it couples, families or singles.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
IHGDFC_45777, General Manager at InterContinental Dubai Festival City, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear “Thereza_B”,

Thank you for posting such a great review of your recent stay at InterContinental Dubai Festival City here on TripAdvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you chose to spend your holiday with your mother at our hotel and found it to be a great experience. Most of our guests find the hotel's proximity to the neighbouring Festival Centre shopping mall very convenient and I'm glad you found this to be true for yourself as well. Your kind comments regarding the breakfast buffet and the professional attitude of the staff will be shared with the team and appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Dubai Festival City, hopefully in the near future.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Dubai Festival City

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental (IC) Dubai Festival City (DFC) during a July 2012 trip. My transfer from the airport to the hotel was without any drama. I found my reservation in good order, and the hotel recognized all the Ambassador benefits for which I am eligible. However, as soon as I got out of the elevator on the 22nd floor the downward spiral started. Immediately noticeable was the drop in quality from the lobby—carpet, wall treatment, lighting—all were immediately noticeable. The room itself was styled in a Japanese modern-style, which proved to be uncomfortable and impractical. The room used the British-style 220-volt receptacles, the IC in Bahrain has similar receptacles, but uses adapters for the more common 220-volt plugs, and the IC DFC should do the same. The lighting in my room was the most confusing switch system I have ever seen at a hotel. I spoke with several hotels guests and friends in Dubai that had experience with the IC DFC and all agreed that this system is needlessly complicated. The furniture used in the room reinforced the uncomfortable and impractical aspect of my room. The chair and chaise-lounge were unusable for seating. The desk was a round wooden table with a glass top and dirty (under the glass), the seating was a quasi-desk chair that did not roll, and a heavy wooden stool that served no purpose other than take-up space. The room had little useful storage space, and too much space was taken-up with extra pillows, as well as storage for robes & ironing boards. There was no closet space for my second suitcase, so it stayed on the unusable for seating chaise-lounge. I found the art and extra shelves in the room unattractive and space better used for closets. One of the doors to the mini-bar was not hung properly and visually annoying, but that matched with the holes in the window shades and worn edges on the wood in the room. The tub and shower arrangement was uncomfortable due to the bad arrangement of shade & light switches. Room cleaning, laundry pickup and delivery, and restocking the mini-bar were slow and had to be requested—I even resorted to taking my laundry to the concierge desk. After making up the room, I had more shampoo & shower gel than I could use, but could not get mouthwash for love or money. The food and drink provided on the club floor was unmemorable, the guest services they provided (information, directions, making transfer arrangements) was spotty at best, and irritating the rest of the time--they seemed most interested in passing any questions to someone else. I found the bars and restaurants unmemorable; however, the Eclipse Bar served poorly made drinks and had an irritating staff. For food and drink, going into Festival Center Mall or Marina Restaurant Pavilion is a much better choice. The Belgian Beer Cafe at the Crowne Plaza was enjoyable with good food and drink. The best feature of the IC DFC is the Spa, where I found the staff and services provided very good. The gym is satisfactory, although for such a large hotel I expected more. The transfer from the hotel to the airport was not nearly as smooth as the first. The desk staff told me that it was “cheaper and faster” to use a taxi rather than the hotel service. This was a surprise, since the hotel provided transfer was included with the room. Obviously, (to me) this was another example of laziness on the part of the IC DFC desk staff. The driver for the transfer dropped me far from the terminal and with two pieces of large luggage, crossing several lanes was not much fun. In summary, throughout my stay at the IC DFC—the hotel failed to deliver on numerous occasions. The IC in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia still gets my vote as the best IC in the Arabian Gulf.

Room Tip: Lower your expectations and just roll with the poor service.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Number72_7073
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dubai Festival City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Number72_7073,

Thank you for being our Ambassador Priority Club member and choosing to stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your reservation that was in good order and that you were pleased with our spa services and gym facility. However, it is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regrettable you were not satisfied with the overall condition of the hotel, room accommodations and some aspects of our hotel service received. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us.

We would hope that you would give us another chance to meet your expectations next time and to provide you with a wonderful experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 18 August 2012

really i enjoyed my stay there .excellent hotel , 5 stars manner of the workers,,good clean room.
something is that it needs about 10-15 minutes walking to the bus station or you should take a taxi to the metro station
otherwise excellent hotel with DFC mall is part of the hotel

Room Tip: the best view is the creek or marina
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear “doctoramir”,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at InterContinental Dubai Festival City.

I really enjoyed reading your review and to see that in such few words your explanation made it clear about how much you enjoyed our hotel as well as it's proximity to the neighbouring Festival Centre mall. We are delighted that you appreciated the level of service provided by our staff as well as the cleanliness of the rooms.

We certainly hope to welcome you once again in the very near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in July 2012. Overall we had a great weekend and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. There is a lovely outdoor pool and the buffet breakfast was very good with loads of choice. The room we had was modern in style and nicely furnished, spacious, comfortable and clean with a view out to the waterside. We weren't bothered by noise from the other rooms though there were plenty of kids around. The location is connected to a mall and it doesn't take long to get around in a taxi so we didn't find that a problem at all. You can get a local taxi easily from the taxi rank at the front door of the hotel.

The only negative was that the hotel was very busy and they had over-booked. It took quite a while to get checked-in - our flight was delayed and we arrived at the hotel at about 11pm only to find that there wasn't a room available for us. They took us to the bar and offered us complimentary drinks which did make up a bit for not having a room as it was a nice setting out on the terrace especially with some champagne, however it was after midnight by the time we were in a room and managed to get some room service for something to eat! The staff were very apologetic and room service was very prompt, even in the middle of the night.

