“What a tasty and fun dining experience”
Review of The Grill House

The Grill House
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Allegan
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I happened upon this establishment at the end of a very long and difficult day. We had never been in the area before and didn't know what we were in for. We thoroughly enjoyed picking out a cut of filet mignon to share ( portions are huge! ) and grilling it together. It really beat sitting and waiting for our meal and we enjoyed the interaction. The steak was amazing and melted in our mouths! Service was friendly - even though we showed up near closing time.

1  Thank Kjblank11
There are newer reviews for The Grill House

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had dinner here on a Friday night. Sat in the basement bar area, which is nice. Upstairs you can cook your own steak, downstairs they will do it for you for $2. Steaks are excellent, sides are family style and you do not have a a choice. Service was good, not excellent. Past trips we had the fish which was ok, but it is a steakhouse, so I would stick with that. Prices range from $14 to $29 for the filet. Steaks are large and can be split between 2 people easily. This restaurant was a stagecoach stop and bar in the 1800's, and a guy was claimed to have been killed in the bar. They say he (Jack) still haunts the place, saying glasses move, lights go on and off, doors open. We did have the lights go off a time or two, but that was all Jack was doing the night we were there. The restaurant gets crowded during the holidays, and does not take reservations after 5:30 on the weekends, so plan accordingly.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This place was recommended by our B&B owner. He mentioned that we should get two menus (which we did) and learned that part of the attraction is cooking your own steak! First off, the salad and entree (with all the sides) was very good. Dessert...not so much. Kinda pricey considering we had to cook our own food. Would recommend this place simply for that experience.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I attended a wedding reception in the barn part of the restaurant, known as The Silo. It was very classy and nicely decorated. Even the restrooms were very nice.

The hors d'oeuvre which were cheese and crackers, were good.
The water, as anyone who has ever drank Allegan's water can tell you, was horrible. I'm surprised they haven't gone to using some kind of water company or gone to bottled water.

Dinner... well the green beans were good, the mashed potatoes were ok, far from hot and they could have used more butter on the table for them. There was some kind of beef chunks with a gravy on it, may have been better with some noodles, but the flavor was a bit off. Then there was the chicken, I believe it had alfredo sauce on it, this could have possibly saved the meal but...... I took a breast from the middle of the pan and it was COLD and I mean COLD.

I was pretty impressed with the place until dinner.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I enjoyed this restaurant. We decided to eat in the pub area and it was perfect for what we wanted to dine on that night. The service and food were good. We enjoyed it so much we decided to go back again, this time on a Sunday evening. The band was wonderful that evening and we were able to relax, have pleasant service again, and good food.