“Great Hotel! Enjoyed every minute.”

InterContinental Dubai Festival City
Ranked #35 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 11 January 2009

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful 5 night vacation at the Intercontinental in October 2008. It was the Eid holidays and the hotel was fully booked, but this presented no problems for the staff who were magnificent at all times and the hotel never seemed overcrowded.

We had a standard room but this was high quality, spacious and very modern. Big, comfortable bed; cool bathroom fittings and a great view overlooking Dubai Marina and helipad (Soundproofing is excellent - absolutely no noise helicopter noise).

Dining in Bistro Madeleine and Belgian Pub (in the interconnecting Crowne Plaza) was excellent and, in terms of cost, good value when compared to other 5* Dubai hotels. One complaint - the Vista Lounge cocktails were on the stingy side of small.

Festival City Shopping Mall offers 500 shops and the waterside Festival Walk has bars, restaurants and a great fireworks display when we stayed.

Large, excellent equipped fitness centre with cool outdoor glass bottom pool perched 6 storeys above the Dubai Marina.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank copyqat

Reviewed 7 January 2009

The reviews are accurate, and this is a great hotel.
I would struggle to add comments not alreay made so here are a few different to those ......

The hotel gym is fantastic, and has all the kit which is brand new and likely to be better than yours that you use. the sauna and steam room was really hot, not just warm like some hotels.

The breakfast choice is mind blowing, and the food is always extremely fresh.

We stayed in a standard room ,and couldn't fault it.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a 5 star property.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank UkSwiss
Reviewed 28 December 2008

My husband and I just got back from a two night stay at the Intercontinental Festival City Dubai and we truly enjoyed our stay. This is probably one of the nicest hotels we’ve ever stayed at in Dubai and elsewhere and it sure deserves its five stars. The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious and very clean., the bathrooms and shower are very contemporary and get a lot of light from the large window above the bath tub. The hotel facilities such as the pool, spa restaurants and bars are all wonderful. The pool was very clean, a little small but the pool staff were all very attentive and have a way of controlling the traffic so it does not get too crowded. The hotel restaurants are very good; we tried the French and the breakfast buffet and were very pleased by both. The bar on the 26th floor is very chic and offers a gorgeous view of the city. We also dined at the Belgian Café which is in the Crown Plaza attached to Intercon and we can’t wait to go back. As many reviewers have written the location of the hotel is great, it is attached to a large shopping mall, Dubai Marina that was very convenient for us as we did not want to drive around the city much. Overall I give this hotel the Five Star it deserves and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank birdette
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We stayed in the Intercontinental Hotel Dubai for a 7 day break in April. This being my 12th trip to Dubai since 2001 was probably the best hotel I have stayed in Dubai. The service and the food was exceptional and staff always happy to help (like in most Dubai hotels). The rooms were spacious with flat screen tv and dvd player, the ensuite bathroom overlooked the marina so you could have soak in the bath watching the sun go down. The bar was very contemporary in style and again having open air seating area overlooking the marina and creek was a lovely way to end an evening sipping away at the fabulous cocktails on offer.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jules1872
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days in Feb 2008. The hotel is close to the airport which was great when we arrived. The staff was very attentive and immediately upgraded us to a deluxe room. The rooms are ultra modern and very comfortable.

This hotel is attached to a great mall with a food court and good shopping so that was a bonus! Great shopping and a mix of fast food and sit down restaurants to eat at.

The breakfast buffet is absolutely amazing and a great way to kick start the day. The selection was amazing and well worth it.

I would suggest catching a cab from the shopping centre rather than the hotel as they are hotel cabs therefore have an extra surcharge. The hotel is about 25mins away from jumeira beach and mall of the emirates so wasn't too bad but not ideally located.

All in all, an excellent hotel to stay at with great service.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roop-a-doo
Reviewed 27 October 2008

The style, elegance and service found in this hotel are quite exceptional. The staff made every effort, in a friendly and charming way, to make us enjoy each aspect of our stay. We loved our room which was well designed with sleek lines and carefully chosen pieces of art and sculpture along with elegant furniture and heavenly bedding.
Sitting in the bar, overlooking the water with a delicious cocktail and that special Dubai balmy air was magical.

Although we only ate breakfast in the hotel, we would be happy to come back to any of the restaurants on another visit. The hotel tea is delicious, especially the herbal ones.

The outdoor area was beautiful with a pool which was large enough to allow us to swim proper lengths and freshly laundered sheets and towels in abundance.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank StellaWestLondon
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I just stayed here at this hotel this past week for three nights and then a day later for one night. I was there originally for a conference and then for a lay-over night as my flight came back to Dubai in the evening and my next flight wasn't until the next morning. Anyway, the hotel itself is great. The rooms are really large, everything is still very new and the location is convenient to the airport.

Most positive aspects:

-well designed room
-comfortable bed
-spacious bathroom with separate WC
-great pool area with infinity pool
-amazing gym with modern equipment and Technogym Kinesis machines
-10 minutes from airport
-amazing breakfast buffet
-connection to a mall in case you need anything

Most negative aspects:

-you still are charged for internet (ethernet or wLAN)
-far from town center
-ridiculous pricing
-poor service (too many staff members with really poor English)
-inefficient when it comes to taxis (only have their own cars and you hardly ever see local taxis queuing up
-over-priced restaurants
-poor views from rooms

So why did I only give two stars. Well this is based on my check-in experience. When you check in, they authorize your credit card. In my case, they tried to book 6000 Dirhams on to my card. They said it didn't go through (they tried twice on the evening I checked in!) Next day I received a message stating that I needed to have a credit card authorized. At the same time, I was registering for the conference I was attending and was informed my credit card was over the limit, which I knew couldn't be the case since I have a high limit. Anyway, what they did was book the 6000 twice on to my card, pushing my card over the limit. My credit card company informed me of this. When I told the reception this, they claimed they didn't do anything and refused to admit to any mistake and also claimed to have no record of anything being booked on my card. Without their bank removing these two authorization bookings, my card would have been blocked for ten days, which is the amount of time it takes for such an authorization to expire. After extensive arguing with multiple people at reception I finally was able to get a manager involved who did help me resolve the issue (still took two days) and my card was blocked the whole time. Further, I was unable to attend the conference I was in town for. I am quite disappointed how the hotel handled this, causing me to basically resolve the problem myself with extensive time lost on my part and costs incurred calling my credit card company. All I was given as an excuse for this was a dinner in one of the restaurants. No upgrade, no reduction in room rate.....just a dinner. Basically, the hotel cost me approximately 3 to 4 thousand dollars via this mistake due to travel and hotel costs plus time lost. They also took a long time to resolve the problem they caused and initially spent a long time claiming they didn't do anything wrong. Very upsetting to me and super poor service on their part. To top it all off, the manager who helped to resolve my problem told me they were at other times having problems with their credit card systems and the bank on the back-end.

To make things worse, I had to come back to the place since I had a room booked on my return trip from Kuwait via Dubai. When I checked in the second time, I had a higher rate for the room and they weren't willing to give me the conference rate I had the beginning of the week which was significantly cheaper.

Long story short, I will never go to this nor any other Intercontinental hotel. I've had problems in the past with Intercontinentals (read other reviews from me) and should have avoided them this time.....my mistake! Unfortunately the conference was taking place at the hotel and any other hotel would have been too inconvenient.

It's just not worth it. This line of hotels consistently disappoints and won't ever get any further business from me even though they often have really nice properties.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business