I would stay here again. Overall we had a really nice time and enjoyed relaxing at the pool!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pac0611

Dear “pac0611”,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at InterContinental Dubai Festival City here on TripAdvisor. I was extremely happy to read that you had an enjoyable experience overall and consider staying here again on your next trip to Dubai.

I was particularly happy to read that you enjoyed several aspects of the hotel such as the outdoor pool, your "spacious and comfortable" room and the breakfast spread. Your comments will surely be shared with our team and appreciated. Thank you also for cooperating with our team during the busy period when you checked in and for appreciating the level of service provided at the time.

We always strive to ensure our guests complete satisfaction at InterContinental Dubai Festival City, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion. We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next trip to Dubai.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Early check-in was not an issue at this hotel, as my room was ready at about 0830, but for some reason check-in took around 12 minutes despite my being the only person checking in. I had booked a special rate (100% pre-pay) for an executive (club) level room, but was informed on check-in that that rate does not include club access and that if I wanted club access I would have to pay an additional $122/day. This little surprise may have been mentioned when I booked the room, but if it was then I missed the warning.

The room itself was a good one, with a view of the creek and city, but the boatyard is directly across the creek and presents an industrial-type view with cranes and various dhows and other vessels in various states of repair and manufacture; some guests won't like that sort of view. Plus the hotel is in an area of the city that is under heavy development/construction. However, it is attached to the large Festival City Mall and the esplanade along the smallish marina is nice, although there is a lot of trash in the water. The esplanade is lined with restaurants. The room's bathroom was large and had a neat tub that filled with water that drops from the ceiling! A very well-stocked mini-fridge and snack cabinet was in the room. Note to rooms manager: instruct the staff to not place bottles of red wine in the fridge. Fresh flowers were brought to the room on my second day along with a fruit basket. The turn-down service is very good. The room was very clean and spacious. There are robes in the room and a good-sized closet. The bed and pillows were fine.

Nearly all staff members were very friendly and courteous.

The Vista Lounge has mostly good service; "Honey" was just one of my servers there and was nice to me. Try the Thai beef salad and Cajun fries. The cappuccino service was very good, too. The lounge opens up to a deck that overlooks the esplanade and creek/marina. When you order a glass of wine, they bring the bottle and pour at the table so you can see what you are getting.

Room service was not bad and was fast. I had the onion soup, which was quite thick, and spinach-and-ricotta tortellini, which was a bit bland but still OK.

At check-out I was greeted with the words, "Our system is down." Therefore it took a while to get checked out. My Emirates driver was late, so I asked the concierge to call, but he just called the usual reservations number, which produced zero results, of course. He was quite befuddled and my driver showed up while he was seeking assistance from another employee.

The hotel had some heavy construction going on during my stay, with cement saws running that sounded like jackhammers.

Later, a friend recommended the Crowne Plaza on Sheikh Zayed Road for my next Dubai trip, which he says is better, so we might see.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert N
IHGDFC_45777, General Manager at InterContinental Dubai Festival City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear “Robert N”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

It was great to know that you were impressed with the room and it's uniquely designed bathroom. Thank you for also appreciating the level of service from our colleagues in the restaurants and room service. I was however disappointed to read about the challenges you faced during the check-in and check-out process, and would like to offer my sincere apologies for this inconvenience. Thank you for providing us with your feedback and suggestions. These are very important for us as it will help us strive for a higher standard of service.

Despite the inconvenience you encountered I was very pleased to note that your overall stay was good and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have spent 3 days and 2 nights in this splendid hotel and" Dubai" this modernistic city that collected the last reached by the world of progress and prosperity. The check in and out were very smooth and satisfactory.The room was capacious, clean, well furnished, with a nice city view.The staff were very helpful and friendly. The restaurants served a tasty oriental food, freshly prepared seafood, oriental desserts, tropical fruits, and the distinctive camel milk.The location of the hotel near to malls made it easy to go for shopping.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nice city view and a good chance to experience the feeling of living in a skys...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank omaq_doc

Dear “omaq_doc”,

I was very pleased to read such a complimentary review of your recent stay at InterContinental Dubai Festival City and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I was extremely delighted to know that you appreciated the quick check in and check out process and were pleased with the spacious room and the views it offered. Thank you also for appreciating the level of service provided and for the positive feedback on the restaurants. Your compliments will definitely be shared with the team and appreciated.

Thank you once again and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We spent a pool weekend at the Interconti and thus had our expectations fulfilled to a great extend. If you can afford to be a bit away from the city center, the InterConti is a perfect choice. The lobby along with its little cafes and places is good for relaxation. Quite handy, from there you can walk through an air-conditioned glass tunnel to a shopping centre which is nearby.

The rooms are very modern and my bathroom was outstanding, very stylish, with big windows and an inviting bathtub just at the window. As mentioned, we mostly hung out at the great pool area which was just perfect for relaxation from the long evenings at clubs, enjoying a very attentive service and a good choice of fresh-made snacks at reasonable prices. A little setback was there was hardly anything included, almost everything was extra (breakfast, Wi-Fi). At least you could use free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christof W

Dear “Stefan531”,

I am delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time during your recent stay at InterContinental Dubai Festival City and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Your kind comments about the "modern room" and "stylish bathroom" are highly appreciated. I was also pleased to know that you enjoyed relaxing at the pool and found the service efficient. Just for your future reference, I would like you to note that we provide all our guests with complimentary 1MB internet access throughout the hotel.

Thank you once again and I certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.