“Great Steak house”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had dinner here on a Friday night. Sat in the basement bar area, which is nice. Upstairs you can cook your own steak, downstairs they will do it for you for $2. Steaks are excellent, sides are family style and you do not have a a choice. Service was good, not excellent. Past trips we had the fish which was ok, but it is a steakhouse, so I would stick with that. Prices range from $14 to $29 for the filet. Steaks are large and can be split between 2 people easily. This restaurant was a stagecoach stop and bar in the 1800's, and a guy was claimed to have been killed in the bar. They say he (Jack) still haunts the place, saying glasses move, lights go on and off, doors open. We did have the lights go off a time or two, but that was all Jack was doing the night we were there. The restaurant gets crowded during the holidays, and does not take reservations after 5:30 on the weekends, so plan accordingly.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This place was recommended by our B&B owner. He mentioned that we should get two menus (which we did) and learned that part of the attraction is cooking your own steak! First off, the salad and entree (with all the sides) was very good. Dessert...not so much. Kinda pricey considering we had to cook our own food. Would recommend this place simply for that experience.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I attended a wedding reception in the barn part of the restaurant, known as The Silo. It was very classy and nicely decorated. Even the restrooms were very nice.

The hors d'oeuvre which were cheese and crackers, were good.
The water, as anyone who has ever drank Allegan's water can tell you, was horrible. I'm surprised they haven't gone to using some kind of water company or gone to bottled water.

Dinner... well the green beans were good, the mashed potatoes were ok, far from hot and they could have used more butter on the table for them. There was some kind of beef chunks with a gravy on it, may have been better with some noodles, but the flavor was a bit off. Then there was the chicken, I believe it had alfredo sauce on it, this could have possibly saved the meal but...... I took a breast from the middle of the pan and it was COLD and I mean COLD.

I was pretty impressed with the place until dinner.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this restaurant. We decided to eat in the pub area and it was perfect for what we wanted to dine on that night. The service and food were good. We enjoyed it so much we decided to go back again, this time on a Sunday evening. The band was wonderful that evening and we were able to relax, have pleasant service again, and good food.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Saw this place on travel channel.... Drove from chicago to michigan for the wine fest.... We were told the grills would be an hour wait so we were sent downstairs..The waitress Amy was nice...we placed or order at 5:20...There were 4 people in my group 3 of us ordered from the kitchen (a burger, chicken sandwich and the perch dinner.. I ordered a steak from upstairs... The appetizer titled bucket of scraps was just that SCRAPS.... At 6:00 I was told I could go upstairs and pick up my steak and sides....(no one else at my table had received their food at this time)... Once I return to the table Amy says to the rest of my party your food should be right out..... So I'm eating my steak and the assistant Mgr asks US why haven't we gotten our food..... We are told again its coming needless to say the food never came and the explanation given was they were backed up because of the (Tim Mcgraw concert).... Fyi people who came in after us were served their food in a somewhat timely fashion....

I won't ever return!!!!!

They did comp my steak.... But my wife and god parents left STARVING!!!

4  Thank Jabez2137