“I've Stayed in Worse....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alma Motel

Alma Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Alma
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“I've Stayed in Worse....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

After reading all the reviews I was really leery about staying here. It's not quite as bad as some of the reviews. Plain and simple, here goes, relatively clean, sheets/pillow cases/blankets tend to be well worn with some tiny holes/ragged edges (blanket), large room with 2 queen beds. Cheap. We were in the back unit which was pretty quiet. Didn't even consider eating their continental breakfast. Frootloops are NOT appealing. Bottom line, if you just need a place to sleep during the Highland Games for a couple of nights it's ok. It's NOT the Ritz Carlton and isn't advertised to be! Our vanity was outside of the bathroom which is a plus. The A/C worked, also a plus. Plenty of hot water. Large enough area for luggage that 2 suitcases could fit fine. Fridge was ok but no freezer door. If we go back to the Games we would definitely consider staying here as it is very handy to everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the rear unit!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bellbrat1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Beijing, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very noisy heating (also A/C) device with a fan that only knew one speed (the fast one) and very frugal (no bread/toasts, no jam, no butter, just coffee and a few spoonfuls of cereals that didn't seem very fresh) and very late (it's a motel, people get up early to drive on, 7:30 is way too late) breakfast

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel G

Travellers are raving about these Alma hotels

Jenison, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband booked a room for one night at the Alma Hotel and I wish he had read the Trip Advisor reviews prior to the reservation. When we arrived my first impression was how run down the motel looked. The woman working at the front desk was friendly and directed us to our room. We opened the door to a very run down looking room. It was a hot day and the room was warm so we went to turn on the air conditioner. It was disgusting. It looked dirty and had peeling masking tape all around it. We were supposed to have two double beds but instead the room had one. My husband went back to the desk and was given a key to another room, an upgrade in price. The second room was an improvement over the first with an air conditioner that looked newer and cleaner. The room looked clean but the bathtub had some type of stains. The ceiling of the bedroom seemed to be missing a smoke dictator. On the positive side, the Alma Motel had Wi-Fi and our second room had a small clean refrigerator and microwave and the TV worked. I would not recommend staying at the Alma Motel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liddy O
Lucinda, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

As advertised. The place in nice and clean. So are the prople that work there!! We used to live in Alma and are happy to find a nearby location we like!! Great for the price! The rooms are not very big, but it's not like we came there to spend all day in our room.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Todd L
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Generally clean but everything is falling apart in this old motel. Sheets with holes in them. Burned out light bulbs. Dirty old bathroom fixtures.
At check in the front desk clerk (owners daughter?) never smiled and didn't say 10 words total. Creepy.

• Stayed July 2012
South Bend, IN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I can overlook a lot of faults in a hotel. I don't care how out-of-date the decor is and I wouldn't even care if they didn't offer cable TV. What I can't deal with is waking up in the morning, and having NO HOT WATER for a shower!

Other issues: when I arrived, the man at the front desk didn't speak English. He had to go get someone else (his daughter?) to check me in. There were guests smoking right outside the entrance to the office. The breakfast was either raisin bran or fruit loops, and an unopened bag of Wal-Mart brand English muffins. Nothing else. All of the doors to the rooms open directly onto the parking lot, and guests who were leaving early in the morning were very loud - including multiple barking dogs. Don't plan on sleeping in.

I'll come up with some positives: location is good - easy to find off the highway & fast food restaurants next door. The wireless internet worked well. That's about it. For the low cost, I wasn't expecting much, but this was even below my much-reduced expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hickman
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I wish I had read the reviews of this motel before staying. This place is a dump! My first clue was the 'weekly rates' available, and it's a magnet for the homeless and/or destitute. The place is dirty and rundown, with many needed repairs and/or replacement of furnishings. I found the lamp by the bed had been spliced with an entirely different cord, with the wires loosely wrapped in electrical tape and then stuffed behind the bedside table. Another reviewer mentioned a lamp with wires cut and stuck directly into the outlet - I'm sure this is probably the exact same room, and they made a cheap and dangerous 'repair'. The management obviously puts very little back into the motel for upkeep. I was in this room for only about an hour before leaving and getting a refund - not only is this hotel and the rooms disgusting, that room in particular was infested with fleas or bedbugs, not sure which, but they were bouncing all over me when I laid down on the bed. UGH - I went to Mt. Pleasant and stayed at a Hampton - never again will I stay at the Alma Motel!

Room Tip: Drive another 15 minutes north and stay in Mt. Pleasant!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank David N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alma
Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Central Michigan University
Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at Centra...
#6 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant
Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant
#2 of 13 in Mount Pleasant
Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel

Been to Alma Motel? Share your experiences!