“Dissapointed with this hostel - there has to be better for your money”

Cruz de Popayan Hostel
Ranked #26 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Sucre
Cork, Ireland
“Dissapointed with this hostel - there has to be better for your money”
Reviewed 21 August 2009

When we arrived at this hostel we were greeted by a woman who didn't speak english despite them advertising the fact that the staff are bi lingual - in fact just one member of staff is and he is so rude and standoffish. He is not forthcoming with information when he is asked a question and just didn't seem to care. We came back from a night out a 2am one morning to be greeted by the front door locked - there were no signs up to say that there was a curfew so it was a SHOCKING service. I went around the side of the building and I saw a light on in a bedroom so I knocked on the window but of course no one looked out. I asked if the person could open the front door. Next thing a young member of staff opened the door - he didnt speak english and the first thing he asked us was something about laundry - at 2am!! He didn't say sorry. We just went to bed disgusted. I also noted that to use anything in the kitchen I'd say you had to ask reception as all the cupboards were locked. I asked for matches which were also held behind reception and asked to bring them straight back - I was made to feel like a child. Our room was very small - double bed and not much else. There were two toilets in the courtyard - showers were hot. The location is a good 15min walk from the centre - I am sure that you can get a better located, friendlier hostel for the same price. I would not recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharc84

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newcastle
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Checked into this place and it was awful! Every wall was covered in mildew, the place stank of damp and the sheets on the bed were scruffy.

We looked at another room but it was just as bad.

This place may be cheap but its for a reason!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank littlegeordie

Travellers are raving about these Sucre hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed here for three nights. Our room was tired looking and dark, but it was pretty clean. The bathroom was pokey and grotty but the shower was the best I've seen in South America, in terms of temperature, reliability & pressure.
The breakfast was very basic but did the job. Where this place really falls down is the attitude of their staff. There were three regular staff members, one lady who was nice and friendly, and two men who were both rude, unhelpful and clearly didn't want to be there and saw their guests as a massive inconvenience. It doesn't take much to smile and say hello or thank you or welcome!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Hotel Cruz de Popayan, and we were not disappointed. The staff were most gracious, kind and helpful, from reception desk to room service. After a busy day of travel to Recoleta, we were happy to arrive in our beautiful large room which overlooks the main patio, with a breathtaking view of the surrounding countryside. The rooms are beautifully appointed with local bolivian touches, and all the amneities one would expect from a fine hotel . Room service was great, the breakfast buffet was plentiful and it was lovely to dine in the courtyard.

Porlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2009

162 Bolivianos with own bath and a pretty poor breakfast of coffee and toast. Very nice courtyards to sit in, use of a kitchen, free internet available; very good location, quiet.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 September 2004

Hello:

I would like reccommend a Hotel in Sucre, Bolivia. I arrived there for my travel guide (Reise Know How) and casually I entered to your site, But I did not found it here.

The hotel is a spanish authentic building, large rooms, with private bathrooms, telephone, satelital Tv and a superb breakfast.

The price is cheap for the service. The twin bed room costs 20 USD and the single 15 USD.

Address: Calle Loa #881 (just two blocks from main square).
Tel:-------------------