“Worst Hotel Owner/Manager EVER!”

Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allendale
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I called over a month before our stay to make reservations for 2 rooms, for my family and my sister's family. When I called to reserved the rooms, the person who I was speaking to had a very thick accent and I kept asking him to repeat himself. Because I wasn't sure if he was understanding me, I asked him 3 times "so, that's for August 2,3 and 4th, for 2 rooms, right?!" He assured me, "Yes, Ma'am. That's correct." So, my family and my sister's family checked in on the 2nd. On the 3rd, my family was in a parade in Grand Haven and I received a panicked phone call from my sister back at the hotel, that we didn't have rooms for the 3rd and 4th. I called the front desk right away and explained that I had made reservations for 3 nights and this clearly had to be a mistake. When the girl at the desk asked if I remembered who I spoke to, I said "yes, I remember very clearly. It was a man..." and she finished "with an accent?" I said, "Yes!" She proceeded to tell me I had spoken with the owner and that he makes mistakes like this all the time. So, the owner calls me, and it's like talking to a wall. He said I had requested 1 night, so he put it in the computer for 1 night. I asked him, "So, you can tell me you 100% remember speaking with ME, and ME saying that exact thing to you?" He says, "No, I couldn't possibly remember that. But you said, 1 night, so I put it in the computer for 1 night. I not make mistake." So, you can clearly see that this went around in circles with him. He refused to make things right, he refused to listen to me and he refused to do anything about it. DO NOT MAKE RESERVATIONS HERE! It is not worth it. We had to scramble to find rooms for the next two nights for our 2 families and ended up in an even crappier hotel. Oh, and the showers are extremely slippery and my son fell many times in the shower. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen and I did leave a complaint at the front desk about it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank BusyMom444

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We called over a month ago to make our reservation so we could go to a family members wedding at grand valley. I called the day before to confirm our reservation and they had somehow lost it. I had to wait over 3 hours so a manager who barely spoke English to call me back. Even though they had all my information AND I had the confirmation number the manager kept saying that it was my mistake and I should call another hotel. There was nothing he could do and he wa sorry, thank you, good bye. He kept saying that over and over until I asked for another manager and he said he owned the place and that it wasn't his problem that I had made a mistake. He had other customers who planned ahead and made reservations that's why they have rooms. I am so upset about this still! We had to scramble around last minute on our way to the wedding to get a hotel nearby for a higher price. The girl at the front desk at the new hotel told us that a lot of people stay here because Sleep Inn "loses" their reservations last minute. I would NOT recommend dealing with Sleep Inn and I hope the owner goes out of business.

• Stayed: July 2013
7  Thank Laurenleeb
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My room was spacious and clean w a comfortable bed. Ask for a north facing room so you have a view of the countryside instead of the parking lot and highway. The staff was polite. The common areas were tidy. There was lots of parking. The drive to the airport was reasonable, as was the room price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank traveling_foodie1
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Because i stay at a Choice Hotel property nearly every weekend for work, I think I am somewhat qualified to be in judgement of this property.

Over the years i have come to the understanding that the entire reason a hotel is in business is to rent rooms. Hopefully a lot of them in order to make money and run the property properly.

Having stated that, someone needs to explain why this property could not function properly and the overall excuse was, "I"m so sorry but we are sold out so that is why . . .

we have no milk at breakfast ( you didn't know you weer sold out 4 weeks ago to plan supplies?)

not enough clean linens

not a single fresh healthy item on the breakfast menu, no fruit or yogurt

NO HOT WATER at 8 AM every morning because if more than 20% of the guests are showering, the rest are out of luck.

We stayed for a total of 3 nights and were confounded that for the VERY high price of over $90 -$100 a room, say compared to a Comfort Inn in Indianapolis for $65 a night that had a fresh breakfast, how they can justify the 'choice' brand name.

Oh, and the ants in the bathroom weren't happy either.

Never again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank geoandsusan
Reviewed 5 May 2013

At midnight some enormously loud machine kicked on transforming my room into the interior of a passenger get. When management was informed I was told there was nothing that could be done. The next morning when approached about compensation for the miserable noise all night, the worker behind the counter "didn't know how to apply a discount" and her supervisor was "not answering". Horribly run hotel would not reccomend staying there.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Sleepinnsuxz
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed here overnight for a campus tour at GVSU. The hotel is clean but smells just like chlorine throughout from the pool (I guess). The beds were comfortable for me. It's conveniently located near the campus and other businesses.The staff was very friendly and kind. Nice variety of food for contential breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This the only Hotel located in the immediate GVSU area! I found the rooms less than Clean, and the Beds Extremely Uncomfortable! With that said, let me say...The staff, is the most wonderful group of people!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank itbemeronnab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allendale
Comfort Suites
Hampton Inn Holland
Hampton Inn Holland
#1 of 18 in Holland
Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to Sleep Inn , Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!