Museo Charcas (University Museum Colonial & Anthropological)
Ranked #30 of 65 things to do in Sucre
Tampa, Florida
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

At the time of the visit, the Colonial and Ethnographic sections were closed. I and a group of students had asked for a guide, in Spanish, who rushed us through the rooms because she obviously had better things to do than her job. I ended up dumping her to go back and read the panels (Spanish and English), which were much more informative. The gallery of contemporary art downstairs is uneven.

Visited May 2013

Santa Cruz, Bolivia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Standard fare”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Contrary to our guidebook, I preferred the contemporary art in this particular museum, although the highlight was still the 17th (18th?) century painting of Cerro Rico and Potosi. A variety of mummies and lots of excavated pottery. Too bad I'm not an anthropologist.

Visited December 2012
Murphy, Texas
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Very interesting and eclectic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Found this place accidentally--and even then, I had to go back there twice to find out when it was open. When I finally got there though at the right time, I was very pleasantly surprised. There was a lot of interesting art work and artifacts, and I was surprised that it wasn't more crowded. But I felt that this gave me a greater appreciation of the region than any other activity in Sucre.

London, United Kingdom
“Finally a decent museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

This is in fact 3 sites in one: museo colonial charcas, museo antropologico and galeria arte contemporaneo. When I visited they were refurbishing the Museo Charcas. However, the entrance fee (20bs.) which gets you into all 3 sites is still a bargain. This is the first museum that I have visited in South America, and I have been to quite a few, where someone has actually thought about the presentation. The artefacts are ordered in a good chronological order with various themes (pottery, weapons, textiles, costumes, etc. rather than being thrown together in some random mish mash that doesn´t make sense and have descriptions in both Spanish and English. The art gallery is equally well ordered from colonial portraits through to modern art and contains some interesting pieces. Finally a museum worth visiting.

Visited November 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
654 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 464 helpful votes
“Old fashioned museum in need of a facelift”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

There are some interesting things in the museum, including some mummies and deformed skulls. There is also a nice collection of colonial and modern paintings. Unfortunately, these paintings are in desperate need of restoration.

The archaeology section is definitely dated and is kept like a museum from the 19th century. It has quite boring displays in many of the wooden cabinets. A facelift would do it the world of good.

I did feel that my 20BOB was helping a good cause and I hope that the museum is able to preserve what they have.

Visited January 2012

Travellers who viewed Museo Charcas (University Museum Colonial & Anthropological) also viewed

Sucre, Chuquisaca Department

Been to Museo Charcas (University Museum Colonial & Anthropological)? Share your experiences!