“Will not be staying here again”

Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allendale
“Will not be staying here again”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I picked this hotel based on proximity to Grand Valley university, sadly that is the only thing this place had going for it.
I called to confirm my reservation the day before and requested a room change but was told that due to booking online I could not change my room, I asked if a supervisor could look into it and let me know. I heard nothing back and on arrival my request was a surprise to the counter staff who never even bothered to check with the manager and simply told me they were now fully booked anyway. Apparently my rather simple request to have the chance to give them more money was put in the too hard basket.

We accepted the luck of the draw to go to our room to find a small, dark room that provides no privacy while using the bathroom, only stay here if you are comfortable with the people in your room (and possibly other rooms) hearing you use the bathroom in detail. The walls are thin and my partner and I got to enjoy listening to the people in the next room talking until early morning.

Having had a poor nights sleep and a long day we wanted to order in, unsurprisingly the WiFi was not working so I asked at the desk for delivery resturant menus for the area. After confirming that pizza would be fine I walked away with a brochure for a place that does wings (?) and a written down phone number for a place but no clues on what their menu was, having already explained I was a foreigner and unfamiliar with the chain. It was irrelevant as said place was closed. The final straw that led me to actually write this review was the ants crawling all over the bedside table, the ant trap placed behind the bedside table was inadequate to deal with the invasion of ants, but a clear indication that the hotel was aware of the problem but as with every other part of my experience here, unwilling to expend any effort on fixing it.

I will not be staying here again and will be encouraging my friends and family to spend the extra time travelling from Grandville or Grand Rapids when attending events at GVSU, the convenience of being near the campus does not make up for the shortcomings here.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Amabran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Harbor Springs, Michigan
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall, this hotel is very convenient to the college. The room we stayed in (2nd floor, suite) smelled like musty pool water. Our clothes smelled too. Other than that, the room was clean and bed was comfy. We could hear the people in the next room, but thankfully they went to bed by 11:30 p.m. The breakfast is just okay. The hotel gave us a 10% discount because we were visting the college. Although, we still ended up paying $130 for a suite (King bed with pull-out couch). The couch was fairly worn, so it went unused.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CatBL
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I visited the Sleep Inn in Allendale, Michigan from March 18th until March 20th and I had such great hospitality when staying at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area and they really cared about your experience while staying at Sleep Inn. The beds were very comfortable and I did not hear any noise from other rooms. The only suggestion I believe this hotel could improve is by improving their breakfast since it consisted of two cereals, pastries and bagels and although the bagels were very tasty and the juice was very fresh, they could have improve on what they served with more cereal choice and a more variety of pasties but overall, I enjoyed my visited to the Sleep Inn and if I am visiting Allendale again in the future, I will spend the night here because it was very affordable and the staff really cared about their customers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SETraveler2012
Fremont, Michigan
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We were in town for a wedding and probably because it is the only motel in the area I felt it was way over priced. The complimentary breakfast left much to be desired. No hot foods were offered, only donuts, bagels, etc. We went out for a real breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RobynMyers
Canton, MI
Reviewed 26 August 2011

For proximity to Grand Valley State University, this hotel cannot be beat. You can leave the hotel, pick up your child from the north end of campus, and be back to the hotel in less than 10 minutes. The rooms are clean and adequate. The standard rooms are small and oddly configured; the toilet/shower are separated by a pocket door with the sink in the main bedroom. The entry door is flush with the rest of the room, so there is no corner to step around if you want to change clothes out of view from the other room occupants. However, the suites are quite nice and well-sized and not too much more expensive.

The included breakfast leaves much to be desired. I would rather go out and buy breakfast at a local restaurant or go over to the university rather than dine on the small selection of pastries available. Also, make sure to review your bill at checkout as standard practice is to charge a $1.50/night charge for the safe, even if you did not use it. Each time I have asked the charge has been readily deducted but if you are not observant you will be charged.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
LAKE ODESSA
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Clean hotel and staff is ok. Problem is that the walls in the rooms are paper thin. You can hear people in next room talking. not a party or louding just talking with them selfs. that is why the TV remote volume only goes to 15. Can not turm it higher because the management knows about the walls.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michtex
Michigan
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We travelled to Allendale for two nights for a wedding and needed to be close to the reception (which was at the restaurant across the parking lot). So the location was convenient, but the hotel had some flaws.

Pros: Clean Rooms and Common Areas, Excellent Staff
Cons: Small Rooms, Thin Walls, Cold Pool, Poor Breakfast, Overpriced, No Bath Tubs

The price of the room was outrageous for the quality of the hotel, but when you are the only choice in town, you can get away with that. The walls are paper thin; apparently the hotel caters to college sports teams that are travelling to the area to play against GVSU. After a long day, we put the kids and ourselves to bed early, only to be woken up at midnight by voices in the next room. We were travelling with two young children that take baths, not showers. The Sleep Inn only has showers, unless you pay almost double to get a suite with a jacuzzi tub. We would have stayed somewhere else, but this is the only decent hotel within miles so we drained our wallet to get the suite. The standard king room our friends stayed in was tiny, so the extra room provided by our suite was convenient.

The pool is small, and very, VERY cold. Our kid’s lips turned blue as they shivered after only ten minutes, it actually felt warmer when you stepped out of the pool vs. being in the water.

The first morning, we ate breakfast at the hotel, bread, bread, bread, bread and oatmeal. The options were starch or coffee. We were very disappointed with the breakfast selection. I had to drive across the street to get decent coffee. The next morning, we chose brunch at the restaurant across the parking lot.

On a positive note, the staff was excellent; they were very friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to say hello and meet our needs. I wish all hotels’ employed staff as good as this hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank The007Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allendale
Comfort Suites
Grandvillage Inn
#4 of 4 in Grandville
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids N/Walker
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East

Been to Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!