“Royal Treatment in Castle in the Country”

Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Allegan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This was the absolute most perfect place for a getaway for couples! The rooms are all so unique. I have never been a fan of bed and breakfast's but this completely blew my mind and I highly recommend it to friends and family! Food was amazing, service was incredible, and everything was so clean and comfortable!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2013

First of all, browse their website, look at the pictures, read the testimonials, etc. After you do all that, make your reservations--don't wait !!!! You are worth it !!! The hardest decision is which room do you pick??!!! But don't wait too long, or the decision will be made for you when rooms get booked, although, I don't think there's a bad room there !!! We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet and had a peak at the Lady Guinevere. Both rooms were beautiful !!! We would have loved to peak in some of the others, but they were occupied. The bed was very comfortable. The sheets so soft. Robes were provided and were comfortable for my queen size. The whirlpool in the room was wonderful !!!
From your arrival, you know that this is not your average place. This was our 1st B&B in the states, and we felt like royalty (or a dear family member). All of the amenities were explained thoroughly. Recommendations were made for dinner along with having menus available to look at. Ruth made reservations for us for dinner.
We booked the Royal Treatment package which included one night's dinner, a couples massage, a picnic lunch and a gift bag waiting on our arrival. Our dinner was at the Salt of the Earth in Fennville, which was absolutely delicious !!! The couple's massage was heavenly, thank you Pam and Kathy. My first professional massage (and NOT my last) and it was relaxing and rejuvenating. They are very discreet and made us feel at ease immediately. We had our picnic lunch after that, and it was wonderful. A nice bottle of local wine, bread, jellies, cheeses, sausages, crackers, apple, orange, chocolate covered strawberries, chips. We couldn't even eat it all and it was so nice. We threw the afghan from the bed on the floor and enjoyed a movie while we relaxed and ate. I'm sure during the summer, it would be SO nice to enjoy outside!!! Our gift bag included 2 nice wine glasses, chocolates from a local place and a nice CD.
So there's some of it, but that does not include all the little extras that Ruth and her family provide. The whole Castle is very welcoming, comfortable and beautifully decorated. It feels like a home away from home. The delicious breakfasts that start your day...scrumptious does not even cover it. The coffee/tea bar that is always available with such a nice variety of items. The soda/water that is available for purchase in the kitchen area. The chocolate chip cookies that are always available are delicious and a very nice treat to share with your loved one. The popcorn that you can pop for movie watching or snacking. DVD's available to enjoy. Books available to enjoy. Some nice items in the gift shops by local artisans. The relaxing music that is playing throughout the inn. There's a gazebo outside. There's a patio with the fire pit outside. I am sure the grounds are beautiful during the spring/summer/fall.
This is a place that we will return to for a special occasion or just because. How often do you do this for yourself....just make the reservation!!! You and your spouse are worth it !!!!!

Room Tip: We were in the Castle Keep building in the back. The Castle is right on the road, but it doesn'...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Researchmama
Ladyofthecastle, Owner at Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear Guests,
You're royalty to us! Thank you so much for letting us (and anyone who reads your review) know about all the details you felt were important to you. So glad you loved the Romeo and Juliet suite and all the services of the Royal Treatment package...our Massage Therapists are the Best and we're so glad you noticed.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

The Castle in the Country is a perfect get-a-way for couples. We had a wonderful two-night stay - just wish we could have stayed longer! We stayed in the Camelot Suite and it was perfect. The room was clean, the bathroom was gorgeous, and the innkeepers have thought of every little detail. The Castle in the Country is in a perfect location - a quick drive to Holland, Saugatuck, Grand Rapids, or Kalamazoo. We highly recommend Salt of the Earth and The Grill House for dinner options. Ruth and her staff were wonderful hosts, helpful and kind. We can't wait to go back in the summer! The breakfast was delicious and the breakfast room has a wonderful view of the pond. We loved the coffee/tea options!

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Camelot Suite if you are looking for more of a modern room. It was recently...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ladyofthecastle, Owner at Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear Guest,
We'd love to have you back...and would love to have you stay longer next time! We always appreciate the time our guests take to review our Inn and I know that others who read your comments will appreciate your attention to details in your description.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

The overall experience was great. The staff was very friendly and the room was very clean and lovely.

The only drawbacks for me were that there was not a fridge in the room, just a small communal fridge in the public area so I had to walk down 3 flights of stairs to get my drink which was no longer there. I'm sure it was just a mistake. They sell cans of pop and bottled water out of that fridge so I'm sure someone didn't realize that they took my personal drinks.

The breakfast was very good but not great. The dining room is lovely and it's not the typical buffet but a plated meal, which I like. They served OJ, coffee, fresh fruit cup, maple scone, bacon and an egg souffle with hollandaise sauce. My only complaints about the breakfast was that the scone, though it was tasty, was a little too hard and the bacon was almost inedible. I like crunchy bacon but this was nearly petrified. The egg souffle was wonderful and the chopped fresh fruit was nice. I'm sure my husband would have left hungry though because they are rather small portions.

I recommend the pub pie dinner. They pack it all in a picnic basket for you that can be enjoyed anywhere. I had the chicken with white wine sauce. It was delicious with a very subtle wine flavor and a puff pastry crust. It comes with homemade bread, 3 different kinds of cheesecake and a salad.

