“Enjoyable weekend”

Ranked #2 of 4 Allegan B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Enjoyable weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

My husband & I spent the weekend here celebrating our anniversary. I chose this B&B based on the website and other reviews. The home is very beautiful. Our room was the French Garden Suite which is not in the main house. There are pros and cons to this arrangement. The pros are: it was very private and quiet, plus we had our own porch which I enjoyed very much. The down side is that you don't have easy access to the amenities in the main house - such as water, ice, homemade cookies, DVDs and coffee and tea (coffee and tea not complimentary which I found strange). It would have been very nice to have a little refrigerator in our room for this reason. That being said, the room itself is lovely. It was decorated very tastefully, clean and had the most comfortable bed ever. Our porch overlooked the gardens which was relaxing. There was a small coffee pot in our room and enough supplies to make coffee in the morning-thankfully!

The Innkeeper, Scott, is a very friendly guy and so helpful suggesting things to do nearby. He is also a pretty good chef. Breakfast was great - included a lot of fresh fruit, coffee cake and an egg entree. Plus juice and coffee. We were stuffed both mornings. He goes out of his way to make sure everybody is satisfied! The homemade cookies were excellent - it was probably a good thing our room was far away from them.

The town of Allegan is charming but there isn't a lot to do. The stores were not open much - even on Saturday afternoon. Luckily it is not a long drive to South Haven or Holland. There are some interesting wineries in the area and plenty to do within a short distance from the Inn.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. I am being pretty picky here (I am usually not, but at $200 plus per night, I guess I expect perfection!) I never bring shampoo or lotion, etc. to a B&B because I have never been to one where there isn't an abundance of toiletries. We had a small bottle of shampoo and that was all. No lotion. One bar of soap to share between the shower, sink & whirlpool (the whirlpool was awesome). There were some beautiful candles around the whirlpool but no matches anywhere. The towels had a musty smell which I hope was just a one time fluke. Like I said, these are small things and overall the Inn is very nice and we did enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: if it is winter, stay in the main house
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

I have stayed at the Delano Inn on several occasions. Scot makes you feel so very welcome, and will accomodate most any request. I would not think of staying at any other place whenever I visit Allegan. I recommend this B&B to any persons wanting a wonderful experience sleeping in a grand old victorian home.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kayatz
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Unlike the guests mentioned in the review, I also stayed in the Davis Suite, and loved it. I travel roughly 30 weeks a year, and have spent alot of time in Bed and Breakfasts. This one has to be one of my favorites. The room was great, spacious, and the whirlpool tub was a very nice thing at the end of a long day at work. The dining guide for the DeLano, was very helpfull when it came to finding some great restaurants. The owner was very helpfull, and his input was most appreciated.

The best was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and I have to say the room was perfect.

Breakfasts were fantastic, I was asked if there was anything I would like special, or jsuut surpride me, and I said just surprise me, and he did, they were fantastic, I had to push the plate away because I was too full to eat anymore.

I chose the DeLano because it is so close to Perrigo that I could walk to my office and not even drive, my co-workers on the other hand drove from Grand Rapids every day, 40 minute trip each way, I got the much better end of this, a real hidden gem.

PS. Loved the cookies!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lizzy056
Flint, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

My husband and I stayed under the current owner and were quite disappointed. We stayed in the Davis Suite, which was quite beautiful; however, we had multiple issues with our room.

First, we had only been there a couple hours when the toilet overflowed. It was the first time it had been used, and no reason for it to have done that. The owner came in and mopped and plunged and had indicated that it's hard to get parts for the toilet as if this has happened before. It was still embarrassing.

Next, that evening we were in the bathroom with the door shut, and we went to open the door and the handle fell off. We were stuck inside without any way to get help. Luckily, the one wall of the bathroom had a partition where my husband climbed up and over the wall and stepping down onto the jacuzzi, which was not an easy feat to accomplish. I don't know what we would have done otherwise.

As a result, I will not go back there again. I have been to more than 15 bed and breakfasts around Michigan in the last four years (some more than once), and I have never experienced anything quite like that. The place was beautiful, but our experience was not what we were expecting.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amybarton
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

The DeLano Inn is a beautiful victorian style mansion with spacious and comfortably appointed rooms. The Innkeeper/ Chef Scott is great; very sociable and knowledgeable about the area. The full service breakfasts were lovely, and pretty good about accounting for dietary restrictions when requested. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the location; downtown Allegan is great to walk through, but in the winter you can see and do everything there is in 1/2 a day. Everything else is at least a 30 minute/ 20 mile drive away. The DeLano Mansion is perfect for a weekend stay where you plan on staying in your room for most of it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Royal Oak
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

We were so happy to find that owner Scott could accommodate us when we called at the last minute. We stayed in the French Garden Suite, which was impeccably decorated, warm, beautiful, spacious, and separate from the main house (even with its own veranda). The price was very reasonable, considering the fact that we were in a luxury suite with gas fireplace and jacuzzi, a king-size comfy bed AND gourmet breakfasts! Scott could not have been friendlier (or a better chef) and he gave us a little history about the mansion itself. He arranged an in-room massage, gave recommendations about wineries and other places of interest. The entire home had beautiful character and it was in a fabulous location- in a small, quaint town, but close to other great towns (Holland, Saugatuck, Grand Rapids). I would go back in a heartbeat, and will certainly refer all of my friends to this B & B!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoyalOakBeast
plymouth mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2008

We decided to get away for the weekend, and found the DeLano Mansion to be exactlly what we needed. Our room was decorated in victorian decor, elegant, but not stuffy or like grandmas house. The room was spotless, with pressed linens, and Lands End towels, they wer sooo soft. Wanted to take them with us..lol. They have a great video library for free, with DVD players in the guest rooms. Breakfast were great, nice selection of breads and fruits from their first course buffet, then main entree's were brought out to us plated. The coffee was awsome, some blend of Kona from Hawaii, and something else.
Scott and the staff were very helpful, with restaurants suggestions, map, and ides for things to do. For dining the Journeyman cafe is a must go, organic food created by somre real "food artisons" The olive, artichike and walnut pesto wood fired pizza is a must have!!!! YUM
We brought our laptop for emails, and had no problem getting on the system.

We will be back in the summer to see the new gardens, it should be beautiful, with the fountain going, and the gardens in bloom.

Steve

• Liked — great hospitality, felt like home, great innkeepers, breakfasts!!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allegan
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
#3 of 4 in Allegan
No photo provided
Hotel Allegan
#4 of 4 in Allegan

Been to DeLano Mansion Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!