“Best atmosphere around”

Ranked #2 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Sucre
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best atmosphere around”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at Kultur Berlin for 6 nights and it is easily one of the best hostels I've stayed at in South America. Even though right now there are renovations going on i imagine they will make this place even better. The outdoor courtyard is great, the tranquil back garden area is even better. Hammocks in the garden gave it a nice laid back vibe. You can catch the sun in one or the other of these spots for the majority of daylight hours. Atmosphere is great. The staff were all nice and super helpful. I had one cold shower whilst there but, to be fair if you don't expect at least one cold shower at a hostel in south America you probably live in lala land.

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 different dorm rooms, the first was a 8 man room called "Keith" I think? we...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had such a great time at Kultur Berlin. I spent over a month there whilst learning Spanish at the school linked with the hostel. Klaus the owner and his wife Rosett were always welcoming and Rosett was great to practice my Spanish. The hostel itself is well laid out with a combination of dorms and privates. They are currently building an additional 3 dorms with a load more bathrooms and a common kitchen. The café provides good food until this is completed. The rooms are cleaned daily and the beds made fresh which was pleasant My only minor complaint was the temperamental nature of the hot showers, but I put this down to the construction work taking place at the time. All in all I would definitely recommend a stay, the weekly Folklorica shows on Fridays draw locals and tourists alike and theres always something to do.

Room Tip: If possible Nicholas was a great 4 bed dorm with ensuite at very reasonable price.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Nowhere on their website is this described as a party hostal! Also 2 (cold) showers between 20+ guests is not really acceptable. Breakfast is decent if you have managed to make it up after a noisy nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Huacachina, Peru
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I really liked the place when we got there - the staff were friendly and our dorm was really nice: even though they were just matresses on the floor they were good mattresses and had nice sheets. There is also a nice hammock area which was great for relaxing and reading. The only criticism I had of it was that there were nowhere near enough loos, but the manager said he was working on that so i willingly forgave it.
However, on Friday night there was a big party. I was having a really good time and I'd enjoyed the traditional Bolivian dancing which happened just before the party too. Everyone was having fun and the DJ correctly called out at about 10.25 that it was our last chance to get our happy hour drinks and we all headed to the bar. But when we were there (still with 4 minutes before the end of happy hour) the manager was behind the bar and told us that happy hour was already over and that we would have to pay full price for the drinks. This really annoyed me as, not only were the cocktails themself very bad and not really at all like what they should've been (specifically caiprinha and mojito, although i tried my first chuflay there and that wasn't great either, don't know if that was their fault), but it was the manager himself who was refusing us (and lots of other people) happy hour deals. It really put me off the place as the time was quite clearly still happy hour o'clock and it just seemed a bit stingy. In the end he said we could be the last 3 grouos to have the happy hour deal but it was too late as we'd already ordered chuflays, which were on permanent happy hour.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sucre, Bolivia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Positive:

- very good breakfast (the best I had in South America)
- helpful and friendly staff
- great happy hour deals! (e.g. 25 Bol for 2 Cuca libre; and that every day)
- many comunal areas
- easy to socialize (also due to many social events)

negative

- not enough showers (however more showers and rooms are getting constructed)
- no TV room to relax in
- my mattrass was very used and not comfortable (some should be exchanged!!)

Overal impression: A very good hostel with the opportunity of becoming the best hostel in town, after having finished all construcion matters.

Thx!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Zittau, Germany
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for five nights. The first two in an 8 bed dorm over to the main patio and over the café. That was the usual hostel dorm, with the beds being made by cleaners on a daily basis. The cafe downstairs would play music until about midnight and become quiet after that. If people remained in the patio and chatted, you would hear it. So going early to bed really wasn't an option here. It may sound strange, but I also appreciated that the dorm was very dark at night! I switched dorms after two nights for wanting something quieter and was not disappointed: the hostel has a huge property and one of the dorms is in a lovely garden in the back, far enough from the main building to be very quiet. That was a very nice dorm and I can only recommend it for those who need some serious rest from travelling. Generally, given the size of the hostel, more showers and toilets would be nice. The toilets and showers were basic and cleaned once a day, meaning that they'd be somewhat dirty in the evening. The hostel is located very nicely and the price is really unbeatable. While they don't have a kitchen to cook in yourself, they do have a restaurant with good and very (!) cheap food and nice German beer. A real treat is the breakfast! In total, worth a stay with something for everyone.

• Stayed May 2014
Revelstoke, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Want to stay in a majestic old colonial house? Want the perfect balance of chill out hammock zones and fun spaces with friendly local and expat staff? Feel like some Saurkraut? You got it, and all here in the middle of Bolivia. Kultur Berlin is one of the coolest, comfortable and most interesting places we stayed in Bolivia. We lived in Sucre for a month. After staying at Kultur Berlin for a week, the super friendly owner Claus helped us find an apartment and set us up with Spanish lessons. After we moved out from the beautiful Berlin, we continued to hang out at Kultur Cafe and soak up the vibe over lunch or after lessons as a meet up spot for a drink or two. The rooms are gorgeous, easy on the budget and comfy as, whether your in the awesome dorms or going private. This place is a must when heading to Sucre.

• Stayed November 2013