“So much potential!”

Ranked #29 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Sucre
uk
“So much potential!”
Reviewed 23 November 2009

This is a beautiful colonial hostel in a great location in Sucre. Our double room was huge boasting tremendously high ceilings and real charm. The courtyard areas are also really quaint and this seems like the perfect place to stay in a historical city such as Sucre. Why of Why though do they not put any toilet paper in the communal bathrooms? Why is the kitchen full of really old, dirty and worn kitchen ware ? (there were also no forks whilst we were there of which the management did not attempt to rectify), why does the internet not work? (although WiFi does), just a few small things to turn this place into a real gem. Saying that, it seems to be the story throughout Bolivia so I guess time will tell.....

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stockholm
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We liked this place - big room with high ceiling, charming old colonial building with a lovely courtyard to hang out in.
We stayed in a double with private bath and I thought the room was very good - little details like beautiful lamps added a charm that is rarely there in budget accomodation in Bolivia.
The dorm room we saw looked cramped though, I don't think the entire hotel has high ceiling.
The only minus for us was the breakfast - it was basic and cheap. Other than that, we found it a great place.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I was expecting a lot worse after reading the reviews here, but it wasn´t bad. We got a private room and it was clean and comfortable. The breakfast sucks with only cold bread and jam and the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired (like toilet paper), but for the price it wasn´t bad. The staff arn´t very helpful, but overall not a huge disapointment. Maybe if I was expecting more I would have been let down.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2009

When we arrived at this hostel we were greeted by a woman who didn't speak english despite them advertising the fact that the staff are bi lingual - in fact just one member of staff is and he is so rude and standoffish. He is not forthcoming with information when he is asked a question and just didn't seem to care. We came back from a night out a 2am one morning to be greeted by the front door locked - there were no signs up to say that there was a curfew so it was a SHOCKING service. I went around the side of the building and I saw a light on in a bedroom so I knocked on the window but of course no one looked out. I asked if the person could open the front door. Next thing a young member of staff opened the door - he didnt speak english and the first thing he asked us was something about laundry - at 2am!! He didn't say sorry. We just went to bed disgusted. I also noted that to use anything in the kitchen I'd say you had to ask reception as all the cupboards were locked. I asked for matches which were also held behind reception and asked to bring them straight back - I was made to feel like a child. Our room was very small - double bed and not much else. There were two toilets in the courtyard - showers were hot. The location is a good 15min walk from the centre - I am sure that you can get a better located, friendlier hostel for the same price. I would not recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharc84

Travellers are raving about these Sucre hotels

Newcastle
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Checked into this place and it was awful! Every wall was covered in mildew, the place stank of damp and the sheets on the bed were scruffy.

We looked at another room but it was just as bad.

This place may be cheap but its for a reason!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank littlegeordie
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed here for three nights. Our room was tired looking and dark, but it was pretty clean. The bathroom was pokey and grotty but the shower was the best I've seen in South America, in terms of temperature, reliability & pressure.
The breakfast was very basic but did the job. Where this place really falls down is the attitude of their staff. There were three regular staff members, one lady who was nice and friendly, and two men who were both rude, unhelpful and clearly didn't want to be there and saw their guests as a massive inconvenience. It doesn't take much to smile and say hello or thank you or welcome!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at Hotel Cruz de Popayan, and we were not disappointed. The staff were most gracious, kind and helpful, from reception desk to room service. After a busy day of travel to Recoleta, we were happy to arrive in our beautiful large room which overlooks the main patio, with a breathtaking view of the surrounding countryside. The rooms are beautifully appointed with local bolivian touches, and all the amneities one would expect from a fine hotel . Room service was great, the breakfast buffet was plentiful and it was lovely to dine in the courtyard.