“Good Fish and Chips”

D&A - Dhow and Anchor
Ranked #161 of 9,534 Restaurants in Dubai
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, View, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Yellowknife
“Good Fish and Chips”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wife and I went there for Fish and Chips and were not disappointed in the meal. Had a great view of the Burj Al Arab sitting outside. The staff was very helpful and accommodating moving the heaters around so everyone could benefit on a cool evening. My only two complaints would be the price of the meal was steep and we ordered baileys and coffee with our dessert. They showed up 30min after our dessert and they were cold. Wasn't impressed but like I said the staff was helpful.

• Visited February 2014
Kyra B, Manager at D&A - Dhow and Anchor, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to the D&A. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Fish & Chips, as that is one of dishes we are known for in Dubai. The view from the outdoor terrace is fantastic, I agree, and we try to make it as comfortable as possible for our guests, by providing heaters in chilly weather, and by offering a large number of seats outdoor.

I am sorry for the incident whereby the Baileys coffee was not served at the expected time. In Jumeirah we aim for high standards of service, with quality products, so this should not have happened. Please rest assured that I will discuss this with the team.

On the same note, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about our staff. There, where we discuss the problems, we also take time to forward good feedback, which is one of the tools to motivate the colleagues and make them smile all the time.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Kyra Bommeljé
Assistant Manager D&A

• Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“In need of carbs.”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Rocked up without reservations on a Saturday evening. Snagged the last table which was lucky. Seems there are too many hostess ladies as they were milling around doing not much of a job. One asked in stilted English if be were ready to order then disappeared never to return - very odd. Outdoor seating was full which was a shame as indoors is quite noisy. Drinks orders were taken eventually and food was ordered soon after. Meals arrived quickly. I opted for the veggie roast dinner which said it came 'with all the trimmings'. It didn't. The food was tasty but it would have been nice to have a veggie Yorkshire pudding included. One of our group had the luxury fish pie and said it was very good indeed.
It's decent pub grub which us what we expected. Best to book in advance for an outside table.

• Visited February 2014
James D, Manager at D&A - Dhow and Anchor, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Hello ccindxb

Thank you for writing a post about your time at D&A

I have taken notes of your comments about the hostess ladies and the lack of Yorkshire pudding on the Veggie Roast and I will pass the food comments onto the Head Chef. With regards to the Hostess they would have gone to inform the waiter/ress that you were ready to order which is why she would have not taken one for you but I will speak to them also with regards to giving a little more information.
As of the 2nd of March we will be taking reservations for tables to try and avoid dissapointment for getting one of the terrace tables with the great views.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dubai
“Oh what have they done”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This was one of my favourite venues which I visited with family and friends over the last 4 years. It was always friendly and had great staff and decent pub food. After the refurbishment we visited and had a bad experience. Yes, the decor has moved into the 21st century. Sadly the service has declined. I complained to one of the management who apologised and offered us a free lunch which we did not accept. We said that we only hoped things would improve quickly. The famous fish and chips bore no resemblance to the past. Awful batter and huge inedible chips. We said we would come back a month later and did so last week. Sadly the cold reception continues. Service is all over the place - with our server telling us that none of the staff had been given a briefing on the new mock tail/cocktail menu! We asked to see the assistant manager - she eventually arrived an hour after we asked to see her. One bright spot is that they have extended the menu and brought back the all day breakfast which had been dropped in the new "gastropub" approach. JBH remains one of my favourite hotels in the City, but the Dhow and Anchor is absolutely no longer a place which resembles somewhere that gives you a unique British pub feel, nor a British pub grub experience. It has become clinical in its looks and lacking in some of the very best in customer service that Jumeirah Group is normally so good at providing.

3 Thank gerfitzDubai
Dear gerfitzDubai

Thank you for visiting D&A and also for posting your dining experience with us. I was disappointed to hear that we did not impress you with our food and service.

Guest comments are very important for us and we take them into serious consideration, as they help us improve our services. From your comments it seems that we have failed to do this on 2 occasions.
As you say we have now changed and so has our menu, we are now a restaurant and bar and not the British pub of old. The menu includes classics with twists and new dishes that we hope people will like. All the food is prepared fresh in our kitchen each day and nothing is frozen which we are proud of. I am sorry that on this occasion the fish and chips did not meet your expectations but again we have moved on from frozen chips to preparing hand cut chips each day.
Poor service is not what we want to be known for I will address your comments with my team to ensure everyone is aware of the menus and work together as a team and not individuals.

Thank you once again for your feedback and rest assured your comments are taken on board and will be addressed.

Leicester, United Kingdom
“My fave bar in the world!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Shisha with a view of the Burj - priceless! Good service. They need to be stocking Pinot Grigio though!

Visited February 2014
Kyra B, Manager at D&A - Dhow and Anchor, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Sarah,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to express your feelings about our venue on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your night with shisha, wine and our beautiful view.

We have taken note of your comment regarding the availability of Pinot Grigio, as we are currently not offering this grape variety by glass, but we will have a look at this for the future.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Yours sincerely,

Kyra Bommeljé
Assistant Manager D&A
Pretoria, South Africa
“Great bar!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enjoyed the virgin cocktails. Worth a try. But keep your wallets filled up. This place is not cheap.

Dear gontadu

Thank you for taking the time to write a post, I am glad you enjoyed the drinks at D&A. We hope to see you again soon.