“Feels like visiting friends”
Review of Big Bear Lodge

Big Bear Lodge
“Feels like visiting friends”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Ok, so if you are looking for fancy high end lodging, this is not for you. As far as I know, there is no masseuse on staff. But if you are looking for clean, comfortable rooms and people who welcome you like friends, this place is awesome. In fact, my family doesn't stay anywhere else when we go rock hounding in Alpena. The place is family owned and run by kind, generous folks. We are happy to have found our home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tawas
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Outside of building looks great!! I called to make our reservation , only queen beds so we took a room with 2 queen beds.. When walking to our room, there were chicken legs spilled out on the sidewalk.. My husband unlocked the door ... Oh wow!! The carpet was filthy, the place looked like back in the 40s.. When I put my head on the pillow there was rumbling so I was awake most of the night.. The water heat kept making ticking noises all night .. Bathroom was pretty much a joke.. Not one place to plug in a curling iron or blow dryer :( The gentleman who booked me said "you are going to love your room" The kitchen light was burnt out. Only regular coffee was given. We won't go back.. Kind of a dump actually ...

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Elaine H
Sarah W, Owner at Big Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
HI Elaine, thank you for the response. We would like to thank you for trying our motel. We try very hard to make sure everyone has a clean and comfortable experience. I am sorry that you did not let me know that there were any problems/issues. I would have taken care of them immediately, as I told you when you left from checking in. if there is anything don't hesitate to call. As for chicken bones. we were obviously the victim of someone throwing them there. I clean it daily and had already done so that day in the morning. I clean all the ashtrays and sidewalks and grounds every morning. the light bulb has been replaced within a half hour of receiving your comments, I simply did not know it was not working.. the pillows have a barrier for the guests protection from head lice or any other things that may come from being in a people business. you can take the protectors off if you wish. we provide them as a courtesy for your protection as well as clean cases.. I also noticed that you did not mention how large the suite you had was or the brand new serta perfect sleeper mattresses with matching comforters, walk in closets , the bathroom is from the earlier era and most guests have commented how good shape they are in. if we spend the money to redo them. then the price increases for guests. we are trying to make a pleasant clean environment that is family friendly with out killing a vacation or travelers budget.. you also had a full eat in kitchen and full living room with large screen tv.. approximately 800 ft of living space for under 100$. I will look into the bathroom plugs and make adjustments as needed to give a home atmosphere. again , thank you for the reply. please accept our apologies for your stay. and please advise us next time so that we may address any concerns immediately.
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights to visit family. Yes the rooms are small but clean and comfortable. Rooms had everything we needed-fridge, microwave. Flat screen TV would have been nice. I can see this being a great place to stay during the summer. Its right across the street from a public park and beach. The staff were SUPER nice and accomadating! We were quite a distance from the front desk but still got good wifi signal. Yes the furnishings are dated but the bed was comfortable and the room was very neat and clean. We plan on staying here whenever we visit family.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thestarrynight79
Alpena, Michigan
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We enjoyed the location directly across the street from a public park on Lake Huron, a short walk to a terrific Supermarket, and next door to what we thought was the best restaurant in Alpena (we spent eight days in Alpena). The room had plenty of space and storage for two people. The was not much shelf space in the bathroom, but my measure of success in a hotel bathroom is hot water and great water pressure...and Big Bear Lodge had both of those. I had no trouble connecting to the free Wi-Fi and had good, fast service. Randy and Sarah make staying in the Big Bear Lodge seem like a B and B...one of the two (or both) is always there during the breakfast period to chat with the guests at the coffee table and offer advice and opinions on things to see and do in the local area. All in all, we had a great stay and would recommend the Big Bear Lodge to anyone searching for a place to stay in this price range.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rockytoo2
Michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband, daughter and I spent 4 nights at Big Bear Lodge on family business. The location is ideal, right across from Lake Huron and a few minutes drive to restaurants, downtown, the boat harbor, etc.
I have to start this review by saying Randy and Sarah Wilson, the owners are great people and will do anything to make your visit more enjoyable.
The rooms are very small, especially for 3 people. Rooms have a micro wave, coffee maker and small fridge. Not much closet space, extremely small bathroom, and small shower area. Plenty of hot water and the water pressure was great.
From what I understand the owners are fairly new and they are making improvements. My one gripe is the phones in the rooms were not working because the phone system is down and is quite costly to have repaired. So if you don't have a cell phone you are basically up a creek.
The pool was clean and fantastic, lots of chairs and umbrella tables around the pool area. Continental breakfast in the lobby.
I am very familiar with Alpena and know most of the motels are ancient and run down. Very few choices. I feel for what we paid for the room we didn't get much in return, however if you are looking for a basic room, no frills this would be great for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Xenia, Ohio
Reviewed 22 July 2013

After being on the road for several hours, car trouble and literally exhausted, we came to Big Bear Lodge right on US23 in Alpena. The motel is "vintage" but the room was quite comfortable, exceptionally clean, and very affordable. We rested very well. They also had Wi-Fi service which was one of the two places I could actually get on-line the whole week! Randy and Sarah Willson were very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was a nice touch. We would recommend this lodge to others. We will definitely stay here again on our trips to Michigan Now that we are aware of Big Bear Lodge, we will make reservations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MargienTim
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Big Bear Lodge and it was very clean and comfortable. Our room had a queen bed and it was $69 for the night. There was a large refrigerator in the room so you can leave your cooler at home. About a 4 minute drive to downtown Alpena. The rooms also had a local restaurant catalog with menus and locations of several area dining choices. We didn't go in the pool but it looked nice. If you're in town I recommend staying here and checking out the glass bottom boat tour.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sparticuslong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Ramada Alpena
#3 of 4 in Alpena
Churchill Pointe Inn
Churchill Pointe Inn
#1 of 2 in Hubbard Lake

Been to Big Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!