All reviews rooms face breakfast buffet main plaza place to stay the owner monastery antiques tidy bolivianos tv reception
Reviewed 20 May 2018

Originally built as monastery and tastefully renovated to hotel. Full of antique furniture. Close walk to Plaza de 25 de Mayo which is the center of town. Rooms face internal courtyards and have very high ceilings and are quiet. Provides drinking water in cooler in lobby which saves money, time and litter in buying water. Good breakfast buffet. Staff friendly and helpful.

No windows to street, so less private but more quiet. Bathroom door was tinted glass, could have used shade for more privacy. Shower drained slowly. Staff did not know days of Origines Bolivianos was performing and we missed it as a result. Also did not know travel time to Tarabuco market and said it was much longer than it was, so we did not go but would have. We should have double-checked these times ourselves though.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dontstopgoing
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay here. The hotel is a beautifully restored monastery, complete with colonnaded corridors, light filled courtyards, painted and carved wood, stained glass windows and handsome antiques. Our room was spacious, comfy beds, mini bar, laundry, and delightful and helpful staff. Good breakfast too. There were few guests, so lovely and quiet for a good night sleep. The most authentic and handsome of all the hotels we stayed in while in Bolivia. Great location too.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2018

We had a kind of love/hate relationship with this hotel. As we looked for a place to stay in Sucre, free parking was in important variable. It is hard to drive around in Sucre (as it is in all Bolivian cities), and parking is scarce. While free parking is listed in the Tripadvisor page for the hotel, I called them just to be sure, and they confirmed that they did have on-site free parking. However, when I arrived, I was told to simply park the car on the street, as the city did not boot illegally parked cars on the weekend! Well, that gives you confidence. But then on Sunday, I was informed that I had to move the. car, right way to keep it from getting booted. So they guided me to a garage four blocks away that had no relationship to the hotel. The next day, Monday, they called at about 9:30 in the evening and insisted that I had to move the car back onto the street as the parking garage was going to charge extra for the evening. I pointed out that I had already gone to bed and declined the invitation to move the car. The next morning reception called again to insist that I move the car back in front of the hotel. Yes, it might be booted, but that was not likely, I was assured. It turned out that the garage did not need the space, but that the owner of the hotel didn't want to pay the extra charges for leaving the car for
the morning (5 Bolivianos or less than a dollar). When I spoke to the owner once in the course of the car fiasco, I was told I could find another hotel. Ultimately, the hotel did cover the charges for the car parking.
Obviously, if you don't have a car, none of this matters. So how was the hotel itself. It is a wonderful historic building, indeed a former monastery. It has great, ornate furniture that may or may not be antique, but you can sit in all of it. Most of the rooms enter onto open patios, and if there is anyone in the patio, you can hear their full conversation. This is a little problematic in that the only window in the room is a bathroom window that enters onto the patio, and opening that window is the only way to get air in a very stuffy room. Breakfast was very plain and very typical Bolivian breakfast buffet with a little fruit, bread, jam, yogurt and the spam-like breakfast meats. The hotel is centrally located near the main plaza and convenient for moving around Sucre. Would I stay there again. No, I'd try my luck with another hotel.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2018

The hotel is just a couple of blocks from the main plaza in Sucre. Each room is unique. The rooms and public spaces are filled with antiques. The rooftop view is spectacular and a great place to watch the sunset. Staff were friendly and professional. Breakfast was fantastic. The only hitch at check out time was the broken credit card machine which is a pandemic throughout Bolivia or at least for me. Because we had two hotel rooms our three night stay was quite expensive and having to come up with around $700 cash before rushing to the airport was stressful. Fortunately the ATM machines in Bolivia will let you take out the maximum withdrawal three times in a row--unfortunately I left my card at the machine. Overall though, I recommend the hotel without hesitation and recommend prepaying.

Room tip: The rooms with lofts are extra cool.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Perfect location within walking distance of most historic and cultural sites
Beautiful old building with modern amenities
Rooms squeaky clean and all very quiet
Best part of stay is friendly and helpful staff
Answer to Every request is YES.

Date of stay: November 2017