“Not enough food + drunk guide”

Bolivian Full Xplorer
Ranked #8 of 8 Tours in Sucre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a Bolivian Tour operator, we offer to you many option of tours in Bolivia, we are experts in Adventure tours we have hiking, biking, climbing, paragliding, horseriding,Quads and monorcicle tours, Those tours are amazing you will be able to swim in some natural places and have fun and adrenaline.We also offer tour in many cities of Bolivia.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Paid 425B for 2 day trek to Maragua with a group of 6 others. Trip was decent until we arrived in Maragua. Guide drank 9 beers so we cooked ourselves the small pasta dinner he had brought us. Next morning was a coffee cup of oatmeal and nothing else to eat until 2pm when bus arrived 1.5 hrs late. That's not enough to feed me just sitting around let alone after 4-5 hrs of walking. The group was starving so another guide gave us food while waiting for the bus. In talking with people from the other trek I found out they paid 400B to stay in the nicest place with two full big meals of dinner and breakfast plus snacks along the way. Oh and we helped carry the guides backpack bc he was too hungover.

Agency gave me 200B back but only after much discussion. Unfortunately I think they took it all from the guide and never admitted the food and lodging being their problem. Overall I wouldn't go with them again for anything.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I went on a tour to Maragua with 5 more tourists with this company. The car this company sent us is just unbelievable. A Landrover from 1984, one seat in the front for the guide , and in the back for the tourists 2 benches which were extremely uncomfortable, especially on these bumpy roads we went, and from where one could not even see the view because they were facing each other and the windows were not only dirty but also colored. The guide was so nice and agreed to switch seats with me when we stopped after one hour, if I had to sit in the back the whole trip I would have a much worse neckache than I have now. When I asked the driver if the company did not have another car he said it was not the company´s car, it was his, the company hired him with his car when they had tourists for a tour. I find it a shame that a company that charges for a trip of 7 hours in a country like Bolivia from us together 190 US Dollars hires the probably cheapest car with driver it can get.
I would definitely not recommend this company. The places we went to were beautiful, this saved the day. I would very much like to add some photos of the sitting facilities in this car but I don´t see how I can do it.

bolivianxplorer, Gerente at Bolivian Full Xplorer, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

My dear friend, we are not agree with your comment because you say it was a terrible tour only because of the car, but as you noticed this kind of cars that we use fot this rainy season are the best ones for this roads.

Hope you understand, thanks for your comment

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Since we had only 12 days to visit Bolivia, we decided to go with Bolivian Explorer for the organization of our trip.

Positive points:
- Thanks to their large network in the whole country, they were able to organize our trip entirely: from Sucre (2 days hiking to Maragua crater through Jalq'a villages), through Potosi (1 day visiting the city), Tupiza (triathlon of horse riding, 4x4, biking) and finally this incredible 4 days trip in the desert of South Lipez and Uyuni.
- The logistic was perfect : they organized all bus tickets, but also shuttles from bus stations to hotels, and hotel to bus stations, at a very good price considering the service.
- The sights were amazing (especially the south Lipez). We truly appreciated the flexibility of Bolivian explorer who accepted to let us free in Potosi (since we wanted to visit the city by ourselves, they only organized the shuttles for us).

Negative points:
- Even though we agreed on the tour price with the agency in advance (and formalized on the tour description paper), the price agreed was finally increased on D-day because they did not manage to find people to do the trip with us (and so, even though we committed to do the tour by prepaying 50% of the price through Western Union). However please know that this is common practice in Bolivia, so this is not the "fault" of the agency. We must be aware this can happen, and consider this when preparing the trip budget.

Globally we enjoyed 100% of the trip in Bolivia thanks to them. We are not used to use agencies (we are more "back packers spirit", managing logistics and all by ourselves once we arrive). Still, this trip was unforgettable.

3  Thank ThibautfromLux
Reviewed 6 July 2012 via mobile

After shopping around a few tour companies we booked mountain biking with Bolivian explorer and were so impressed. From the first minute our guide Nelson was superb and made the tour so enjoyable. We felt safe, saw some stunning scenery and had a great BBQ lunch at a recreational complex with lots of activities. He was so patient with our countless flat tyres (thanks to the tough terrain) and we felt looked after from start to finish. This is THE company to book personal tours with in Sucre, we cant recommend highly enough. Gracias!

3  Thank TravellerCu11y
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I did 2 activities with Bolivian explorer and I have to say I was extremely satisfied with both ! The first was a mountain bike tour to Yotala: a good descent crossing amazing landscapes, very good food at our arrival in the village (the pool was good). Our guide Nelson was super professional, carrying all necessary equipment for possible repairs; and he taught us many things about the region and bolivian culture. I recommend it to all ! Second activity was paragliding. We took a 4WD and went up a mountain, the instructor is a champion, very nice and I didn't feel frightened at all thanks to him. I spend two lovely days with them. Go there, don't miss it !!!!! And please don't go to the agency next door if you want a real service, not just being considered a walking wallet. I hope you can enjoy as much as I did !!!

4  Thank Etienne M