I will definately return but I think I will go when it's warmer outside so I can enjoy the lake and walking trails.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tracie C
Ladyofthecastle, Owner at Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Guest,
There's nothing more rewarding for us to hear than that our guests' overall experience was great! We really appreciate your feedback regarding the common area refrigerator and we'll do our best to encourage guests to mark their personal items with the post it notes we provide so that other guests don't mistake them for the beverages we provide.
We change our menu frequently for breakfast and we do offer a different baked good each day along with fresh fruit and the main entree. We often offer a sweet or red potato hash along with the egg dish and we do try to modify the breakfast serving size and the taste preferences of our guests whenever possible. We generally chat with guests about their preferences for breakfast during Check-in so we'll look forward to your return visit and will do our best to make it another great experience at the Castle in the Country Kingdom.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at Castle in the Country ("CITC") in November 2011. I thought I had written a review, but we were talking about and reminiscing about our stay there a few nights ago when I had realized that I never reviewed it!
The CITC is a beautiful bed and breakfast that is conveniently located near many wineries and great restaurants in central Michigan. We were greeted warmly and were also helped with dinner recommendations for the evening. Their dinner recommendation was a great restaurant in Holland that we ended up eating at again for lunch the next day.
The room at CITC was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the linens were nice and soft. The bathroom was stocked with nice toiletries and fluffy towels. I was a little cold in the room but of course they think of everything and there is a little fireplace in there to keep warm!
The breakfast was probably the best breakfast that I have ever tasted at a bed and breakfast. The choices were very gourmet, but not pretentious at all. The coffee was outstanding too and I am picky about coffee as I like it very strong.
The grounds are beautiful surrounding the bed and breakfast. We walked through all of their trails and felt like we were redeemed from having a HUGE breakfast!
I would recommend CITC to anyone desiring a first-class bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ladyofthecastle, Owner at Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2013

Dear Guest,
Wow, what a memory you have for detail! We are so thrilled that when remembering your stay with us from over a year ago, you're still thinking good thoughts of your visit. Thanks for noticing all the details that we think are pretty important too..."delicious food, outstanding coffee, nice soft linens, fluffy towels and beautiful grounds."
We really feel honored to be a part of your getaway together and greatly appreciate such a kind recommendation to your fellow travelers.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

We received a gift certificate for the Castle in the Country. This was a total surprise and had no prior knowledge about this Bed and Breakfast. We were welcomed with a detailed 'Kingdom' Map of worthy places to visit. Restaurants were suggested and menus were provided to take a glance at. We were pleasantly surprised with the Castle and this community. There are wonderful details throughout the Castle in the Keep. From cookies in a jar to a full tea and coffee bar that we found came in very handy. Our room was the KIng Arthur. The view we had when we awoke was of the pond with two muskrats swimming here and there. The room was very cozy and comfortable. It was so quiet and relaxing. The fireplace was a nice touch. The homemade breakfast was very good and flavorful. Extra attention has been taken to serve unique recipes, which adds to the charm of this place! The nearby communities are a short drive and worth every mile. We enjoyed Holland very much as it was full of quality shops and restaurants, and worthy of an entire day of your time. The Salt of the Earth restaurant in Fennville ranks up there with the finest of restaurants. It is in a tiny old very quiet town. The pork shoulder and brussel sprouts were so wonderful. Oh, and the gelato is amazing. It is a place you will never forget! Also, try the Old Mill Brew Pub and Grill in Plainwell in an old flour mill! You can see the history on the walls and ceiling, so very interesting and good food too! We will be back to the Castle in the Country next year to enjoy the high quality of this Bed and Breakfast and to enjoy the communities around that are so unique and special!

Room Tip: There are two buildings here.. One is the old victorian house or castle and one is the newer buildin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Ladyofthecastle, Owner at Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear Guests,
Glad you were happy with your discovery of all the details of Castle in the Country and our surrounding communities. A lot of our guests are here on a Gift Certificate so we are really happy that you enjoyed so many things about your "Surprise" experience.
Looking forward to seeing you back again next year and we'll do our best to provide a great second visit to our Kingdom.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This was our third time to this particular B & B. The first two times were fourteen and twelve years ago when it was called The Inn at Froggy's Pond. We had the same room, King Arthur's, but I don't think they had the "castlely" names back then.
The bed was like a cloud, the two person jacuzzi awesome and the view from the window breathtaking. I had paid for a picnic basket as an extra add-on so our second night there was spent drinking wine and eating cheese, fruit, crackers. That was nice since there really is nowhere at all to eat anywhere for miles and miles.
The people who worked there were always friendly and helpful.
If I had one con it would be the lack of light in the room. There were lamps on either side of the bed and a couple scounces but they had no more than 20 watt bulbs. Once nighttime set in, you were pretty much in the dark. If you wanted to read, forget it. Fortunately, there is a sitting room downstairs next to the dining room with a lamp.
In summary, if you want to unwind and just do nothing, this is a great place. If you need a little more entertainment, go to Saugatuck.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the "castle keep" which is the old "Inn at Froggy's Pond&quo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,
Thanks for your great review of our Inn and we're so glad you enjoyed the "cloud-like" bed, the "awesome jacuzzi" and the "breath-taking view". Thanks also for mentioning the lighting issues that you experienced. Since we have the bed-side lamps with bulbs on 3-way switches and the wall sconces on dimmer switches, we might need to advise future guests ahead of time about how to get the higher wattage lighting out of each of these fixtures when they want it and that way we can hopefully avoid the only con that you experienced.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Allegan
Bay Pointe Inn & Restaurant
#9 of 11 in South Haven
Kingsley House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast
DeLano Mansion Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!