“Lackluster food despite new looks”

Wheat & Rye Steak House
Ranked #7 of 87 Restaurants in Allen Park
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hoping the recent renovations signaled an upgrade in the overall experience we stopped in for dinner the other night at this local establishment a few blocks from home. With fresh eyes and a good appetite we stepped in and could see that the décor was fine - typical local bar - but the thing that really caught our eye was a lack of patrons. We rather expected a bigger group on a long holiday weekend evening. The wait staff were adequate but not particularly engaged, friendly or helpful. For example, we ordered an appetizer and two entries and they all arrived at once. We looked around for ketchup and mustard for the burger and fries; finding none we waited, and waited, and waited, and eventually I got up, went to the wait station and got them for myself. No big deal on a busy night, but.... Also, I'm a fan of hot wings with blue-cheese dressing. The wings arrived, looked a little odd (some sort of sesame deep fry batter), but were indeed fully cooked. The hot sauce that had been haphazardly sloshed over the wings was terrible - hot, yes, flavorful: NO. They were so awful I ate no more. Moving on to the burger, it was dry with only a small handful of minced lettuce tossed partly into the bun - no tomato, no special sauce, no nothin' else. C'mon folks - any decent chef can make a great burger and the cost of time and ingredients is - at most - marginally more. What I take away from this visit is a pervasive attitude of "get 'er done and don't sweat the details. Drunk people (which we certainly were not) can't tell the difference anyway..." Sad. We had real hopes but won't be back and can not in good conscience recommend this establishment to friends and neighbors. Or maybe they already knew, which is why they were not there in the first place??

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Great Food. Go hungry. Great time. Happy Hour was great! Definately will be back! Went with a group and everyone had a great experience.

Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

The food here is good. Huge portions. Mediocre quality. Wait staff. Not very attentive. Cheap steaks

Reviewed 29 November 2012

If you are hungry and want to get a lot of food for super cheap this is a good stop. Otherwise, keep on trucking. The steak I got outmatched my steak knife and I desired a chainsaw. On a positive note they had a pool table and I enjoyed playing a game.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Went for lunch and had the philly cheesesteak sandwich. I've had better, but nonetheless, it was good and filling. The thing about this place is that all the sandwiches are huge, and priced very reasonably. The building and decor won't knock you out, but if you want good solid food, this is the place.